1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can navigation rememeber my own route to a destination?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Richmond, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Richmond

Richmond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I want to drive from A to B. I put in B's address, nav shows me 3 routes from A to B. But I want to go by MY OWN route, and have Nav remember THAT SPECIFIC route from A to destination B.

In other words, once I enter a destination, can Nav track the actual route I take and store it for me?

2. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can follow the little tick marks left on the map (I call them breadcrumbs) back to your destination, but I haven't found that the Nav 'learns' from experience.

3. Richmond

Richmond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks mianerinexile.

I asked the dealer yesterday, he said it WOULD remember! I tried, but it didn't seem to work.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I know of.

5. Spenumatsa

Spenumatsa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Navigation system just tracks your route. It does not remember it.

6. EmuMessenger

EmuMessenger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Doubtful. I feel like the navi in my 99 and 03 TL's outperformed this system. After 2000 miles, I am not overly impressed.

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just curious--if you know how to get from A to B, why even bother with the nav, much less want it to store your route?

8. Richmond

Richmond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here are two examples of how this feature can be useful:

1. I am in a hotel (A) in a strange town, and need to drive to a site (B ) 20 miles away everyday for the next 2 weeks. On day 1, I have a local with me in the car, he tells me exactly how to reach B. He knows the most "efficient" route...roads with minimum traffic, stop lights, school zones, avoid rough neighborhoods, etc. This might involve 20 turns, freeways, 1-way streets, plus a covenient Starbucks en route, all of which I may not be able to memorize. I want NAV o remember THIS route for the next 15 days.

2. I might carpool with 3 coworkers to work, and it is my turn to drive. Once my 3 friends have told me on day 1 how best to reach them, I would like NAV to remember the routes (at least until I have done it long enough not to need NAV's help).

In short, remembering a specific route from A to B will really help in short-term repetetive situations...travellers, salesmen, newly relocated, etc.

9. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    FWIW, the Gen II has a nav feature called Route Trace. (Pg. 76 in
    the 2008 Navigation System Owner's Manual.) Don't know about the Gen III.

"It is possible to store the traveled route up to 124 miles (200 km) and
    retrace the route on the display."

Then it tells how to begin and stop recording the route.

I have never used this feature. It sounds like this is just an "out and back"
    sort of thing, and not something you can store and recall for use at a
    later time.

Close, but no cigar. :(

10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a situation where I suspected that the NAV learned my preferences. After several days of following a route that was close, but not exactly, the NAV selected route, it started recommending the route that I actually was using.

There certainly is no direct way to request this behavior, and I've never seen it in any other cases. But I did get a hint that it upgrades the scoring of various alternatives to include a route that you've followed before. Only Denso actually knows.

11. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The real test would be to disconnect your 12V battery to reset the Nav system (and, unfortunately, lots of other things), then try it again. To the best of my knowledge, the US Nav system doesn't have any non-volatile storage that could hold such data.

That said, my lack of knowledge is limitless.

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've saved a couple route traces but have not found a way for the nav lady to use them.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On marine and aviation navigation systems these are called routes and can be stored for later use. You create a series of waypoints and tie the points together into routes.

Unfortunately most automotive navigation systems lack this feature. I consider it a big omission. I often use the nav system on routes I have driven before, as it helps me remember lane changes, and displays time and distance information, but often I want to customize some portion of the route.

The only way to simulate custom routes with the Prius nav is to save a series of destinations, and then link these destinations. Each destination serves as a waypoint on the route. Unfortunately you can't save the route, but you can save the destinations. You have to link the destinations each time you use the route.

Tom