1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing spark plugs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Grichard, May 25, 2011.

1. Grichard

Grichard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got the plugs for my '06. I hope to put them in in a day or 2. My question is: is it necessary to disconnect the 12v battery to do this? I've changed plugs in other cars without doing so. Thanks...Dick

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not necessary

3. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You will not need to disconnect battery same as a regular car. You will just need a thin wall socket and extension.

4. Hope McCloud

Hope McCloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2005 Prius and changed the plugs without disconnecting the battery. Got PROBLEM engine light and Hybrid Warning Light!!! Solution - disconnect and re-connect the battery - causing the computer to reset and the lights to go off. PS It also reset the back-up beep back to ON.

5. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Changed them on my '07 no problem.

Don't need to disconnect battery, but you should have your car turned off (not ACC, not READY).

No warning lights, worked just fine.

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The service manual says to disconnect, but it is not necessary. It is possible that the husband disconnected something else that was in the way and caused the problem. However, a happy ending nonetheless.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Most workshop manuals list disconnecting the battery negative as the first step in many procedures purely as a safety measure to prevent any possibility of the car being started while the work is being performed.

Just switch the sks system off and have your keys in a safe place (other than the ignition).