1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catastrophic failure, no brakes at 50 MPH

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by skanex, Jul 16, 2014.

1. skanex

skanex New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

I just wanted to share my story here. Last week on a routine trip on I-5 warning lights started flashing indicating hybrid drive failure. The car automatically shifted into neutral and I was limping along down hill. Luckily I saw a downhill exit and had the foresight to turn off where to my horror I discovered that my brakes didn't work. So I had to coast to the bottom of the hill and again maide a quick decision to turn into a slight uphill side street to force myself to a stop with the parking break. This left me in the middle of a usually busy intersection blocking traffic right outside of a popular local deli and necessitated help from strangers with road flares since at that point the car completely died and I couldn't even shift into neutral to push it.

After towing it to AAA and avoiding a collision on I-5 (if I pulled into the shoulder without breaks I likely would have crashed into a retaining wall) and then not being smacked after I got it to a stop I was pretty shaken...I'm lucky to be alive.

It took Toyota 3 days to "guess" it was an Inverter issue, then they apparently determined it was a DC issue which would cost $5,000 to replace. Now they've changed their tune since apparently they don't want to cover it under the Hybrid warranty: "
    Hybrid-Related Component Coverage
    Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Warranty & Maintenance Guide for details."

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

I'm the original owner and I'm just under the 90,000 mile mark on the odometer.

They want to try and go for just a $200 repair to the rear battery after stating they usually fail after 5 years!? Why didn't anyone detect this sooner? I brought it into the dealer for all of the appropriate routine maintenance.

They seem to be very inconsistent first saying, "we should be able to get it covered for free" then stating they can't replicate the issue and want to "test it out" for 20 or 30 miles. I have a case on file with Toyota customer care because I'm not confident in taking this thing on the road again unless they've replaced everything they need to: Imagine if my daughter was in the car!?

Based on threads elsewhere it seems like this is a semi common problem.
    Toyota Prius Battery Problems

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I actually like "no breaks at 50 MPH" much better than "no brakes at 50 MPH".

Because the 12 volt battery does not start the engine, (the High Voltage battery does that) most people have no experience detecting it is low. If you power windows are MUCH faster going up and down in READY than in ACC, your 12 v battery is in trouble. On a Gen 2 like yours there is a screen to test the 12 volt battery: Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

I bet no brakes qualifies as Weird stuff.

#2 JimboPalmer, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hate when that happens. was the break pedal hard to push down, or did it go all the way to the floor?

#3 bisco, Jul 16, 2014
  4. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Whew--that's scary! I noticed that when my aux battery was going out, it would sometimes take a second or two after going into "ready" mode for the braking system to energize...that spooked me a bit when backing out of the garage.

The aux battery can often false-test okay just after being driven (surface charge), so it can go undetected at the service department. Glad you're alright.

#4 tanglefoot, Jul 16, 2014
  5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't say you're lucky to be alive. Give yourself credit for not panicking and doing all the right things to make a scary situation end well.

Hopefully the dealership will also do the right things to get your car fixed.

sturgidson and Zythryn like this.
  6. skanex

skanex New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all, The brakes just flat out didn't work and believe me I was pressing them as hard as humanly possible. I had to use the parking brake to reduce speed. I really hope Toyota will take care of it completely I mean there was no warning whatsoever and I was just in the shop about 2 months ago for an oil change, new tires, (2nd time I've replaced them) and checkup...nothing was detected.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats very odd as even if the ABS pump fails you still have hydraulic brakes even if they are hard to push they still work no matter what.
    The car would be a death trap if you lost all brakes when power went out. And that's not the case.

Yours is the first post I have ever seen that states the brakes went out completely.

The Inverter pump recall addressed this "total failure" as one possibility by issuing a recall on that pump because sometimes when it failed it shorted out blowing a fuse that powers the systems.

Has your car had the recall on the Inverter pump replacement performed? Even though my car was not on the vin list as a candidate for the recall the dealer still replaced my pump for free when I had the steering bolt replaced under recall also.

uart likes this.
  8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This breaks traditional brake issues.. :p

9. skanex

skanex New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

NOPE, I never got a notice about the inverter pump either and I was in the shop prior to the November expiration on it. They seem to be very cagey about it too. First they said it might be the inverter pump, then they said it might be the DC inverter and were going to try and get it comped by Toyota and that they would call me the next day. The dealer did call me back yesterday and that's when they suggested it might not be that after all so they want to "try" replacing just the rear batter (name escapes) me as a test: like you said since I was dealing with a death trap I'm not really inclined to "try" and hope for the best. Trust me, I've had an alternator fail before on my old VW and while smokey I could still actually brake.

