1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can the smaller Prius C battery power household appliances?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by studiopeg, Oct 30, 2012.

1. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

We were going to buy the kit to use my 2007 Gen II Prius to act as a generator in power outages, but it looks like I am going to trade for a new Prius C.

I've searched the internet and cannot find anything definitive that says the smaller C's battery can handle being a generator.

Anyone have a pointer?

Thanks.

2. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

No one here knew, so I contacted a maker of the plug-out module that lets the Prius power your home appliances. Right now they only have a very small kit for the Prius C that will power 1kw. That's not enough to power very much - some lights, a fridge, but no heating system or microwave. They said they are working on a kit for the C and may have something next year. Bummer!

3. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the traction battery for the Prius C is only .9kwh. To make the battery last a long time and to avoid cell reversal it isn't a good idea to use the whole .9kwh. Toyota doesn't fully charge or discharge the battery, so you shouldn't either. It's probably only safe to use .5kwh. That isn't much energy at all for a house.

4. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

yeah that...

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wouldn't be so concerned about the HV battery pack size. People can hook up inverters to non-hybrid cars which have no HV battery pack.

Assuming you're hook up to the 12 volt battery terminals and putting the car in READY mode, the issue I'd be concerned about is mainly the DC to DC converter output and the max # of amps it can output along w/the amperage ratings on the fuses and fusible links associated with it.

6. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

My boss just got his 08 Prius outfitted with both the plug in and plug out kits. Sweet. He can charge it as well as run appliances with it

7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Who supplied the kits?

8. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

Home (converdant.biz)

We've met the guy who started the company, a real brain. I hope he comes out with something for the C soon.

ftl likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    overpriced 1 kw kit. 2, 3 and 4 look interesting. they would have to connect directly to the hybrid battery. any idea how they are doing that?

10. born_again

born_again Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How about a couple of Honda generators?

11. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

My husband knows as he talked to Randy (the owner) extensively at a solar show. I'll ask him what he knows.

12. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

The Prius is more efficient, the gas will last all week whereas a generator's gas won't. We're wired for a gerneator (Hubby does like the Hondas) but we're intriqued by making our Prius into a generator.

13. CAlbertson

CAlbertson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Who makes that kit? For my needs 1kw is more than enough. I want to use it as a power source when I'm away from home.

14. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

coverdant.biz

I may buy the 1kW kit for our leaf blower and electric chain saw

15. Prius C2er

Prius C2er New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What a great idea!
    I read through the site, but maybe I missed it. Does the car have to the key in the Ready position in order to be used as a generator? I only ask because I'd worry about someone stealing the car.
    Also, I'm wondering why the focus is on the battery capacity. For generators, the capacity is dependent on the size of the motor to make more power. Shouldn't the size of the engine be the number which determines the maxium power output?
    Anyway, thanks for the links and getting me thinking!

16. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

Yes I'm pretty sure it must be in READY mode. I live in the boonies so the thought of someone stealing the car never occurred to me, but yeah you are right, that's a concern.

I'm not sure about your other questions, I'm a layman, my husband is the one who did all this research. I'll ask him!

17. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can lock the car with the mechanical key.

18. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

I always forget about that key. My fob stopped working once and I stood there for 10 minutes thinking about how I was going to get into the car. Then I remembered that key, doh.

19. Prius C2er

Prius C2er New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm, that and use some sort of steering wheel lock?
    If anyone tries these solutions, I'd love to hear about it. I have an inverter that I can connect to the battery/cigarette outlet but it's not an ideal solution for camping or in an emergency.

20. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    See my post in this thread about using my C to power house essentials during a just-ended five-day outage.

I parked the car behind the house right up at the kitchen door with my wife's car blocking it in and ran an extension cord through the passenger-side window. I ran the window up tight enough to trap the cord without crushing it, then put the car in Ready mode and locked it with the key.

After the power came back on this evening, the C reported being on for 54 hours and had used about 0.5 gallons of gas to run an 80-watt inverter plugged into the accessory (lighter) socket. I estimate that the average draw was about 40 watts for the period, based on readings from a Kill A Watt meter.

janda55803 and Prius C2er like this.