1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Car & Driver editor on diesel scandal (easy to fix) Autoline VW volkswagen

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Troy Heagy, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've watched over a dozen videos, and this is by far the best explanation from a man who worked on emission controls & understands them:

Csaba Csere says the impact on VW is huge, but the fix is easy..... reprogram the ECU and it will pass.

Timestamp 22:22 : VW's Emissions Nightmare - Autoline
    UP FOR DISCUSSION:
    -Who knew what and when?
    -The casualty list.

SPECIAL GUEST: Brian Bautsch, Lead Safety Engineer, Honda R & D. Join us as we discuss how Honda ACEs the safety test.

All that and much more with John McElroy, Autoline.tv; Gary Vasilash, Automotive Design & Production; Henry Payne, The Detroit News; Csaba Csere, Freelance Auto Writer

#1 Troy Heagy, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    austingreen and Stevevee like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At a minimum, the mileage will go down as fuel is used to purge the NOx trap. There is also a high probability the acceleration, the 0-60 times, will increase as injector timing is changed to minimize NOx formation. This will also reduce mileage. But emission risks remain.

We don't know if everything was sized to handle trips longer than the EPA test cycle. If the NOx capture trap is too small, the slope might yet be positive so by the end of a tank, the NOx output levels have already gone out of spec.

The risk is whether the HC generated to purge the NOx remains under the thresholds. Not expecting to run so many purge cycles, it is possible the cars will exceed the HC levels beyond the EPA cycle duration.

Fixing emissions will hurt mileage and very likely make them just as fun to drive as a Prius . . . maybe a 2001-03 model.

FYI, I had listened to the podcast before and one take-away, the cheat was probably designed and implemented close to 2007 due to lead times in engineering versus manufacturing.

Bob Wilson

#2 bwilson4web, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    john1701a likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think there is an easy fix here.
    #1. No easy fix for VW's reputation.
    #2. The vehicles were sold "fraudulently" in relationship to their emissions standards and on the road/engine performance. Since they used a defeat mechanism to pass the test, that put the vehicle in a state that did NOT exist in regular usage, even if the ECU can be reprogrammed I sincerely doubt the it can be reprogrammed in such a manner that would allow the vehicle to simultaneously pass emissions standards AND maintain the same MPG and operating vehicle performance standards that it did before.

I'm really assuming if it WAS possible to have the VW clean diesels pass emissions AND perform as they did "normally" then VW would of never employed a defeat mechanism to start with.

Easy Fix? No.

KrPtNk and bwilson4web like this.
  4. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    NOx traps are nothing new. Lean-burn Hondas have been using them for decades (Gasoline DI engines have them too).
    Except we know the Volkswagens have already passed the tests for every year since 2009. The issue is what happened after the VW left the test bay: Switched to a polluting mode. Same thing Honda and Ford got caught doing in 2000. (I wish people would watch the video & learn the actual facts.)

I do agree 0-60 times will be slower. Less NOx formation == less boost == slower time. So it takes 9 seconds instead of 8... Not a big deal.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And no longer sold in the USA because they can not meet the emissions requirement (aka., the original Insight.) The same result as the 2016 2.0L TDI cars. Their certificate has been withheld and VW also stopped selling the 2015s still on the dealer lots.

Bob Wilson

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are two emission control systems at play here, with different outcomes on whether the fix is easy, and whether it will have negative outcomes on the car's driving behaviour.

The LNT models are the ones that exceed spec the highest. A fix will likely end up affecting the cars as you said, since, at the very least, more fuel will be used to regenerate the NOx trap.

The SCR ones use the DEF or urea. If the fix doesn't require adjusting fuel trims, then the only change will be the use of more fluid. The fuel economy and performance should remain unchanged.

I thought Honda stopped selling the first Insight because it was simply a poor seller, and may have cost them more to build.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The question is also compliance - if there is a fix, how many owners will actually take them in? The U.S. is different from Germany. You can legally operate a car that has not had a recall or TSB done on it. In some countries, you cannot renew your annual licence or registration until the recall is done.

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In the big picture, what does it matter if this cars don't get fixed?
    The owners of these cars were as duped as the EPA and the rest of us by VW. It isn't like the owners of diesels and gasoline cars that purposely defeat their emission controls. It was mentioned in one of these threads that average NOx emission from these cars was 1.6g/mile; the intro to the paper said that the value was 6 times the spec limit. How about we hold VW's new cars, no matter the fuel, to a higher standard to balance these higher emissions down to T2B5, and leave the cars currently in private ownership as is, and call it even.

