1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can Toyota dealer charge a 2001 Prius traction battery?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Mr_I_Want_More_MPG, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Mr_I_Want_More_MPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My dealer is telling me that they can't charge a main battery. I drained mine when car stopped running on highway due to water in fuel. Had kids in car and tried to get off the next exit. Didn't make it. Battery is 13 months old.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Last I knew Toyota regional had HV battery chargers, the dealer can request to borrow one when it becomes available

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After you put good gas in the tank, did you do a 12V reset by disconnecting the ground for 30-60 seconds, and trying again?

Bob Wilson

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are some independent shops like mine that may be able to help as well.

I can charge up batteries at the shop or the customers home.

Where are you located?

5. lostwithgps

lostwithgps Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am having a similar issue. The car has been sitting in the cold for too long (3 months), and now it would not go to "READY". Basically this is what happens:

1. Insert the key. Turn ignition to ON.
    --> Dashboard lights come on, along with the clock, the screen, beeping sound, etc. The the brake pump also starts working if vacuum level is low. Everything seems normal up to this point.

2. Turn the key to "START" and release.
    --> Dashboard, the screen, and the clock go dim when the key is at the "START" position, but come back on when the key is released back to ON. Screen resets (the Toyota logo shows up), and the red main battery error icon is flashing in the screen. The car is not "READY".

3. If I repeat step 2 several times, occasionally I hear several clicking sounds near the battery vent on the rear passenger side (it sounds like something was trying to start but couldn't).

4. I used the hidden screen to check on the 12V battery level, which fluctuates around 10.8~11.1V when ignition is ON. I know it's somewhat low (the battery is shot), but this used to be enough to start the car.

My questions are:
    1. Could the red flashing main battery icon on the screen mean the SOC is too low to start the ICE (among other meanings)?

2. Is there no other way to charge the battery other than using Toyota's special equipment? I seem to recall that Prius should not be towed backwards with the front wheels rolling on the ground. I was thinking because the front wheels are connected to MG2, maybe this has something to do with preventing overcharging and damaging the battery, but Patrick Wong kindly informed me that this is not possible if the car is not in READY. I think I am misunderstanding something here...

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    4. It would really help if you had a decent and fully-charged 12V battery installed.
    2. It is true that MG2 is always connected to the front axle. Towing the car results in the creation of high voltages within MG2. That voltage is not being put to any productive use (for example, charging the traction battery) and can damage the MG2 stator windings. That is why it is not recommended that the Prius should be towed with the front axle on the ground.

7. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a friend of a friend who has a car shop diagnose the fuel problem. Not sure what he tried but he is the one who said it needed to be charged. That's when he towed to a Toyota dealer. He assumed they could charge it. The dealer says they can't charge it and recommended a new battery.
    I'm in Connecticut. Anyone know of any shops that can charge my battery? The dealer is trying a few more things and will get back to me on Monday.

8. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer can get a charger from Toyota.
    Call Toyota customer service and ask for some assistance if the dealer does not seem to know how to get one.

Alternately call a local makerspace, perhaps they can link you up with a 350 volt DC charger.
    Here is a space in Watertown, CT. Is that near you?
    www.connecticuthackerspace.com | Learn-Make-Share

9. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer and Toyota customer service weren't much help. Dealer gave up, didn't charge me a penny, and says there is no way for them to charge the main battery. Another dealer said they could but couldn't give me a price. I may stop by tomorrow to talk to them as I only talked to a phone person who in turn went and relayed my questions. Not too familiar with a makerspace. Watertown isn't too far away though.

10. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would be happy to call ahead and prep them a bit on your situation and explain what you need.
    Where is the car right now?

usnavystgc likes this.
  11. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First dealer gave up and said they had NO means of charging the battery. Said they could start with a new battery. Got my car the hell away from there. Another dealer said they could get Toyota to come charge it but they wanted to diagnose it to make sure it can be charged. Wanted $97 for diagnostics and $267 for charging. I opted to buy a charger from Venice Hybrid Tech for $290. Charged it myself. Got car running but now have some hybrid codes still to deal with.

usnavystgc likes this.
  12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just had a customer whose dealer refused to charge up his hybrid battery even though he offered to pay for it. Dealer said they do not do that kind of service. The dealer was more than happy to sell him a new battery though. Huh?

13. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Codes seem to be gone. Battery is showing full charge after driving about 8 miles. No thanks to Toyota.

14. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure why there are some dealers not willing to help. I have heard it is a hassle for them to get the charger from the regional place where it is usually kept. For example, for Wisconsin, the guys have to drive down to Illinois to pick up the charger.

On a related note, don't know if you've seen my posts on other threads, but I will soon be selling chargers that consumers can use to charge up their battery themselves.

Beyond just emergency recharging, you can use it to grid charge your battery to keep it healthy.
    Often grid charging can help recover batteries that have simply become out of balance from sitting or non-use.
    I'll post more about it this week once I have the pricing figured out.

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, pls let us know ericbecky

16. Mr_I_Want_More_MPG

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am officially declaring my car fixed!! No codes. Runs perfectly. All due to water in the fuel. Thanks Raj at Venice Hybrid Tech. While his charger looks like a home-built unit it worked as promised. As for cooling while charging I did it overnight in a 35 degree garage. Quite relieved that I was able to get ti fixed. I do have mixed feelings about the Prius now. Seems like a lot of stuff to go wrong as these cars get older. And certain problems can be compounded by having a battery discharge. I am at least a bit wiser now and know where I stand with Toyota dealers (and it isn't good).

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Out of curiosity, for those who have built or experimented with grid chargers:

Has anyone observed what happens if a grid charger is connected to the plug-to-nowhere and the car is key-ON-but-not-READY?

I assume in that state the system main relay is open, so nothing is happening to the traction battery except charging, but there will be 12V supplied to the battery ECU and the OBD-II buses. Can the ECU be queried for live temperature and block voltage readings under those conditions? Will it power the fan in response to temperature?

Anybody seen whether the plug-to-nowhere connections are upstream/downstream of the current sensor donut? Is the current flowing from the charger reflected in the battery current parameter $a3? (I know the charging current is pretty small compared to the operating range, but PID a3 seems to have 0.01 A resolution, so a 350 mA charge current should be easy to spot, as long as the wiring does go through the sensor.)

And, if the voltage and current readings are visible to the ECU in such a state, does it also increment the SoC reading?

Thanks,
    -Chap

18. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For various reasons, I would not use the plug to nowhere. Better to just make your own interface.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting. How/where does your product connect?

-Chap

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    LOL! Just the Prius . . . all the other cars work better as they age?

Bob Wilson