1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can you install two devices off the one mirror wire tap (Radar detector and dash cam)?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by priusenvious1, Nov 13, 2014.

1. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just wondering if this would be a problem or risk to install both of these things off of the homelink mirror wiring by the windsheild.

I have a Valentine One radar detector and a Dash Cam. Below is the power info I could gather.

Valentine one

11.0-16.0 Volts DC negative ground
    225 mA typical standby, 425 mA maximum
    alarm condition

Dashcam
    VoltageDC12-24V
    5 volt 2Amp

Amp draw:
    seq -- function/status -- current drawn in amps

1 gps locked, recording, screen on, led blue flashing, 0.50
    2 gps locked, recording, screen off, led blue flashing, 0.38
    3 no gps, recording, screen on, led blue/red flashing, 0.40
    4 no gps, standby, screen on, led blue, 0.32
    5 no gps, standby, screen off, led blue, 0.26
    6 no gps, motion detection on, screen on, led blue flashing, 0.39
    7 no gps, motion detection on, screen off, led blue flashing, 0.31
    8 no gps, motion detection on, screen off, led solid blue, 0.22

Links where I got the info

Here is the Valentine One power info: http://www.valentine1.com/v1info/pdf/manual_2012/Pg34_Specifications.pdf

Here is the Dash Cam power info: Power Requirements - Mini 0801 Ambarella | DashCamTalk

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Equally as important of a question, how much load will the mirror attachment point at the glass withstand before it just drops off, or the window breaks?
    I just added a Garmin 20 Dashcam to my mirror stalk. It fit perfectly behind the mirror! So, the total is 1 Garmin 20, 1 Head unit for a FT-8800 Transceiver, 2 Blendmount kits, geeze I love these things... and the mirror. The video is steady on the drive so the car is not vibrating, other than road surface conditions. How much will it hold ....?

Blendmount.com - Standard Mirror Identification

Garmin Dash and Backup Cameras

It has been mounted for 3 weeks now, so far so good. Next time I have an accident, I will have a video also!

3. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Did you hardwire both of these to the wire in the mirror? If so and you have no problem. I should be good.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually no, I ran a separate 18 Ga wire for the camera, the Head unit derives it's power from the rest of the radio which is mounted in the rear of the car. I would plan on running a separate power line like I did, tap into the Cig lighter, on a Gen II it's on the ACC PWR buss!