1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I replace my battery for free with hybrid warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aoaosure, Aug 29, 2014.

1. aoaosure

aoaosure New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, everyone! I am a prius 2007 owner from Connecticut. And this is my virgin thread there.:)

The thing comes like this. When I was doing my routine maintenance two days ago, I was told by local Toyota dealer that I have to replace my battery, which would cost me $300, or my battery may die at any time.:( I was surprised but refused the replacement because I have no idea what's going on and wanna learn more about it. So when I go home and search it online, I learn that the prius hybrid system is quiet durable and replacement is rare. Also I find on ToyotaOwner website that every prius has a hybrid warranty as follows.

"Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Warranty & Maintenance Guide for details."

My little prius is 2007 years/85,000 miles, so the warranty apparently isn't expired. I wonder whether anybody had been into similar situation and can I replace the battery for free with the warranty? If yes, who should I contact, toyota or toyota dealer?

Looking for somebody to help me out.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are confusing the 12V battery with the hybrid battery.

At $300, the dealer is clearly referring to the 12V battery, which is a wear item not covered by the OEM warranty. The hybrid battery, when out of warranty, costs at least 10X as much.

PaulRivers, kenoarto and aoaosure like this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unsure what battery you are referencing.

The Hybrid Battery has a warranty, the minimum you reference in your post.

The accessory battery, would not be covered under warranty.

The Hybrid Battery outside of warranty can cost upwards of $3000 dollars to replace.
    The accesory battery...far, far less. Hundreds assuming you are paying to have the dealership install.

Was $300 a typo?

If it wasn't, then the dealership must be talking about the 12 vlt accessory battery.

Not under warranty...but yeah...you want that replaced.

aoaosure likes this.
  4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you have 7+ years on your 12V battery, yeah - it's time to replace it. $300? Sounds about right for a new 12V + labor, especially if you're not willing to do it yourself.

aoaosure likes this.
  5. aoaosure

aoaosure New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @fuzzy1 @The Electric Me Thank you guys for your information! Appreciate it!(y)

I just make a phone call to the dealer. As you guys say, the dealer confirms that it is 12V battery that is dying, so it is not within hybrid warranty.

Also thanks @RRxing for your advice on the price, I may schedule a replacement as you suggested!:)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is your 12 volt battery causing you any trouble?

7. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Your dealer is referring to the 12 volt battery. Better get it replaced ASAP.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, if it's the original 12V battery then you've got about 7 years usage out if it, which is a pretty good run.

Unlike a conventional car where the 12V battery is used to crank the engine, the prius 12V battery essentially only has to boot all the ECUs. So most people never notice when it's nearly dead, and it's pretty easy to end up stranded somewhere or to need a jump start (which can be risky on the Prius). So yeah, definitely better to get it replaced before it fails rather than after. :)

Around $300 seems about the going rate for a dealer fitted battery. If you shop around you can probably get the part for around $200 or maybe less, but it is a little more work to fit than on regular car.