1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing Inverter Coolant

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BeachDriver, Jan 18, 2006.

1. BeachDriver

BeachDriver New Member

I drive a 2001 Prius. It is approaching 120k miles and is going to need it's inverter fluid changed. Is this something the DIYer can do?

What is involved?

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't see a wealth of opinion on this topic...

I think changing the inverter cooling fluid should be like changing the ICE coolant. I think the same long-life coolant is used in both.

BUT, getting all the air our of an ICE coolant system can be really tricky unless you have the right equipment. The ICE can operate at a higher temp and it's mainly just hard on the oil. Since the inverter is central to the Prius' hybrid operation, and improper cooling caused by air in the system might be catastrophic, I think I'd have the dealer do it.

Once every 120K miles isn't too much to ask...

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bill

Very good point. A buddy of mine has this gadget to remove trapped air. Even after you think you've properly bled the cooling system, you hook this thing up, and a lot more air comes out.

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_cse.asp

jay

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    or you can opt for the $300 professional set like my husband has... :rolleyes:

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    G:

Ummmm ... no thanks, I'm not *that* serious of a weekend mechanic!

Although I think my buddy paid around $200 Cdn for that Mityvac cooling system bleeder.

That's a bit much. If I have a choice of peeing away that sort of money on things I rarely use, or socking it away into my retirement accounts, guess which I prioritize?

j

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i figured that much, jay. :)

just thought it an appropriate situation to whine about the cost of mechanic's tools. although the thing has paid for itself many times over in time saved...

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    G:

Oh boy, I sure hope he can claim those pricey tools on his income tax. Otherwise ... oi!

j

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmph, if only. <_< always ends up below the standard deduction because, inevitably, we never pay enough off by the end of the year.

lemme tell ya, tools alone should chase away the noncommitted mechanic. geez! and he calls me from training class yesterday saying, 'hey i want this chassis tester thingamajig [sic... i forget what it does] and it costs $400' great. just great.

anyway i should quit ranting. one of these days he'll make more money than he spends :lol:

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    G:

Hmmm ... oi

j

10. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just had my inverter fluid changed out at 78000 miles. The dealer said the fluid was discolored and wasn't protecting like it should...so we had the fluid changed out...i originally went in there for the inverter fluid change and to see if there was time to fix the guess gage, seeing how it wont read full anymore,regardless of how much gas i put in. Didn't have time for the Guess Gage, so i guess i'll watch the MFD for gas consumption and miles driven for filling gas...There was a TSB on the gas gage module and filler but we didn't have the time today...