1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can I use pressure washer to wash the engine bay?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vajratlr, Nov 6, 2013.

1. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, no??

Thanks!

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You can probably block off the important electrical parts with plastic and tape, but it would still scare the hell out of me. There are a lot of electronics on modern cars that can be damaged by moisture. Unless your car has an oil leak that has really buggered up the engine bay IMO it's best to leave it alone.

JMD likes this.
  3. Frogerelli

Frogerelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Remember these are anecdotal replies, but I think you would be ok running a open ended hose to wash/rinse off engine cleaner but not a pressure washer or even a spray attachment for the hose.

How dirty is it that it warrants washing? IMO the belly pan does a remarkable job keeping the engine bay clean.

4. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Only if your wife says it's OK. Then you can blame her if something goes wrong.

San_Carlos_Jeff and xpcman like this.
  5. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would not dare try it with a hybrid. There are big high voltage cables with their attendant sockets/plugs, the inverter, as well as an electric air conditioner and water pump. Water infiltration into any of these things could result in problems.mnot worth the risk without a compelling reason in my opinion.

hlunde likes this.
  6. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, I've had the car for over 3 years with 70k on it. and never cleaned it so it's pretty nasty. I'm selling the car right now as I got a pip.

7. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't know about a pressure washer but a hose certainly wouldn't present any more issues than a hard rain at speed. Don't get crazy with it and you should be fine. I've washed mine before and had no issues.

8. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Living rural I use a fire hose but reduce the pressure by not using fully open nozzle. I also use compressed air to dry the electrics off afterwards. However since plastic seals shrink with age and my Prius is 2010 with 100,000+ miles i am now covering some areas around the fuse box and inverter with plastic bags and gaffer tape. Mostly I am just washing off dust and rodent droppings.

rajoneshsv likes this.
  9. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I recall specifically reading in the owners guide that washing under the hood of the prius is not recommended due to the high voltage parts. I thought this was bogus though since I like powerwashing under the hood of my car once a year with my old impreza. With that being said, I used a degreaser and then powerwashed the impreza. I noticed that the motor running the belts and bearing noise etc got a little noisy after I did that.. Maybe the degreaser removed all the necessary lube to keep everything running smoothly.

I used to work in the detail department of Lexus and our team always powerwashed under the hood of all the new cars before delivery. This included the RX400h which is a hybrid as well. As far as I know, there were no problems that ever occured. But then again the lexus' engine bay has the major parts covered by plastic more so than the prius.

Just to be safe, I would never powerwash the engine bay of my prius. If you are selling it, maybe it won't matter as much to you :)

vajratlr likes this.
  10. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless it's very dirty, I would recommend selling it as is. Potential buyers would be able to use common sense to accept normal amount of dirtyness. Some buyers will like a newly washed engine compartment, but there are buyers like myself who will question why you cleaned it. When an private owner cleans the engine, it raises more questions than a clean-engine car from a dealer because that's what dealers do.

I supposed you can do it, but only if you know what you are doing and which areas to avoid, such as electrical connections, ignition coils on the valve cover, belts, inverter, etc.

Whatever you do, I would not recommend steam washing. Steam will enter electrical connections easier than water and over time will cause rust.

If it's just surface dust, I would use a vacuum and take my time.

vajratlr likes this.
  11. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

good point, maybe I'll just leave it as is.

I can't just use a vacuum though as you know how dirty it gets. The dirt on there is not something you can just vacuum off. It's stuck on there like glue almost. I guess I can just wipe it with a wet towel and call it done.

12. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can buy engine cleaning foam spray that can be washed off gently, no need to power wash. There is always risk with water getting in places it's not supposed to go. My nephew once fried ECU this way (in his car, not prius).

13. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Er, am I the only one who thinks:
    "bare hand + wet towel + 200-540 volts" = "TROUBLE" ?
    Right here in River City!
    And that starts with T and that rhymes with P and that stands for Prius!

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a little odd...: did you ever leave the oil filler cap off, have something disconnected? A spill? Maybe just an overenthusiastic mechanic with spray lube. It sounds like you have some sort of baked-on oil.

I had the hood up to check oil level yesterday. We've got just over 40000 km, pretty low. But it looks very clean. About a year back I went over what I could reach with the wet-dry vacuum, paint brush or two, and a cat-tail style brush in harder to reach corners. First I vacuumed, then switched it over to blow. Still looking near showroom condition.

Robert Holt likes this.