1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't transfer phone contacts

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dkittleman, Mar 26, 2012.

1. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting. I wonder why the technicians said they see more problems with Verizon iPhone contact transfers than ATT iPhones.

2. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Nokia X7 will not transfer contacts because it seems that Symbian OS is not compatible. However my Nokia 710 with Windows 7 OS works like a champ.

There may be some specific requirement from Verizon that AT&T does not have for how the contact info is formatted. Wonder if Toyota has another update on the way to supersede the v11 that we now have.

3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tried saving contacts to USB drive. Put the USB drive in the USB port on the Prius. Went to Stored/Contacts and the Save to USB and Restore Contacts from USB but no joy. The Restore from USB was greyed out.

Solved the problem with Prius not reading the contacts, I had 1200 contacts since in Outlook and Apple this is also the email address file. Shortened it to 200 address and phone numbers and Prius can read all the phone number contacts.

Cannot read ANY of the Phonebook addresses. Could not find any way to edit the addresses that the Prius could read.

4. Philip Lau

Philip Lau New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

5. Philip Lau

Philip Lau New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hello All, this is my first post/reply.
    I have a 2010 Prius V, purchased recently.
    When I first connected my iPhone4 to the
    bluetooth NAV System, it linked up and when
    I went to the "phonebook", it asked me if I wanted
    to transfer contacts, and it did. Later, I increased
    my contacts via Outlook, synced in iTunes,
    but the NAV system could neither "replace"
    or "add" to contacts. It just got stuck on this
    Data transfer screen and never completed.
    I solved my problem and deleted the first
    iPhone, then reloaded it again. When it
    asked to load contacts again, it loaded my new
    contact list in seconds, now 556 of 1000 free.
    Btw, in reference to a .vcf file, Outlook can
    import it, but not export contacts in that format
    that I could see. I'm able to play songs via
    iPhone bluetooth and iPod USB, seamlessly.

6. hubsm

hubsm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just bought a 2012 Prius 5 (not V) with the advanced technology package. I have a Motorola Droid X, through Verizon, which is compatible according to the list in Entune. The only caveat listed is that there may be some problems with Pandora. The phone connected thru Bluetooth without a problem but every time I try to load contacts I get "Transfer Failed". I sync my phone from Outlook using MyPhoneExplorer - one of the few programs that will sync from Outlook to Android. Unfortunately, the whole "convert to a .vcf file is a bit over my head. I know this might seem to be a restatement of the original problem, most of the posts here are referring to a Nokia non-smart phone and an iPhone, not an Android smartphone. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have that do not include the words "buy a new phone". thanks

7. 711Amsterdam

711Amsterdam New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings (and I hope someone can prove that what I am writing is wrong).
    My set-up: 2013 Prius 4 and a Droid Razr Maxx. I have all my contacts syncing to the phone through Google.

I have learned 3 sad things about the transfer of my Google contacts to the Prius:
    1. Google Contacts are NOT supported. Per Toyota tech support (which took 8 days to finally call me back), the only contacts which can be transferred are those that are stored on the PHONE itself.
    2. .vcf file transfer from USB is NOT supported. The manual is WRONG. Shame on Toyota for leading us down this path. Attempting to explain the disconnect between manual and reality, the tech said that, "this feature didn't make it into the car."
    3. The only fix I can see is to transfer all of the contacts to the phone, sync the phone, save the important contacts as stored contacts, re-sync the phone to Google Contacts, and accept that the Prius and the phone will be out of sync. I'm hoping someone (anyone?) can outline a different plan b/c I really don't want to be faced with the prospect of losing Google Contacts in the process (or duplicating contacts in the un-doing process). Help???!!!

8. hubsm

hubsm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am using MyPhoneExplorer to sync. Supposedly it syncs directly from Outlook. I guess I will have to check with their tech support and see if they are somehow using Google Contacts in the process. I chose MyPhoneExplorer a couple of years ago because I did not want my contacts moved to Google. Perhaps I was fooling myself. I wonder if anyone else on this forum is using MPE.

9. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, you are correct it has nothing to do with service provider.

Correction on part 2: it has nothing to do with OS file formating. With older Nokia phones symbian phonebook transfer are done using object push profile (OPP). Its a fairly loose spec and different ppl may implement it differently causing compatibility problems. even for the same version of OPP different implementation can cause such issue.

NineScorpions likes this.
  10. hubsm

hubsm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I found the solution for my DroidX. I did not realize that you have to give the car permission to access the phonebook from the pull down menu on the phone. If you don't know to look there you would never think to do it. I read it on another forum. Sure enough, it worked and the phonebook downloaded fine.

BTW, MyPhoneExplorer, free from the Google Play Store, does not use Google Contacts - the contacts are copied directly to the phone from Outlook.

11. vito.a

vito.a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I also just found the solution for transferring contacts from my Verizon Droid RAZR. Same as hubsm. I had to select share contacts from the phone contacts menu, share through Bluetooth, then select all the contacts, then select share once or always.

I suspect each model of phone is different and tech support as well as instructions are not up to speed.

12. DaveP_BurrRidge

DaveP_BurrRidge New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

I have a proven solution. Using the iPhone 5s and my 2012 Prius v we have loaded an apropos subset of the >2900 iPhone Contacts to the Prius v Phonebook. See the uploaded file.

Attached Files:

13. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    very nice, thank you for sharing your workaround