1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can my Prius jump-start another car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Johnnu, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Johnnu

Johnnu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The operator manual shows how to jump-start my Prius if my 12v battery dies. But I can't seem to find anywhere a process to allow my Prius to jump-start another (non-hybrid) car if it's battery is dead. Is it possible? If so, how? THANKS

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do some research here and talk to you service dept (it's been documented), but I think that is going to fry a lot of electronics ($$$$) on the Prius.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It is possible to jump-start another car with a Prius, but it's not recommended. The Prius 12V battery is NOT a "starting" battery, meaning it is not designed to deliver really high currents. You would shorten the battery's life using it to start another car. The Prius draws 50Amp pulses from it when you press the start button. This is from the electronics, not the engine "starter".
    Further, if you used the "boost point" under the hood you would put the 150 Amp fuse in danger (it's in line with the battery from the boost point). The battery is in the back, under the hatch floor (except in a "C", where it's under the rear seat and inaccessible for boosting). Putting booster cables on the battery would save the fuse, but again, the batteries life would be shortened using it to start an obsolete type car with a starter motor that draws 100s of amps.

If you want to boost other cars, purchase one of the portable "booster packs". They are inexpensive and often include useful things like lights and air pumps.

xpcman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you MUST start another car from a Prius, (and you are risking $4000 in inverter replacement if you do) then be very careful with the cables. A backwards connection is instant failure, and have your Prius in Ready and the other car off. Charge it for an hour then remove the cable BEFORE trying to start the other car. Almost any other car in the world is a better choice than your Prius.

Amazon.com: Schumacher XP400 400 Peak Amp Instant Portable Power Source: Automotive

5. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for asking this question, I've been wondering the same thing. Now I need to decide if it's worth $100 to buy one of those small portable charges that also will jump-start a vehicle.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I went a little nuts a few years back, got one of these:

Jump Starters - 1700 Peak Amp Volt JNC660 | Call us at 1-800-328-2921 |Clore Automotive

I was regularly jumpstarting a Maxima we were storing, that's my excuse. It was around $160 I think. One gotcha: the metal clamp handles have edges that can chew the insulation of the cable, if not wrapped on carefully. It can fit in the Prius hatch area under-floor tray, but is kinda heavy, around 20 lbs I think.

7. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Of coarse, those portable jump start units, have to be charged regularly to work, and then the batteries in them die off in 3-4 years. So how much do the really cost, for how much they are used & worth??? So many people have auto clubs for towing, road assistance, just call, its cheaper.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  9. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would not even think about doing it. Call AAA and let them do it.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While jumping a non-hybrid is possible (using the method Jimbo mentions at post #4 -- don't crank the other car while the jumpers are in place), the risks are still too high for me.

Given a choice between using my Prius to jump another car, or paying out of my own pocket for a roadside service call for a complete stranger, I'd choose the later. I've already had one past car suffer electrical failure the seemed likely to have been a delayed response to providing jump starts to several strangers. The Prius is much more susceptible to such damage, and much much more expensive to repair.

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately, this will only work if the other car's battery will accept a charge.

The jump pack, on the other hand, will work even if the battery is dead and won't accept a charge. Assuming the alternator in the vehicle is working properly. ;)

SCH-I535

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the risk, I wouldn't do it, even if possible.- Which I would guess it is.

But the truth is, given today's automobiles, and the complex electrical systems and computers, within most all vehicles, I don't like the idea of giving anyone a jump start.

Which is why I have a portable jump start/compressor.

If someone needs a jump, I can offer it. A whole lot easier and cheaper to replace if anything goes wrong.

Hate to be unhelpful if needed, but this isn't like the 70's when the lack of complexity of both vehicles made jump starting a pretty routine operation. Even if possible I just am not risking my investment. The Equation basically is...

$22,000+ Vehicle= Not a Jump Start Tool

$59.99 jumper and compressor system = Here, You Can Use This

13. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Jim, I looked at that when you mentioned it before, but nixed it for 2 reasons; it lacks a USB port and it's quite large compared to the PowerAll I'm considering. However, I just did a little more research and found the XP-500 with a USB port for only $8 more, but it's just as large. I've wanted a portable power pack that would fit on my camera bag, but didn't want to spend the money just to charge my phone. Then I found some can also jump-start a car and there's so much discussion about the battery here, that I figured I'd better consider it again. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but our upcoming trip will be the first time (I think) we'll be quite far from road services at times, especially in Wyoming, Montana and North Dakota, where I wouldn't want to be stranded waiting on road service from either Toyota or even AAA. I once left a portable cooler plugged in overnight and our departure in the morning was delayed over 2 hours because we had to wait on AAA. Yes, it was free, but then we had to make up the time and than meant cutting out a stop or 2.

Anyway, I don't really like the USB and power outlet being in the console and having to dig through stuff to get at them, but I don't know yet how much I'll even use them. The Garmin will be plugged into the outlet under the dash/console and my wife will probably need to charge her phone while we're traveling. I may buy this power outlet extender to better use the power outlet in the console. Then I could add the cheaper XP400 just for emergency starts and throw it in the back. FWIW, I have backup batteries for my camera, but I like to use an AC Inverter to charge a spent battery while we're traveling and not wait until we get to our motel for the night. I don't know if the Prius is any different than the van was as far as doing that is concerned. Given all the expensive electronics, I don't want to risk damaging things.

14. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You could jump another Prius but I wouldn't jump anything that requires amperage draw of any size .

The Prius battery basically just boots up the computer then the traction battery with the inverter takes over so no serious amperage is needed.

15. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With the way newer cars are (hybrid or not), it seems ever smarter to by "idiot proof" jumpers that won't work unless connected correctly.

I know people say not to jump start motorcycles off of car batteries (no real reason you can't), but I always tell people to just connect the cables so you are using the car battery to start the bike. A car's battery has way more CCA than a motorcycle needs to get started. You don't need the car running to get the job done.

I've almost never needed to jump start my truck (even though I have cables). I've thought about buying a "jumper cable" setup compatible for the Prius...so I have them if I ever need them.

16. Coolride17

Coolride17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wouldn't do it, the Prius 12batt. is not a battery you'd want to crank a car on, it just maintains the cars electronics. I don't jump cars anymore with any car of mine. Last time I jumped a small car with my full size van, their shorted alternator , blew my battery, and started a fire under my dash. They bought me a new battery, but I had to rewire a large section of my wiring harness under my dash. Mr. nice guy doesn't pay off.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In a real pinch the only way you could do it is to connect to the other cars battery with their ignition turned off and allow your battery with the inverter the charge their battery but do not allow them to crank it over until you are totally disconnected.... you do not want the amperage coming through your system

18. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV