1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Converter & AC Evaporator replacement on 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 2008Prius777, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 2008Prius777

2008Prius777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Should I invest or get another car? I have a 2008 Prius 6 with 215k miles. The car NEVER gave me any problems, but now I have two major ones. 1) The AC evaporator went bad and estimates are from $1200- $1600 to fix it due to 8+ hours labor removing entire front panel inside the car. 2) Engine I thought was going bad. I took it to Royal Palm Toyota in Palm Beach, FL, and they said that it was the coils needing replacement ($575 estimate), and there could be more, but they had to fix this first. I have zero trust for this dealership and took it to a boutique shop who told me that they ONLY diagnosed the need for the catalytic converter to be replaced ($1200 estimate with aftermarket part). I'm thinking about getting one at a junkyard. The car is otherwise is good shape, top model and I estimate a $5k value without these issues. AS-IS, I think I can get $2500 cash, disclosing all I know, as a Mechanic Special.
    What do you guys think? I would love to keep it, but don't want to waste good money down a hole! Also, the mechanic at the boutique shop (whom I feel that I can trust) has alerted me about the main battery is close to the end of its lifecycle and $4k to replace.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, the mechanic is probably wrong. although your battery may be near end of life, there's no way to know. and you should be able to pick up a new one for around $2500. installed. but i'm in the cut your losses camp. after fixing the a/c and cat, there's just no knowing what's going to be next.
    weigh your repair costs, current and potential future, against the cost of another vehicle. all the best!(y)

2008Prius777 likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    ETC(SS) and 2008Prius777 like this.
  4. 2008Prius777

2008Prius777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for the replies and advise! Any thoughts on replacing the AC evaporator, specifically DIY?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the a/c is one of the most difficult parts of the prius to work on, because it's high voltage and requires special non conductive oil. i don't know about the evaporator specifically, but if you're a competent diy'er, why not download the service manual for $15./day?

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    when you guys say evap you mean the cold part in opaque box ? And whats happening to these micro holes in them (Leak) or something else .. I dont use 134 A and its corrosive oils etc .. so im hoping the caustic stuff ruining compressors and cores wont affect mine my corollas have held up 20 yrs no black mold nothing ,..

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your corollas have an electric A/C system?

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DIY the exhaust.
    Have the evap coil looked at by an independent wrench that does A/C work.

In FLORIDA air conditioning is not optional for most people.
    I'm thinking that this should be easily taken care of for less than the dealer estimate.

...just a SWAG.

Good Luck!

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I assume since the original post was from 2016 that the problem was dealt with one way or another.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.