1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging time

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Paul Rekow, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Paul Rekow

Paul Rekow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have a 2012 PPI. I have been generally very happy with it. Lately I've noticed that it will not take a full charge. Several times I have come home and have been out of charge when I've plugged it in. At around 2 hrs give or take 10 min. the charger will shut off and have an estimated drive time of 8.6~ driving range. I have still been able to get close to 10 miles actual driving miles. When we first got the PPI, charge time was much closer to 3 hours and estimated range was 11 miles +/- .75. We would actually be able to drive close to 15 miles sometimes then.

We live in NW Iowa and have anticipated and noticed shorter estimated miles due to colder weather. The estimated drive miles has always improved with warmer temps. The thing that concerns me now is the charge time.

By the way I tried to attach an Excel and Word files showing monthly kwh used and miles driven but got an error stating the file was empty.

My total miles driven on EV is over 11220 miles, Kwh used was 2884 the end of last month. Best month was 736 EV miles in one month. Best miles per kwh was 4.718 miles/kwh. Miles driven in EV and miles/kwh are significantly less in winter months. Currently at about 26% EV miles. As you can tell I make lots of short (~10mile rt) trips and plug in 4-5 times per day.

Also have noticed that the EV kicks out easier when stepping on the gas from a stop, even when there is charge available. When we first got the PPI my driving habits changed a fair bit to boost mileage. I don't think my driving habits have changed much since then, but have definitely noticed that the gas engine kicks in more frequently than it did in the past.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Paul

p.s. we also have a 2008 Pruis with about 95000 miles

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! please post your fill up stats in our spreadsheet, thanks! the charge time is concerning. can you do some testing and get back to us? drive in ev until you're out and the ice kicks on, come home and charge, check car frequently so you have a close measurement of charge time. the ev estimate is less concerning. some folks here charge in 2-2 1/2 hours, mine takes 3 hours. it seems to be a power supply problem, although, everything in my house works fine.

#2 bisco, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the EV battery icon on the display show full after charging?

4. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would get a wifi dongle and tourque app for an android device plus the codes for the PPI. Then you can check the voltage on he individual cells in the traction battery and the delta (difference between highest and lowest cell?) to get a good idea of the health of your traction battery.

Did a quick search on torque in title and found this thread with codes for the PPI; Prius PHV: Custom PIDs for Torque Android App | PriusChat

Enjoy.

Looking forward to your spreadsheet. Here is a thread about posting tables;Tables: Take Two | PriusChat

5. Paul Rekow

Paul Rekow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey Bisco, thanks for the reply. I have been doing as you said (charge, drive till ice, charge, check) but it is hard to check every couple minutes so closest I've come for sure is 10 minutes. 3 fills today were all two hours or just under. Is there any timer in the display that I haven't found. I have a kill-a-watt meter I might start using again, as it has a time elapsed function, but I have not used that function much. I am also using the kill-a-watt meter on my electric lawnmower a fair bit. Also when I first got the PPI and used the kill-a-watt meter for several months in a row, it indicated a greater than 10% difference to what the car showed for the month. I attributed some of that to waste in the transformer so I always unplug the cord when not in use and the difference between k-a-w meter and car got better.

Thanks, Paul

p.s. I have not been able to get into the spreadsheet! Also I do not keep track of the gas fill ups as we usually only fill once or twice a month currently

El Dobro, yes the battery icon shows full, plus estimated miles

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a timer on the clock. but it doesn't limit charge, it just allows you to set a start time, or a finish time. but with you charging at all different times, i don't see how it could affect you, even if it was mistakenly set to stop charging at a certain timewould you say that you have lost actual ev miles of driving, disregarding the estimated display?

#6 bisco, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
  7. Paul Rekow

Paul Rekow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What is the average EV miles available on a full charge for a 2012 PPI? Mine is currently about 9.6, and will go lower as we head into winter

Thanks, Paul

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the average is probably unknown. there is a thread or two here where people discuss their ev estimate and actual ev miles driven. i'm at 14.2 estimate right now, and get between 13-15. it was a little higher over the summer and lower in the winter. the weird thing is, in 2012 and 2013, my high summer ev estimate was 16.5, but this summer it never went over 15.6. keep in mind, it's fairly flat around here, and i drive really slow, average 24 mph.

9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That has to be the lowest I've heard of during the summer. You must have some high speed sections of road? What is your commute like?

10. Paul Rekow

Paul Rekow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey Bisco, thanks for the reply. After posting my previous post I did find several other posts that showed similar to what you said, that's part of the reason I feel that I have something wrong with mine. I would say that it is fairly flat here as well and my average speed is generally around 25 on average for a tankful.

I wonder if part of my problem is that my average commute is 8 - 10 miles and I plug it in after every commute? Just a thought.

Paul

Thanks, Paul[/QUOTE]
    That has to be the lowest I've heard of during the summer. You must have some high speed sections of road? What is your commute like?[/QUOTE]

Not sure what happened, I had a long post all written and thought I posted but it didn't post, oh well here goes again.

