1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing License Plate in CA

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kimgh, Jul 8, 2006.

1. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, last week I applied my California HOV lane stickers, and I also sold my Jeep.
    The Jeep had my Ham Radio Callsign plates, so I'm going to want to transfer them
    to the Prius as soon as the paperwork for the Jeep clears the DMV. I'm friends with
    a dealer who knows the ins and outs of the paperwork to do this, so I have no concerns
    about that.

But the one wrinkle I'm unsure of is: is there additional paperwork for transferring the
    stickers to "belong" to the new plate number? Has anyone else gone through this
    particular issue? What are the pitfalls?

Or: should I just forget it?

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know if this is in the same line but I decided to get personalized plates as I was approaching my renewal date on my current ones. I asked the info person about old plates/stickers and new ones. She said that I needed to renew on the old plates and when my personalized plates come they will come with current stickers and be switched out at the DMV.

If you already have the Prius and did not arrange to transfer the plates on that purchase you will have to do the same sort of switch out. California is pretty sticky about getting old licenses and old plates.

3. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Or: should I just forget it?

I don't think I'd do that.

I just went through this, sort of. I bought the Prius and the dealership fired off the paperwork for the registration. I immediately applied for the HOV stickers but was denied with a note telling me to wait until my new plates came. When they did, I brought them into AAA and filled out a form to transfer my ham plates from my old car to the Prius. They took my brand new plates, threw them in a big box and issued me another set of brand new plates to put on my old car to replace the ham plates I just switched to the Prius. The whole deal cost me $12. I then applied by mail for the HOV stickers using my ham plates and I'm still waiting for them to arrive.

If you applied for your HOV stickers using brand new plates, you'll have to do what I did, above. From here I'm guessing, but I think you'll have to reapply for the HOV stickers using your ham plates. There is a block on the HOV form that leads me to believe this. I'm pretty certain the HOV sticker has to be married to the actual plates on your Prius. That's what AAA seemed to feel, although they aren't real pros on the HOV deal since it doesn't involve them.

Good luck.

Bob
    W6TWA

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Actually the stickers are assigned by VIN number, not plate number, just like your registration. Yes, plate number is connected too, but it is assumed the plate number can be changed...while VIN number can not.

So when you transfer the plates from your old vehicle to the new one, it will not effect your HOV stickers...other then the information on your registration will change. I am sure that you can probably then request a revised copy of your HOV Clean air certificate.

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Jul 8 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]283204[/snapback]</div>
    As someone else noted, the stickers are primarily associated with the VIN. I have DP (disabled, or, as we fondly call them, feeb plates). I took the plates off of my old Acura and filled out a form to reserve the plates to ME, as opposed to any car. They then gave me new plates for the Acura, but said I would indeed have to wait for DMV Sact'o to get around to sending me their plates before I could bring them back to DMV and be allowed to put on my DP plates. In the meantime, since I had done the paperwork to reserve my "special" plates, I filled out the HOV sticker form WITH MY DP PLATE NUMBER. I got the stickers, with the card that indicates both my DP plate number & the Prius' VIN. I have the plates INSIDE the car, and just prop them in the back and on the dash when I want to park somewhere I otherwise could not. When DMV gets around to sending me whatever plates they plan to send me, I will take them to AAA and have them file whatever form it is to have the DP plates reassigned from ME to the CAR, and stop worrying about having my head sliced off if one of the plates decides to become a projectile...