1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing license plate bulb 2006 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pravtcdd, Jan 6, 2013.

1. pravtcdd

pravtcdd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cannot get the rear panel off of the rear hatch door to change the license plate bulbs. How do you get this panel off?

2. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh boy....you've got some fun in store for you. The hatch panel is secured with plastic clips. No tools are needed to pull it off. Work your fingers under the lip (thin gloves are beneficial) and pull firmly. Start at the bottom and work your way around the side edges. It'll come free and you'll break half the clips in the process. Toyota thinks that's user-friendly.

The bulb holders are usually stuck as well. I used small vise grips to carefully work them free. Be careful not to crush the holders as they are thin plastic. Rotate them loose.

/*rant*/
    Just FYI, I bought my car used and asked the dealer to thoroughly check everything before I took delivery of her (yes my Prius is a female and she is a bitch). "Of course, sir!" he beamed. He handed me a 120 point check list and away I went.

Got it home. License plates burned out. Parking lights front burned out. HID lights worked only intermittently.
    /*rant*/