1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car will not shift into R, or D, or B, ONLY N!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dreamaur, May 29, 2015.

1. dreamaur

dreamaur New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V

First post here. I am the second owner of my 2012 V, which I purchased CPO with 7,000 miles. Until yesterday the car has been trouble-free, it currently has about 59,000 miles (original tires BTW).

Yesterday for the first time the headlights stayed on past the 30 second auto shut-off time, a co-worker brought this to my attention. Surprised, I went outside and switched them to "off". Upon leaving about 7 hours later the car started as usual and drove as it always did on my 15 mile ride home.

When home, I parked the car by the top of the driveway, which is a slight hill only pushing the "P" button, did not use the parking brake.

About an hour later I got back in the car, pushed the "start" button and that's when things changed.
    -The warning lights on the dash remained illuminated.
    -The "ready" light did not appear.
    -When removing foot from brake pedal after pressing start, the start light switched from the usual green to red.
    -When holding the shift lever in R, D, or B nothing would happen for about two seconds, then the car would go into "N" (and start rolling back), while the amber "P" indicator on the display appeared.

This morning it was towed to my local Toyota dealer. They are going to look at it tomorrow. I have an extended warranty.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
    M

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, your 12 volt battery may need a charge.

3. dreamaur

dreamaur New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the reply bisco.

We tested the battery with an OTC Digital Battery Tester at the battery terminals, it indicated: 12.62V, and 450 CCA's. The battery was basically the only item we figured we could assess ourselves.

At the "jump" tab in the fuse box the voltage was the same.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that was the only bullet in my gun, sorry. i suppose under load, it might still be a problem, but not sure.

5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Sounds like a fault with the brake light switch.

bisco and valde3 like this.
  6. dreamaur

dreamaur New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks kithmo,
    I did some searching online earlier, found a thread on priusonline describing similar symptoms to mine and the brake light switch being the culprit. Is this a common part to fail?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    comes up now and then. it's usually an adjustment, not failure.