1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot remove oil filter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by car78412, Aug 1, 2012.

1. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would appreciate any suggestions on removing the oil filter on my Prius. I have the correct oil filter wrench but it is on so tight I cannot loosen it. I am turning it to the left, and the clip on the oil filter casing is not preventing me from turning it. I chalk this up to me getting free oil changes from Toyota. The untrained have not tightened it to specs and now I cannot loosin it. I also discovered that one of the clips holding the plastic flap closed is missing. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do not want to go back to DCH Toyota in NY. They are the worst!!!!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, had the same problem. Just make sure you have a proper fitting wrench. Attach a breaker bar and have at it. It will come.

I have no idea why the service techs do that!

3. DAFTEK

DAFTEK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Buy Honda Civic Accessories - Maintenance Items
    Genuine Factory Honda filter wrench. This filter wrench fits the 15400-PLM-A01 and 15400-PLM-A02 filters.

Works on my 07 civic and my 2010 prius. And far cheaper then the toyo wrench.. :)

Mendel Leisk and TsKarma like this.
  4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any 64mm oil filter wrench will work. It needs to be 64mm though. I tried a more standard 65mm but it would slip off when trying to apply torque to it.

Spiderman is right. I think the dealer service techs use an air wrench to put them on. I had to use a breaker bar each time after a dealer oil change. Once I started doing all of my own oil changes I no longer have a problem getting the filter off.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I may be in the minority here, but I am successful using a rubber strap wrench. Use it near the circumferential end, not in the middle.

EVO ? 2

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tried a rubber strap wrench after my first dealer oil change and could not budge the oil filter. Now that I am changing my own oil and filter I am sure the rubber strap wrench will work just fine.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I also use a Honda wrench. t's about 64.5 mm inside face-to-face, and 14 faces. It's got a different part number, but that's likely because it's over 20 years ago I got it.

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    TsKarma and LulzChicken like this.
  9. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the same problem after my "Toyota Care" was up. I took it to the dealer and argued with the service manager who told me it was my fault since I had the wrong wrench. I have the Toy640 wrench that they use in the shop.

Either way, a guy put it on his lift and standing up with a foot long socket and 225 lbs behind him got it off. No way I was getting that thing off with rhino ramps on my back. It is why I do it myself.

TsKarma and jdcollins5 like this.
  10. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's why I avoid stealerships. There's ABSOLUTELY no reason why anyone should over tighten an oil filter - EVER!!! I have never heard of anyone needing a breaker bar to loosen an oil filter before.

Danny3xd and Prius Maximus like this.
  11. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is the conclusion of my oil filter event. I took the Prius back to the dealership who did the last oil change (DCH). I calmly explained my issue with the oil filter. He asked me for my keys and had me sign a work order for a free oil change and he apolgized for the inconvenience. I spoke to the service person changing the oil. He showed me the oil filter wrench he uses that was specifically made for the new toyota cartridge oil filters. What was unique about this oil filter wrench was that it had 2 slots on either side that slid over two prongs that extended from the filter cap. This made it impossible for the filter wrench to slip or come off when removing. He purchased it from Snap-On tools. It cost about $31.00. The part number is ofwtoy4. I don't know if this will solve the problem because the wrench I used did not slip. It fits perfectly. The problem was that it was on so tight, I couldnt budge it from being on my back with the car up on ramps.
    The service employees that change the oil on your Prius are the same employees that are from Jiffy-Lube or any other oil changing facility. The training they receive is about Nil. They get about 10 bucks an hour and don't give a hoot about you or your Prius. So don't believe for one moment that your Prius is being serviced by trained technitions at a Toyota Dealership. You probably know more about your Prius than the employees at your service facility at Toyota.

Prius Maximus and TsKarma like this.
  12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the follow up. Did the tech tell you why in the world they torque the sucker down so?

13. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And how hard did they torque it down this time? :(

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, they should not need a positive locking socket to loosen it. Magicians have a name for this, maybe redirection?

Anyway, the torque spec is is 18 foot pounds for the filter, 27 for the drain plug (14mm socket).

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad I decided to do the first oil change myself. I had the car up on ramps, expecting a fight and the cartridge housing came right off, without a struggle. It was put back on with a torque wrench.

16. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I asked the oil change person (I cannot call him a technition) I did not receive an answer. I also asked the service writer and also did not receive an answer. I was just told that if it happens again, give them a call to arrange another free oil change. I believe that it is cheaper for them to give free oil changes to the few that actually change their own oil and complain than train a $10/hr employee that will probably leave after working there a month.

17. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    well there you go, every 10k mi, put the car up on ramps and tighten that filter!

18. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like your response but can't bring myself to do that.

19. cgz206

cgz206 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used this one to remove the filter, but broke it because too tight. Somebody suggested using a Honda one. I am going to try.

20. Indiana Prius

Indiana Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After I could not loosen my filter cap with the correct wrench and a breaker bar at home I took it to my local shop who end up braking the cap wrench it two before they had to break the cap to get it off. Cost me an extra $49 for a new oil ilter plastic caniter. Something is wrong with this design or some techs are way over torqing on reinstall.