1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't trust anyone but myself for maint.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by adamace1, Mar 17, 2012.

1. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So when you get your oil changed they don't try to sell you a 50$ cabin air filter, or a 40$ engine air filter.

And your saying when you bought the car, the salesman sold it to you at your price not theirs? They only get pushy when you don't want to pay their inflated prices or don't want to pay 1000 dollars for spay on tar under the car, and window etching, and floor mats.

2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven't had it in for routine maintenance, only the software update and to get the intake manifold replaced under the TSB. Neither time did they try to sell me anything. The 2nd time, the adviser asked if I needed anything else, but that was the extent of it. In fact, for the TSB, they took my word that it did what it did. I didn't have to "prove" it to them, or have them keep the car for days to try and replicate the problem.

When I bought the car in June 2009, it had just been released. I was willing to pay MSRP because it got me the car I wanted and got me out of the Civic Hybrid, which had already had 2 or 3 things replaced in the 2 years I'd had it. I did negotiate a slightly higher trade in, and got a free set of the all weather mats (I know, not exactly a large expense item). They did not offer any under car spray, etc.

Between me and a friend of mine, we've purchased an 08 Prius Touring, 10 Prius 3, and a 12 Prius v at that dealership. The 2 dealerships in this area are owned by the same folks, but the employees are like oil and water. The one dealership is pushy and ignorant beyond belief, and the other is much less pushy and more friendly. The only item that I asked and agreed to at the time, was for the $4/each push pins on the under cover. I'd broken a few of them, and had the car there in the winter time. A rip off? Absolutely. Saving me the time and effort in cold weather to do it? Yup.

3. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where are you getting TRDs at that price? Let me know and I'll buy a case!

4. sooperedd

sooperedd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do all routine maintenance.
    It's like the lottery, when they forget to replace a drain plug, put in the wrong oil, or the any other number of things they can do to seriously damage your car, your numbers up.
    And they never accept responsibility.

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I could always get them at that price too.
    My Brother in-law is a jobber, he placed a big order with Toyota and said "gimmie $25 for the (three) filters". He made his margin on the other parts- so he usually gets me OEM parts at or below cost when he can. The downside is- if I need OEM parts immediately- then I pay cost, If I can afford to wait till he places a bulk order- I get below cost.

To be fair- I do his computer IT and repair work no charge labor and at or below cost on parts too. It's a great relationship!

6. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. Hopefully they will keep you happy over the years.

7. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your johnson rods needs lubing and probably replacement soon too