1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can someone translate this 押しちゃイヤ!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mlibanio, Dec 23, 2010.

1. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi Everyone, I am trying to translate this into english. I am asking for help from all Generations of Prius owners hoping someone speaks Kanji and Katana and can translate this for me. I found this in the G1 Prius I have in a secret TV menu I discovered by accident. I have translated most of what is on the screen. The first line says, Car Model Code, the second line I have been unable to translate completely but assume it means Destination Code, but the line underneath I really need help on it says this
    押しちゃイヤ! which translates badly to Press Ear Tea! I know the two buttons mean next page and previous page. PLEASE HELP ANYONE. Here is a picture of what it looks like. Thank you to everyone. I have already posted in the G2 Prius and G1 Prius forum. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ear pressed tea....at least that's Google Translate says.......

3. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    LOL! I know I tried that in Google Translate, I nearly fell of my chair laughing! After three days of finding all the correct characters, I excitedly input them into Google, and when that came out, I laughed my head off!

However when you remove the second last character, it says Immediately Press, but Google is clearly mistranslating something. I can't wait until someone helps with this! Thanks.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well lucky for us all, I am having Sushi for dinner, I will print this out, and ask my good friend Kimura San, and see what he says!!! God knows I have helped him with his English all these years, he owes me a translation!!![​IMG]

OK I had to use my wifes Win 7 computer to display and print Japanese characters.

We are good to go!!!

5. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you so much! I would buy you a Sake if I was close by! Enjoy! And I can't wait to hear back!

6. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, back from dinner, I had a excellent time. I gave my friend the paper, and said, OK, what does this mean? He looks at it, starts pronuncing the characters, and at last says, first, this is written in the female form, at that point the lady owner and Kimura start going on back and forth, I do not speak Japanese, he finally turns to me and says...."Do Not Push"

OK, makes sense......
    So what ever you do,

DO NOT PUSH.....

8. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's correct.

The Google machine translation is interesting...
    押し -> push or press (correct translation)
    ちゃ -> it's pronunciation is same as 茶 in Japanese -> tea in English -> correct translation is "a thing or a matter", but it's almost no meaning
    イヤ! -> it's pronunciation is "iya" -> "ear" in English -> correct translation is "don't do it"

Ken@Japan

2 people like this.
  9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I might have to write that one down. :)

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks for the information and laugh. If anyone could write the same message in Vietnamese and Laotian, it would be of use to me.

I am now recalibrating an infrared gas analyzer I sent to Vietnam, because my (otherwise delightful) collaborators there pushed the two 'never push these buttons' buttons. So labelled only in English, unfortunately.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So you can yell "iya!!!!" in the office instead??

reminds me of another funny "lost-in-translation"... remember Star Wars when Luke says "Noooo!!!" and in chinese, it was translated to "bu yao!!!" which was (correctly) translated back into English (it had subtitles) to "Do not want!!!" lol

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like a good translation to me. Where's the problem?

The Chinese to English result is a bit strange for an English only speaker, but the meaning is still clear. The reason for no being translated as bu yao makes sense because there is no word for no in Chinese.

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No wonder why Chinese people say yes to everything :D

14. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Funny though because I have hit both buttons God only knows how many times and absolutely nothing happens, it beeps and that is it. The only thing I notice it does do is reset my MPG reading, while my mileage stays in perfectly the way it was, so I can have 300 miles, and 99 mpg and I can impress all my friends!!!

I know this is the screen where you can change the Temperature and Units display on the screen by switching Destination codes from 0001= USA, 0002= Japan, 0003= Europe, 0004= Canada and 0005 = Australia. I am a Canadian but have a USA car, so my destination code says 0001, while the picture I displayed is from a fellow Canadian Prius owner and his says destination code 0004.

I am going to find the answer for all our benefits, maybe it can help G2 and G3 owners too!

Thanks so much everyone for your help.

1 person likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not a problem. The statement you said above is the reason why it's funny :D and only funny to us.

16. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Ken, my Japanese is a bit rusty (especially written) but that seems very informal, almost a slang form. I would have expected something more like 押さないで下さい for example. Is it a standard phrase often found in similar interface situations?

- D