I called Toyota's corporate line and they assured me they would talk to the dealership and give me a call back yesterday at 12:00 that never happened, I followed up with another message but still nothing. I think I'm going to try and ask for a supervisor to handle this on my next call.

10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I cannot think of anything that would cause this especially a one time occurrence?????? I cannot see a total loss of 12V power causing this because of the backup capacitor bank. It would have to be a loss of 12V pwr plus a loss of capacitor bank power at the same time then, they magically start working again??? very odd.

I'm betting the techs can't figure it out especially if they can't duplicate it.

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is no way the brakes just stop working. It is physically impossible unless the hydraulic lines themselves were cut or had giant bubbles in them. The regen braking definitely goes away with an inverter failure. But you have to stand on the brakes to stop the car with no regen brakes and no power assist hydraulic. If you still have brake fluid, you just didn't push hard enough. I know you said you stomped on it, but really people just don't understand what kind of force is required to stop a couple thousand pounds of metal hurdling down the road at highway speeds. When there is no computer or battery to assist in applying that force for you, it is a rude awakening.

Sounds like general inverter failure that happened at a poor location and you just weren't prepared for what any vehicle without power brakes feels like. When the alternator on your VW failed you still had a 12v battery backup to apply power brakes.

edthefox5 likes this.
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I sure would like to see a scan of the mechanic's report

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The OP doesn't drive a Blue Prius right? Not from San Diego?

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes I like 2k's post. The brakes really suck in a prius without regen much less with no power in which case would really suck.
    But they will work.

Think the brakes are great then get up to 70 mph's and put the car in nuetral and try to stop briskly. Or tow something in a Prius.

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will get a new pump no matter the vin. Your dealer must be a real goof. Sure wish I knew where you live but must be a new rule with new posters.

Make sure you don't post your locale so everyone has to guess.

Well, its like we all tell every poster. Make sure you get all the codes the car threw and post them back here with the 3 digit suffix.
    XXXX-XXX
    Without those its just a game called supposition. Your car threw alot of them. With those we can tell you what's going on usually more accurately then the dealer. Some dealers are awful and will throw part after part at it. Sometimes on your dime. Good times.

16. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not sure what originally caused the loss of power, maybe the inverter coolant pump internal short circuit (known to blow a fuse which causes this problem), or perhaps a short circuited 12V battery overloading the DC-DC converter. Whatever the case, let me explain what happened to you after the event.

Immediately after the loss of power you lost regenerative braking, but you still would have had power assisted friction braking for a short time. This power is provided by a brake emergency capacitor supply, which is just for this purpose.

In reality this situation would be very similar to that of a conventional car if you were to shut down the engine completely (as in 0 RPM) and coast in neutral. You'd only get one real shot at stopping on the residual vacuum, and then you'd be completely without power assist. In either case (Prius or conventional car), after this you would still have non power assisted friction braking. And yes this would feel like having almost no brakes at all if you're only familiar with power assist brakes.

Ultimately the problem was to continue to drive the car with a severe fault instead of stopping immediately. I really do understand about wanting to find a safer place to stop though, and to be completely honest I may well have done the same thing.
    As above, if you had shut down the engine on the VW and coasted in neutral, you would have found yourself in exactly the same situation.

#16 uart, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    MSA14 and SageBrush like this.
  17. skanex

skanex New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Sorry I'm in Beaverton, OR and Beaverton Toyota is the shop. They want to try replacing the rear 12v battery and make me pay out of pocket...supposedly Toyota corp will reimburse me but I'm not too inclined to let it go at that...Toyotas customer service line is working with them but it's so hard to get a callback even when they say "I will call you back at 4:00" they've dropped the ball. I definitely want it all fixed the first time and Don't want to be worrying about this with my daughter in the car. Sadly I don't have the codes and like another poster commented they can't replicate it.

