1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't lock your keys in the car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rep308, May 10, 2008.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No misunderstanding, RS, I was just making a joke. Just playing the buffoon. The same as, "would someone call the locksmith; I've locked my keys in my car, the windows are down and it's starting to rain."

2. wiiawiwb

wiiawiwb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As I mentioned before I leave the spare key in the car. I am not concerned about someone breaking in but am concerned about me losing the main key and being stuck a good distance from home.

Would it make sense to leave the spare key at home but keep the codes that were attached to it in the car? That way if you're away from home and lose your keys wouldn't a dealer nearby have the codes to reformat a new one?

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe i missed it... If you leave the car on, you can not use the key fobs to unlock the car. you have to use the metal key.

I used to do this when i worked as a delivery guy for Cookies By Design. 200 miles a day. a/c 24/7.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to think that keeping the spare with you, not in the car, but separate from the main key would be the better strategy. Then if you manage to lose one you'll have the other immediately with you. No need to involve a dealer or locksmith and no possibility (however remote) that the car could be stolen.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Further, if you just have the codes, you will have to purchase a new FOB, ($150 or so), and pay the dealer to program it into the car (another $40 or so). I don't remember how many FOBs can be programmed in at the same time, but it's often only two. So when you get home you'll have to "store" the extra "non-programmed" FOB (which would have been bumped out of the car's programming).

It's just so much better to carry the FOB on your person in a safe manner. Try a neck strap. Or perhaps tape it in a money belt if you wear one. Anything to ensure it's with you most of the time.

6. nuclianba

nuclianba Jr Member? Thats what she said

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Im pretty sure the computer has memory slots for up to and including 5 different key fobs....

For me, I live dowtown and park in a tandem spot, so my neighbor has my second key fob so he can move my car when I park him in. But me and my wife both use our car...so she cant bury our one remaining fob in her purse and I cant bury it in the deep recesses of my jeans pocket. We have a hook inside our apartment where the key always hangs, and when either of us drives, the deal is we put the keyfob in the ignition thingy near the start button. When you get out the car with the engine off and the keyfob in that hole, it dings at you (much as it would if the lights are on) so that we remember to take it, NOT drop it in our purse or backpack or pocket, and hang it back on that hook in our apartment.

I probably should just stop being cheap and buy another keyfob :(

7. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I love the SKS on this car ... I love being able to unlock or lock all the doors while leaving the keys in my pockets. almost as convenient and safe as fast biometric ID would be.

8. Snowtoes2

Snowtoes2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh yes you can! Don't know how I did it, but I certainly did. And as I have only 1 smart key, I had to get AAA to come use a jimmy to open it up for me.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are some dead spots in the car where you can leave a fob unnoticed. The size of the dead spots increase with a weak fob battery or if the fob is contained in some sort of a package.

Tom

10. rinabeana

rinabeana New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had a Prius for almost two months. I love almost everything about it. However, today my keys got locked in the car. I do not say that I locked them in because I did not actually lock the car. I drove three other people to a meeting about an hour out of town, at a house in the woods. I saw no need to either lock the car or bring my purse in the house. So the key fob was in the purse on the floor of the backseat. I did not lock the car and my passengers said they had not either. However, when we went to leave, the doors were locked. I had to wait for the guy AAA sent for 90 minutes and then when he got the slim jim inside and pushed the unlock button, nothing happened. He was saying this had happened with Toyotas before and that I'd have to get it towed to a dealership (and I was starting to panic) when I asked him to push the power button to turn on aux power and then roll down a window. It worked! However, to say I was not pleased by the whole affair is an understatement.

A few times I've gone out to the car in the garage in the morning to find it locked, when I know I didn't lock it the night before. Of course, when I'm at home I don't leave my keys in the car and I have an extra set anyway.

11. TheMayneLine

TheMayneLine New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  12. TheMayneLine

TheMayneLine New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As odd as it sounds I came here because I NEED to lock my keys in my car. I have someone driving my car from one location to another. When they get there I wanted them to lock the key in the car. I will use my spare to unlock the car and drive home.

I attempted every variation of locking the key in the car I could think of. In short if the car detects the key on the inside, it will not let you lock the doors. If the car does not detect the key inside, you somehow shield the key, you can not lock the door with the button on the outside of the door.

Solution: I will have the guy pop the fuel door. Lock the car doors with the key fob. Put the key in a baggie and place it behind the fuel door. Close the fuel door locking it in. When I get there, I can unlock with the spare and retrieve the key behind the fuel door.

13. GoesStation

GoesStation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just turn off the smart-key system by pushing the square button well below the steering wheel. The manual has a picture showing where this hard-to-spot button is.

Now your friend can leave the fob in the car for you to pick up later, and the 12-volt battery won't discharge while the car sits waiting for you.

But the gas filler does sound like a fairly secure hiding place for the fob that will be left in the car. It'd be easy enough for a thief to force it open, but I imagine most thieves wouldn't think to look there.

14. derh2o

derh2o Junior Member

WARNING--if you hear one beep when you lock your doors, that is an indication you have a weak FOB battery. Change the battery immediately upon hearing that beep. Several times i heard the beep when looking my door and ignored it. Then, when out of town, i left my FOB in the car. There was enough battery to lock the doors, but not enough to unlock it. I had to call AAA to bail me out of my problem.

15. Peneloprius

Peneloprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What if you WANT to lock yourself IN - say a bad neighborhood or something?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep driving, the doors won't unlock over 15 mph.

17. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    you can lock yourself in with the lock button on the door I believe. I wish the doors would lock automatically once you start driving.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no setting?