1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chargepoint stats - help

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by fortytwok, Apr 28, 2014.

1. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all that talk about cost of charging got me to dig into my Chargepoint report

I can sometimes charge for free multiple times in a day there so I wasn't sure about some of the report but pulling up just the last 7 days I saw several days that I could confirm as just one charge sessions.
    Its a consistent route for me and has been taking 5.0 EV miles. I've then charged fully adding 7.3 EV miles and driven home - again arriving down 5 miles.
    My Chargepoint report is showing 1.0 kWh for those charges - taking 30 minutes. Its not rounding as some days I see fractions and Time-wise that's consistent with what I've monitored getting full charge in 68-72 minutes.

My question is this implies a full charge of 2.4 kWh - I keep seeing 3.0 being quoted as full
    am I missing something ? could there be a variance that large ?

I'm going to monitor this more closely

2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    depends on how much EV miles you have remaining before you charge.

3. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "depends on how much EV miles you have remaining before you charge."

I stated that - 7.3 miles remaining.
    All these numbers seem to show a 0 - full charge being about 2.4 kWh

4. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With EV miles a rough estimate, you can't accurately extrapolate the results. Try driving the vehicle so there are no EV miles remaining and then charging if you want more accuracy.

5. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also the pip charging system only charges the battery to 85%

SM-G900T ?

6. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Also the pip charging system only charges the battery to 85%"

I understand that, but don't think it affects what's happening here.
    As measured by Chargepoint I'm getting a full charge of 2.4 kWh. I'm getting about 14.5 actual miles off that full charge.
    John stated a full charge for him was about 2.6 again as measured by Chargepoint and he statd he was seeing an aerage of 2.75 so I think there's some variance here from that 3.0 many are using in the calculations.
    Maybe improvements to the 2013 ? do not know, but if you can get a full charge and same miles off fewer kWh that's gotta be good and helping with the cost equation ?

re extrapolating - there was no difference off the few times where I went from 0 - full
    Same rate of charge

7. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry doh! typed in wrong thread

8. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So today after work and extra time to spare - I drew the EV miles to zero and charged up at The 99 while having a burger and beer. Aim was to validate that my PiP was charging fully at 2.4 - 2.5.
    Ended up exceeding that - full charge measured by ChargePoint was 2.33 kWh / 12.1 EV miles and took just 64 minutes. It was cold in MA today just 43 degrees.

Now I know there's nothing wrong with my PiP - my EV estimate had been reading 12.4 until the recent cold snap and my actual has been mid 14's. But this would help explain why I'd consistently been having faster charge times if full for me is 2.4 kWh and some others close to 3.0
    And if I can get 14's off less energy draw that mean more $ savings so not complaining just find these diffences surprising

I'd be happy to share my ChargePoint report - can't figure out how to send as an image but will try to cut and paste :

View Energy GHG Savings Fuel Time Usage History Table By Time Period Today Last 7 Days This Month Last 30 Days Last 90 Days Last 365 Days This Year Lifetime Custom Update -- Export -- Summary (csv)

Showing 1 to 1 of 1 entries

CP Card#1 267004643 Session 2014-04-29 16:22:34 (EDT) 2014-04-29 17:26:19 (EDT)
    0.977 01:03:45 196 E Main St, Milford, Massachusetts, 01757, United States

9. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you have a windows PC, use "Snipping Tool" to capture a screenshot of Your chargepoint report. save it as a jpeg

fortytwok likes this.
  10. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hope this works :

edit - thanks Kitty!

Attached Files:

11. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no problemoh:D

12. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for posting this, fortytwok.. this is interesting, although I dont understand how there can be that big of a variance.

I usually make it to work with 1.5-2 miles or so of EV range left and I was consistently charging around 2.5kWh. There were a few times I'd make it to work with 0 EV range left, but a "full HV battery" and IIRC I charged just shy of 2.7 kWh. There was also one time I made it to work with a bit over 3 EV miles left and I took about 2.2 kWh or so.

