1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing Color of Speed Light?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Kingalex, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Kingalex

Kingalex New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I have looked and searched the whole priuschat forum and I have not found anything on changing the speed light. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about changing the color of the speed light (which is currently green) into another color?

I've heard my friend say it is possible for other cars with illuminated speed dashboards.

thanks in advance.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoa man, it's like this. Just smoke enough of this stuff here, and then like U2 say's All the colors will bleed into one.

I immediately apologize for not being of any real help.

Somebody with Mod skills please step in and put me out of my misery.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard talk of a shift towards red, but I haven't gotten mine to go that fast yet. :rolleyes:

Oh, sorry, your first post. I should have been more gentle. :p

No, it's green, and meant to stay that way. You can turn it brighter or dimmer if you wish, but changing colours would require some fairly major dashboard surgery. Darelldd might know, if anyone does.

4. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It might be possible to add a filter to change the colour, but it would likely reduce the brightness significantly - they work by only allowing certain colours of light to be transmitted.

You could try getting a filter sample pack from Lee or Rosco - try a stage/entertainment lighting company. The sample packs are a bunch of finger-sized pieces of filter material, which would probably be about the right size to fit over the aperture on the dash. (The speedometer display is emitted from under the dash and reflects off a mirror in the dash itself, to give a feeling of depth, so you don't have to change focal length as much when looking from road to dash and back.) If not big enough, you'd at least know which product number to order.

The actual colour of the speed display is just the colour that the phosphors in the vacuum-fluorescent display are glowing: the slightly pale green is as close to white as they can get with decent brightness levels.

5. Kingalex

Kingalex New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Ey, thanks for your help man.