9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course they passed the tests. That's the problem, they were passing them in a fraudulent manner. And IMO you're looking at it in just the reverse way. The vehicles operate "as they do"...and switched to "clean mode" in the test bay. So the issue is what was happening when the cars were in the test bay, and evidently allegedly programmed to give a false representation. VW didn't "program" the vehicles to go into a "polluting mode", they evidently DID program them to operate in a different manner to pass specifically the tests while the tests were happening.

I'm not going to tell VW owners what is or isn't a "big deal" in regards to changes in performance. I'm guessing most will be upset regardless.

10. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    All you have to do is reprogram the VWs to run "test/clean mode" all the time.

Since Bob Wilson censored my quote, allow me to repeat it (and clarify it) . Lean-burn honda AND lean-burn gasoline direct injection engines have been using NOx traps for years. The GDI engines have passed emission tests without any problem. And no, the lean-burning GDI engines are not banned. You find them in the latest 2015 and 2016 models from GM, Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Toyota, and Honda. NOx traps are an effective technology used in both diesel AND gasoline cars.

11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You think you'd be happy driving in that mode all the time? It wasn't designed to be an operational mode for the vehicle. It was designed to cheat the test, when the vehicle wasn't moving.

AGAIN...

Seems pretty obvious to me, but if running clean, and operating well was ALWAYS possible, then VW would of never tried to cheat the system to start with.- There would of been no reason to do so.

I'm glad it's not my problem. But until VW offers whatever fix they offer, and we get feedback from those owners that do accept that fix, we're simply making assumptions about how vehicle on the street performance will be affected.

VW sold their clean diesels promoting the idea that they were a "no compromise" vehicle. Clean emissions, Great Performance, and Great Gas Mileage. People conceivably bought them, believing those parameters were being met HONESTLY.

There is no "easy answer" because if allegations are true, those parameters were being met FRAUDULENTLY.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the cars should be brought up to compliance at the time of sale or mfg., whatever the epa uses. if mpg or performance suffer, vw should compensate the owners.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Some people keep overlooking that fact. Software can send back false data... even in the test mode. It's not rocket-science. It's simple programming.

If the ODB-II output wasn't needed... which is software controlled data... all they'd need to do for certification would be attach sensor equipment to the tailpipe. That's not the can though, hence the problem.

14. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like the 2015+ models do meet emissions requirements, but still contain the bypass software in an inactive state. The EPA may have withheld the certificate in order to force the total removal of that code, or to force VW to clean up the older cars before being able to sell any more new ones.

CleanMPG Forums - View Single Post - 482,000 VW TDIs Produce 5 to 35Xs the NOx Beyond Federal Emissions Requirements

15. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    How about that: Along with satisfactory fix VW will raise a global fund to compensate every owner that will make the fix (either compellingly or volluntarily).

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If accuracy were important, I would care but repetition does not make it so. After all, it is so easy to cite sources: Lean-burn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bob Wilson

hill and telmo744 like this.
  17. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a hard time believing that the fix can simply be implemented in ECU programming. If you follow the timeline, the EPA DID question VW sometime in the middle of 2014. At the end of 2014, they did issue some kind of software update/recall and was supposed to fix the issue (at least attempted to fix the issue). When the EPA went to see if the update fixed anything, thats when they realized it didnt and called them out on the cheating.

So if you were VW and you knew the EPA was on your arse about your shady emissions and you DO have the power to fix it in the ECU, wouldnt you have done it during the first "recall"? Why would you wait until the EPA has gone public with your cheating scandal before actually doing it?

VW Diesel Crisis: Timeline of Events

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    on a ridiculous note;

GrGramps and bisco like this.
  19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    VW was likely trying to fix it without changing anything that would leave the customer unhappy at that time.

20. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is a very sad situation for the owners of VW in the USA. A friend of mine has a 2015 Passat and is very upset with the whole situation and hopes VW is forced to buy back every car that has been sold under false advertising. I can't see VW surviving this in the USA. Every time I see a VW on the road I look to see if it is a TDI, and feel sorry for the owner!