This was in about 60-65F weather (charging in the afternoon before heading home)

I imagine your outside temp makes a bit of a difference, but 43F isnt THAT cold.. at least not enough to make that much of a difference (10%+ compared to my numbers?).. but I do not know

EDIT: ha, after I posted this I Googled it and found this:

Although I think the author is referring to lead acid batteries in this section, it is still a pretty big difference just due to temperature

source:
    Discharging at High and Low Temperatures – Battery University

13. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good stuff Trackside and could account for some slight difference but I thought I was getting 2.4 recently when we were in the 60s here - that's why I spent an hour testing today...
    I'll repeat this soon as we're getting mid 60s soon
    The point remains though that if I'm getting 14.5 miles off 2.33 kWh it's a good thing!

14. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The first few months I had my PIP I did several charges from just as EV miles went to 0.0. This was mid summer 2012. I got two charges, as reported by ChargePoint of 2.90-2.95...but most where 2.75 - 2.85. Summer 2013 I saw about 2.68 - 2.75. My EV miles estimate both summers was about 14.0.
    I'll check again in a couple of months...my EV estimate is currently 13.4.

Note that all these measurements were done with only EV driving beforehand. I've seen larger kwh when following HV driving.

Mike

15. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am experiencing the same or similar situation to the OP . I charge only at home, and a full charge from 0 EV miles to full charge of 12.8 EV to 13.4 EV is only taking about 2 hours 15 minutes which is around 2.4 kwh. I am using the ESEV that came with the car and have a 120 volt 20 amp rated ground fault outlet.

16. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "The first few months I had my PIP I did several charges from just as EV miles went to 0.0. This was mid summer 2012. I got two charges, as reported by ChargePoint of 2.90-2.95...but most where 2.75 - 2.85. Summer 2013 I saw about 2.68 - 2.75. My EV miles estimate both summers was about 14.0.
    I'll check again in a couple of months...my EV estimate is currently 13.4.

Note that all these measurements were done with only EV driving beforehand. I've seen larger kwh when following HV driving.
    Mike "

Mike - I'm guessing temps in the 70's given your locale ?
    also - I too was only using EV miles just before and actually always do before charging at that Chargepoint.
    I actually had to drive around for 2 extra miles to arrive there at zero

I'd like to think that capacity hasn't diminished with number of charges? I can only think of one user who may charge as often as I - I'm at 90% lifetime EV after 13 months now...
    I'm still getting mid 14's actual so any degradation is minor, a lot less than this would suggest

17. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just checked my Chargepoint stats and see 2.947 and 2.8 kWh. The last charge took 1h40m and it was a partial charge as I arrived with 1 EV mile remaining. At home I charge L1 so assuming greater charging loss, the ~3 kWh/charge fits for me.

So if it is temperature related, that means you could get another 4 EV miles off a a full 3 kWh? That would be spectacular to have 18.5 miles EV range.

iPhone ?

18. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a typical (old style) ChargePoint graph for my PIP starting with less than 1EV mile range remaining when I plugged in...
    Charging Session.jpg

19. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just charged at a chargepoint station near work. I started out with 0 EV miles and the full charge took 2.774 KWHrs and left me with an EV Range of 10.1 miles. Temperature here in LA is 81 F at the moment. I've logged 10 full charges at chargepoint stations since Jan 30 and the average usage was 2.74 KWHrs.

Noel

20. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "I just checked my Chargepoint stats and see 2.947 and 2.8 kWh. The last charge took 1h40m and it was a partial charge as I arrived with 1 EV mile remaining. At home I charge L1 so assuming greater charging loss, the ~3 kWh/charge fits for me.
    So if it is temperature related, that means you could get another 4 EV miles off a a full 3 kWh? That would be spectacular to have 18.5 miles EV range. "

sure would (range of 18.5) but I can tell you that's not happening
    While I didn't pay attention to Chargepoint reports last summer I did closely watch EV range and actual. I maxed out around 16.5

Part of this is all making sense though - I'd been insisting my PiP was charging much faster than others on here and that would make sense if full for me is 2.33 kWh or thereabouts. I'd be pissed if that came with 20% lower range but its not - even in 40 degree temps I'm getting 13.5-14 miles.

I think Toyota should give me a freebie to monitor such! I read where they never expected owners to be charging so much and I think at 90% EV I way exceed those parameters...

anyway - 65 degrees coming so I'll so I'll repeat this test

edit : I found a 0-full charge in mid Dec so 30 degrees and it reported 2.38 kWh in 68minutes