1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing the Engine Air Filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by s1flaherty, Jul 1, 2007.

1. s1flaherty

s1flaherty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I've had my Prius a year and have the prepaid maintenance and extended warranty (Thank you priuschat and Troy!) I changed the cabin air filter myself (again, thank you for the instructions) but have been unable to find the directions for changing the engine air filter. I looked in the owner's manual and couldn't find directions there either. I searched this site and couldn't find anything. If might have missed it, but can anyone tell me how to change the engine air filter? Is it something that is too complicated for me to do? The cabinair filter was a snap, thanks to the excellent directions, and I hate to pay $29.99 plus parts for the engine air filter if it's easy. Thank you so much.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine air filter is half-again as easy as the cabin filter.
    1) buy a filter
    2)Open hood
    3) Unlatch the catches on the large black air filter box that sits directly on top of the ICE.
    3)Remove old filter after making note of how it was in there. Ooh and ahh over all the crud on the old filter.
    4)Drop in new filter
    5)Relatch, close hood, have a cold brew!

One question though, if you have the pre-paid maintenance already isn't the engine air filter (and cabin filter for that matter) included in that?

1 person likes this.
  3. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 1 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]471157[/snapback]</div>

When is a good time to change your air filter? FishHawk

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Jul 1 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]471164[/snapback]</div>
    As the maintenance guide says: every 30,000 miles (same as the cabin air filter). If you drive in an excessively dusty region, do it sooner.

JeffD

5. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The good Doctor has it right, especially the cold barley-pop! Although IMHO I would add this caveat. When you remove the cover and actually remove the old filter, always remember to be aware of the throttle body opening that is now exposed. If you drop as much as a grain of sand into that opening on the right side of the filter box, you will introduce foreign matter into the ICE. I always try and remove the dirty air filter to the left side so I don't even pass the dirty filter over the opening.

After said procedure, proceed directly to step 5C

6. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you want to do the job better than the dealer will, have a vacuum handy and vacuum out the dust and debris that will likely be laying in the upstream side of the filter. I usually do that every time i change the oil, even if I don't change the filter.

7. s1flaherty

s1flaherty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 1 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]471157[/snapback]</div>
    It's my understanding that the two filters are not included in the pre-paid maintenance. Am I wrong? That would be great! Am I correct in assuming the black air filter box is to the left of center as you open the engine compartment? Is there a trick to unlatching it?
    Thank you again.

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Filters were included on the prepaid maintenance on my 2005.

Yes, the big black box just to the left of center when looking in the engine compartment is the air filter box with the filter inside. There are three hook latches on the front side and a spring latch on the left side. Very easy to open and close.

9. s1flaherty

s1flaherty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 1 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]471198[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you so much for the information. I just looked at my prepaid maintenance coupons and the maintenance book, and indeed, it shows they're replaced at the 30,000 mile service. I live in Southern Nevada (some windy, dusty days) and replaced the cabin air filer at 10,000 miles myself because I was going on a trip across the country. The service tech said the engine air filter should be replaced next time I come in, at 20,000 miles. The car is garaged and has just over 15,000 miles. Is it a good idea to do it now myself, and then let them do it at 30,000 miles?

10. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A clean engine air filter will let your ICE breathe easier, which may improve fuel efficiency. On the other hand, changing it when it isn't dirty is just a waste of money.

You could always get a new filter, then take out the current filter and see if it's cruddy, then replace as necessary. Standard maintenance interval is 30,000 miles at most. An earlier change won't hurt anything. If you look online you can find filters at lower prices than most dealers charge. Check Metrotpn.com or AnythingToyota.com for example.

11. s1flaherty

s1flaherty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 2 2007, 12:59 AM) [snapback]471365[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for all the information. I will do just what you suggested above!

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(indagarden @ Jul 2 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]471693[/snapback]</div>
    Especially the part about letting the dealer do it, since you already paid them, up front B)

13. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is a secondary filter in lid of the engine air filter housing. Does this filter ever need changing? It appears to be there for pertection from course material if the primary filter is ruptured.

14. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hschuck @ Jul 2 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]471925[/snapback]</div>
    That filter does not need to be changed. It is molded into the top housing, so the only way to change the filter would be to change the top housing.

15. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(indagarden @ Jul 1 2007, 06:02 PM) [snapback]471154[/snapback]</div>

You better be a girl or else your gonna get flamed, big time. If you dont know how to change your air filter then start riding the bus. Sorry, I'm such a troll :unsure: , but as soon as you open your hood, its in your face!
    If your a girl, ignore all of this, and props for working on your own car! Most girls are ok to ask this question because they usually rely on the man to work on the cars.

16. Metro

Metro Your OEM Q & A Resource

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Jul 1 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]471164[/snapback]</div>
    I firmly believe that waiting 30,000 miles to change engine and cabin air filters is much too long. Granted some people will think that I am a dealer and have something to gain by suggesting changing sooner and I am strictly speaking from a monetary standpoint. I am not. Check your filters at 15,000 miles and you will most likely be surprised at how dirty they are. Toyota does not mandate replacement at 15k, but they do tell you to check them both. We all know that Toyota is not always correct with everything they recommend, like engine oil level for one, but they at least tell you to look. For those of you who like to have your service done at a dealer, then just ask them to see the 2 filters before they replace them. That is pretty common here at my dealership whether the customer asks or not. We just show them so that they are aware and can be better educated for the future. I am sure it also helps show them that we can be honest too. ;) I am not here trying to drum up business and get people to buy their filters from me, just some helpful advice since I have seen a lot of dirty filters long before they ever get to 30k. Just my 2 cents worth.

17. s1flaherty

s1flaherty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Jul 3 2007, 08:23 AM) [snapback]472195[/snapback]</div>
    How flattering! If a 56 year old woman is a girl, then yes! I bought the filter at Toyota for $17.00 and changed it. (15xxx miles) I followed the directions of the posters and it was a snap. It was dirty. (The last time I looked at an air filter, years ago, was a round thing.) I'll have the dealer change it with the prepaid maintenance at 30,000, and then do it myself, and the cabin one in between dealer changes, at 15,000 mile intervals. It can get pretty dusty here with the wind. Thanks for all the help.

18. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes!!! How awesome is that! If your single, just change keep changing it every day in a gym parking lot and you wont be single for long :p haha. Ya, I'd suggest every 10k miles, because a dirty air filter can really really REALLY have a negative effect on your MPG. I change mine every fall and spring because road salt buildup kills them. I dont have a normal airfilter, mine is actually relocated lower in the grills for better airflow. So I get more crap on mine a lot faster. Thats why I change it twice a year, but with a normal one, I'd say once a year/10k miles is optimal.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In the mid 1990's I lived for a couple of years in Mesquite, NV. It can get dusty - and HOT - there too.

One thing I've noticed with constant city driving is that I'm lucky to get 8 months out of my ICE air filter. It's usually jet black, probably all that soot from diesel trucks and busses. I'm lucky to get 4-6 months out of the passenger compartment air filter.

One thing I did do was get a high efficiency furnace filter, with a carbon charcoal prefilter, and cut it to fit the passenger compartment HVAC filter. Seems to do a much better job than the dealer filter, and far cheaper as I can get two filters out of a $20 furnace filter.

20. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just changed my filter for the first time today, both cabin and engine. Piece of cake. You've got to love Toyota. 30,000 miles, change the filters, check out a couple of things, good to go. Wish I could say things were as cheap and easy with my wife's Subaru Outback!