1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I add a solar 12 v. charger to optima battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Cheffaz, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Cheffaz

Cheffaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    By hooking it directly to the battery, putting the solar panel in the sun to keep it fully charged? It's 1.5 watts. 12 volts. It has a built in over charge protection. Any help?

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Make sure you have a fuse in series right at the connection to the battery. Yes it will be fine. It won't recharge a discharged battery but it may help to maintain the battery at a useful charge level.

3. Red09

Red09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Was just using one on my dying OEM battery to keep it charged while I was at work. It seemed to work fine except for the lack of sun this time of year.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the solar charger might help a dying battery make it through the sunny summer, but if you're having battery problems in the fall or winter I'd replace it because getting stranded in freezing weather is a thousand times worse than getting stranded in the summer.
    and ditto about not having any sun this time of year. I wish someone would make some solar fans to fit into those useless tiny triangle windows up front. because summer is plenty hot and plenty of sun so it would make more sense to run some sort of summer accessory on solar power.