1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

carrying a kayak on a 2005 prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Seeare, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Seeare

Seeare New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi - I'm a Prius newbie. Has anyone every tried this type of get up for carrying a kayak?

NRS Universal Kayak Block at nrs.com

They are just foam blocks. Without use of a rack.

Thanks.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not tried this on a Prius, but I have used a similar method for carrying a canoe on a car roof, without a rack. I 're-purposed' a few chunks of dense open-cell foam, and it works like a charm. Just be sure to position them correctly, and keep them free of dirt and sand so that you don't scratch the paint.

3. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We use similar but smaller foam blocks for the canoe and a SUP board on our '07s. They work well, and the cost and aerodynamic perks of not having a rack are great. We run straps through the door openings that might be a little hard on the door seals over time, but don't seem to be a problem for 'once in a while' use.

The blocks have to be a little closer together on the curved Pri roof, but they work, even with long canoes. It's not as bad as loading boats on a classic Beetle.

The radio antenna threads off easily for easier boat loading. Even with the antenna off, the radio still picks up the stations okay.

Paddle on!

#3 tanglefoot, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014