1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charge State Display

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Bob_Stan, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It may just be selective memory on my part, but the battery charge indicator on my 2009 Prius seems to be staying full green most of the time. I thought in the past it was mainly in the blue, unless I had descended a long hill. Also, when I am accelerating going up a steep hill, the MFD shows the battery charging even though it is 8 bars. Is this normal? I have had it checked by the dealer and they say everything is normal.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, all green all the time? doesn't seem right. mine only goes green after pronged glides or some types of highway driving.

3. Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It isn't that it is always green. When driving on level ground in the 40 to 50 mph range like thorugh town, it will dip into the blue for a while, but very seldom.

4. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    How's your MPG? Is it dropping...more so than winter weather accounts for?

It might be time to check your 12v battery for replacement.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Eight green bars most of the time is very unusual, but 7 green bar not so uncommon, especially when the engine is running a lot to maintain heat in winter.

BTW. Many people report 8 green bars when there's actually only 7.

6. Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is possible that I am miscounting the bars, but historically on my average drives I get 49-52 mpg in the summer and 42 to 48 in the winter. Now I am getting 38 to 42, although it has been cold recently. The point has become moot though, as I just traded it in on a 2011 blizzard pearl Prius.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In summer you only run the engine when you need charge or you need to go somewhere.

In winter you also run the engine to heat the cabin, but a byproduct of that is 'spare' electricity, so the computers put it in your battery until they can dissipate it.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope you disclosed your 'problem' to them.:rolleyes:

9. Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I trraded it in to the same dealership that does ALL the service on my vehicle so they have a complete service history. In fact, at the last service (300 miles ago) I specifically asked that they check out the issue and they reported everything was fine.

I just finished running the procedures detailed in this forum to check the 12 volt battery and find that it is at 11.4 volts so I believe that is the source of the problem. Why they didn't find the same thing during the last service is a mystery.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I see this frequently in winter, and sometimes on the highway where the ICE has to run continuously.

Tom

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good question, it's amazing how often people report issues involving low 12V battery voltages but the dealer never finds the problem. I think in most case they don't do anything other than check for codes. No code then no problem found.

12. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Trading my '07 HCH for an '08 Prius. Based on this quote, does the Prius software 'force an impromptu' balance of the cels as a normal state of affairs? Only reason I ask: with issues with the Civic IMA battery, I always thought that there should have been some sort of gentle but forced low amp charge just to keep the cels balanced. Or am i reading too much into this.

Signed: 4 days until delivery and counting:)