1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Change your oil after you have driven your first 1000 miles.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Arizona Charlie, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Arizona Charlie

Arizona Charlie New Member

Regardless of what Toyota recommends, I suggest that the engine oil and filter be changed when your odometer reaches 1000 miles.

Minute metal particless which were left in the engine block when it was machined may have remained in the block and ould become lodged in a bearing surface or piston chamber.

Sure, it may not do any damage but then again, 3.9 quarts of oil and a new filter are relatively cheap insurance against possible damage.

Further, I do recommend that you change from disasour soup to synthetic oil. (5w 30). By doing so you can increase the mileage you drive between oil changes by as much as 3000 miles and also increase the life of the motor.

Arizona Charlie

2. outoftown

outoftown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Change your oil after you have driven your first 1000 mi

I've heard the same thing way before Hybrids existed as advice for any new car. After 500 miles or so of the "break in" period, change the oil to get rid of any metal machining contamination. However, does anyone think the specially formulated oils for Hybrids, 0W-30 would be a better option than 5W-30? Mobil 1 has the 0W-30, available at AutoZone, and Pennzoil will be offering it soon.

3. ammiels

ammiels New Member

I did, perhaps from old habit. I stuck a rare earth magnet on the bottom of the filter to help with the iron shavings.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Back in the old days, the maintenance schedule required changing the "break-in oil" after a short period, after which the regular oil-change intervals began.

For what it's worth, my dealer told me the Prius engine is broken in before it's put into the car. (I don't know if that's supposed to refer to all new cars, all Toyotas, or just the Prius.)

In any case, I trust Toyota's recommendations, which explicitly state that it's not necessary to change the oil before 5,000 miles. As for synthetic, if you do extend the oil-change interval by 3,000 miles you will probabably void your engine warranty. (Though from what I've read, it probably would not hurt the engine.)

5. scalz

scalz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

At their suggestion, I brought our Sienna in to our Toyota dealer for a free oil change at 1000 miles. Looks like they go along with these thoughts.

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My dealer gave me a free 1,000 mile oil change too. I don't see any reason not to under those circumstances :)

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

The drain plug on my old Bugs had a magnet in it, and it usually had a mix of lead (from blowby) and filings on it. It worked because it was right in the path of the oil pickup tube, and also the low point of the sump.

But a magnet on the outside of the filter? What if the magnet gets knocked off while you are driving? A clump of filings dumps into your nice clean motor.

8. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!

You know fellas, don't take this the wrong way... but you guys are perpetuating old wives tales at best (cars have not "needed" a break-in oil change in 20 years or more) and wasting oil at worse.

The Prius gas engine doesn't run constantly and Toyota says 7,000 miles between changes. You blow up the engine under warranty and they don't care if you changed the oil every week or every 7,000 miles. They cover it.

I used to think just like you guys though. It's hard to break that indoctrination. I'm switching to synthetic at the first oil change (currently at 2,300 miles on my '05) and going 7,000 before the next one.

9. jeepien

jeepien Member

My owner's manual says 5,000, not 7,000.

10. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I plan on driving my Prius LONG after the warrantee has expired!

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Has anyone that has done a oil change at 1K done an oil analysis. I would suggest this "in the absence of data you can have any opinion you wish" I days gone by early oil change was recommended, the question is it now necessary? I am not sure of the answer. Toyota says no. On the other hand an 1K oil change is like chicken soup, "it can't hurt". That seems where we are at.

12. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Now, if a non ferrous material is involved in the engine, I don't think a magnet will help in checking out the old oil for chips, etc.
    My advice would be, if you find peace of mind by changing oil at 1000,2000,3000 mi and so on, by all means do so. IMHO I place my money on the advice of the Toyota research team and not on unsubstantiated opinions.

13. fred

fred New Member

i used to do that 1000 mile bit on my motorcycles (2 sportsters, 1 big dog and a v rod) i did not do it on my prius. i did my first one at 3000 miles. at 6000 miles i switched to mobil 1 since i wanted to make sure that my rings etc were well seated. now im swithcing to every 5000 miles with absolutely no concern nor guilt. the modern technology does not need 3000 mile changes anymore. it took many years to reach this conclusion. i dont really care how often others change their oil whether its once a day or every 10 years. its a matter of choice. as i stated before my benz oil change was set up for 10,000 mile intervals ( i admit of course that it held about 8 qts!)

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Motors have changed a lot over 25 years. A lot of them are test-run at the engine assembly plant before even being put in the car, so a lot of the "break in" is already done.

The technology is far different too. Piston rings now have chrome moly coatings, the cylinder surface is a carefully calculated cross-hatch pattern done by CNC machines, rather than a smooth surface hand applied with a grinder. Pistons are different too, using a hypereutectic alloy that has much less thermal expansion.

I'm sure some dealers have the "old school" training, but most car makers now require the factory oil to be left in for the normal change interval. There are a few exceptions, which will be in writing.

My local Prius tech claims that Toyota has trained them and warned them to NOT change the oil unless 5,000km minimum is on it. Also to NOT switch to synthetic until 10,000km minimum.

Otherwise, break-in is dramatically extended and you won't get the good fuel economy and low oil consumption you expect. I waited until almost 6,000km before my first oil change, everything seems fine.

As far as a magnet on the drain plug or oil filter, what do you gain from that? Unless there is a problem with the oil pump clearance (My 2000 GMC Sierra is an example), the screen in the oil pickup will protect the oil pump.

The oil filter will protect the motor from any "shavings" unless they are smaller than 20 microns. I doubt a magnet alone would catch particles smaller than 20 microns.

You'd need a special bypass oil filter, rated 5 micron or less, to catch everything, including moisture. This can cost +$400 to have installed, so unless you want to keep your car forever and dramatically extend the oil change interval, just service it as usual.

BTW: using a special semi-synthetic blend in Europe, the Prius there has a 16,000km oil change interval with no ill effects. Here in North America, 8,000km.

So if you need the extreme low temp or extreme high temp protection of a synthetic, run Mobil 1 0W-30 but leave it in for the maximum 8,000km.

15. konakahuna

konakahuna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

not to be contrary...but my 2001 VW passat used a special "break in" oil and i was told specifically not to change it before the interval was reached. a few people in my VW group switched early, usually to synthetics, and later reported unusual engine problems with seals, etc. the evidence is anecdotal, but plentiful. the passat owners's manual said much the same thing.

it may not be true in the case of the prius, but there are definitely still cars that use this proceedure.

16. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

My uncle, a Toyota mechanic, suggests the first oil change take place at 3,000 miles. That said, I waited until I reached 5,000 and my car is running fine. I also don't use synthetic.