18. Suwaticup

Suwaticup New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, I had the same issue with my 04 Prius where all the alarms and buzzers and lights came on. I can tell you that it is most likely your 12 volt battery. When this happened to me, the brakes did not work and there was no reserve brake assist (if you will). I was only going 35 mph, but I could not stop the car very easily. Even pressing the brake pedal fully to the floor did very little to stop the car. I am 6'2" and I was unable to properly and fully stop the car. It did eventually come to a stop, but not by it own choice and with the brake pedal to the floor. After setting there for a few moments, I was able to start the car and safely drive back home as the battery did recover. I did check the 12 volt battery outputs as someone here described using the dash monitor.

To make a long story short, I replaced the 12 volt battery with another Toyota battery and have not had these issues and other mpg drops and issues as before. My last Toyota battery lasted 3 years and I am sure that this one will as well. I live in Florida where it get hot and humid and can be extremely hard on batteries. I hope that this helps.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think this explanation might be leaving out the other, more significant, source of stored power in the Prius brake system: the pressurized accumulator pumped full of brake fluid. The accumulator is what's really the source of braking power assist; the capacitor bank is just a stash of electrical power to provide ABS control for a while. When that electrical power is gone, you don't have computerized antilock brakes any more, but you still have hydraulic brakes and they're still power-assisted until all the accumulator pressure is used up.

Even in older cars with vacuum boosters, there was enough stored vacuum to apply the brakes more than once. In my old truck, if you had just turned off the engine, you'd be able to do three or four firm pedal strokes before the vacuum ran out and the pedal got hard.

The Prius accumulator gives you way more than that. In my (Gen 1) manual, whenever they want you to relieve all the accumulator pressure, they say to turn the car off and step on the brake at least forty times. That's an excessive number, of course, to make sure all the pressure's relieved, but the real number is pretty close. In my car with the ignition off, I counted 29 deep strokes of the pedal I was able to do and feel the power assist. The 30th time, the pedal felt hard like a brick.

A surprising fact in the way the hydraulics are designed is that, if all the accumulator pressure is gone, not only is the pedal much harder, but it acts only on the front brakes. (That's a Gen 1 fact anyway; I don't have the Gen 2 manuals here, but I found a diagram of the hydraulic circuit and it looks pretty similar except that Gen 2 added the ability to control all four brakes independently - Gen 1 controls left and right front independently, and both rears as a pair.)

I can think of one, one only, scenario (not involving cut brake lines or the like) that might be interesting to test in a working Prius to see if a no-brakes situation can be generated. The test would be to disable the accumulator pump so assist pressure would be eventually lost, but at the same time prevent the switching solenoids in the actuator from de-energizing (i.e. simulate a stuck-on output from the brake ECU using a jumper to 12V; could also be simulating switching solenoids physically stuck in the energized position).

The switching solenoids are designed so without electrical power they return to the positions where manual hydraulic braking works without any interference in the actuator. So, they should return to those positions any time the ECU detects a problem and drops power to them, or any time the ECU itself has lost power. If for some reason they stayed in the energized positions when no accumulator pressure was available, I'm not sure whether that would prevent the straight hydraulic front wheel braking from working. It would be interesting to find out.

Even if this scenario could be rigged up to cause a no-brakes situation, it would require very bizarre coincidences in real life ... the accumulator pressure would have to have been already depleted (30 or more brake applications since some failure of the pump), but without the ECU detecting it or sounding the ABS alarm, and the switching solenoid circuit would have to be stuck ON (or the valves physically stuck in those positions). Sounds like a lot of things to be b0rked at one time.

-Chap

MSA14, 2009Prius, uart and 1 other person like this.
  20. Suwaticup

Suwaticup New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the beginning of the alarming and buzzing and all lights coming on situation, I did have some braking assist. As I tried to limp my way home, I went 2 blocks and the situation got worse. The power steering did not want to respond, the a/c went out and the ICE was not responding normally and did shut off on me. I believe that my issue got progressively worse as I was trying to drive slowly back to my house at 11 pm and was only about a mile away. I had just driven 30 miles, mostly on the interstate and had just exited and was on the local streets. Even when I tried to pump the brakes to try and build up some pressure, it did not seem to do any good.
    This was the only time that this has happened to me in the 8 years and 80 miles (120k total) that I have driven this car.