Hey Mark, we do NOT have much for high speed driving in fact we take a little longer (time wise) route to town to avoid having to get up to highway speed for 3/4 of a mile. We usually have the PPI at 65 or above about once a month.

Our average commute is about 8 - 10 miles round trip. When we first got the PPI we could routinely drive to my wife's work, church or school, back home again and back in to any of the three before running out of battery. Now we are just about out when we get home.

We reset trip B on the odometer every time we fill gas. When we reset the mileage is usually between 800- 950, sometimes over 1000, the mpg is around 100 mpg +/- 10 mpg, and the mph is usually around 25 or so.

I took the PPI into our Toyota dealer and he ran multiple scans and all came back OK. Our PPI is the only one he has worked on, and as far as I know it was the only one in Iowa, as of last fall when I licensed it. I wish I had had the Prius technician print out the battery voltage readings, if my memory is correct they all read about 25.4~ within .2 I think. This was after driving 25 miles and the battery estimate was empty. I took the charge cord along and wanted him to charge it to see how long it took and see what the readings were when it was done but the technician didn't think that would help.

I noticed your from NE, what part? Where do you have your PPI serviced?

Thanks again to all for your thoughts,
    Paul

#10 Paul Rekow, Sep 29, 2014
  11. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Think Big Red!!!

markabele likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would run the battery down to the hv portion, then charge it and see how long it charges, then note your ev estimate and take it for an all ev drive slow enough to average 20-22mph with no speed over 30. easy acceleration and braking, and let us know how many miles you go before the ice kicks on.

13. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed your from NE, what part? Where do you have your PPI serviced?

Thanks again to all for your thoughts,
    Paul[/QUOTE]
    I just have had standard service done so far at my local dealership. To be honest, not quite sure what I'd do if I ever had some serious trouble with the drivetrain. Not sure if they would work on it or not.

14. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Take a route as flat as possible and as few stop lights and stop signs as possibleSure they would! If they are a good service dealer, which I am sure they are. My dealer went to training in 2012 to make sure they had people ready to help plug-in customers.

Only problem is I don't know if they have had to use that training, will they remember how to use it when needed?

I don't know. I don't loose any sleep over it. I am sure if we need a repair we will get thru the process. :)

#14 retired4999, Sep 29, 2014
  15. Paul Rekow

Paul Rekow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Chazz8, thanks for the reply sorry for not responding earlier. I have been trying to figure this out as I am not very tech savvy. I do not have an Android device, I have an IPhone instead. Is there an app available for an IPhone that I can check individual cell voltage in the traction battery?

Would the Scan Guage II allow me to check this?

Thanks, Paul

p.s. My charge time is still around 1.5 hours from empty to full. I have tried several of the things mentioned in this thread to no avail

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles can you drive in ev now? it's been in the 60's here mostly, and i've lost 10% or so.

17. Paul Rekow

Paul Rekow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My EV estimate miles have been down at 8 miles all winter. I checked with the service technician in CA where we bought the car from and he mentioned two ways to try and reset the traction battery. The first he mentioned was to take it in to a service technician and have them hook it up to there computer and do a reset that way. The other was to remove the high voltage safety disconnect in the back, let it sit for a while, then reconnect the safety switch. I did the second option, but did not see any improvement. When I took the car into a dealer/service in SD, they were not able to get it in that day. The service advisor looked on the computer and there was a service advisory/bulletin that said "the EV miles / battery charge was a known concern to owners but not a problem" (not sure exact words).
    Does anyone know if there is an app for the I-phone yet.
    Thanks, Paul

Attached Files:

18. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Starting EV miles is just an estimate of your recent driving patterns (habits).

Speed, cold temps, heater use, fan speed and many other things can change this est.

I am at 9.3 est. miles right now about the same as the last 3 years. In the summer it's about 15.0 est.

I think your just fine, just wait for summer!

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hi paul, 2 things: what's the furthest you have ever driven in ev? can you explain your spreadsheet to this dolt?:p

20. Paul Rekow

Paul Rekow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hi paul, 2 things: what's the furthest you have ever driven in ev? can you explain your spreadsheet to this dolt?:p[/QUOTE]

Hey Bisco, I don't keep track of it that close. Too many short 4-5 mile trips and then shut the car off. I believe when we first got it in 2012 there were times when we got 15+ miles on EV, but I don't have any records.

The first set of columns in the spreadsheet is the KWH used each month according to the last meter on the display. The second is the EV miles driven each month and the third area is the miles divided by the KWH.

Paul

I know it is hard to be specific on driving habits, but I disagree on this. As far as speed when I'm driving in EV I rarely get above 35. Yes it is cold now, but last summer the est. never got above 11 something. I try to avoid the heater/defrost/fan at all times. I open the windows slightly to defrost the front windshield. I am going to try not having the lights on during the day to see if that effects things. I think the biggest thing that affects the mileage est. is lots of short trips, but no one has confirmed that.

#20 Paul Rekow, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015