1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chatted with the local Police

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Aug 10, 2014.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Police in my town were celebrating their 75th anniversary with an open house, so I attended and asked some questions.
    • Do you see drivers going really slow? Answer: not very often, but those that do can be cited for Impeding Traffic.
    • How many drivers (other than Saturday PM when it's off the charts) are too upset, on drugs, or had a drink? Did not get a good guessimate, but I suspect in D/FW it's 5-10% from observation of crazy driving. Of course, anyone that sees a patrolman is going to behave. ;)
    • Various questions on K9's...the PD pays up to $10,000 from the Czech Republic for them.
    • Question for the firemen: What I need to know about CPR - press hard!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would like to know why some towns have radar out all the time and give maximum fines for speeding, and others seem to have a laissez faire attitude.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Our Police really don't bother too much. They're hot on dangerous parking or uninsured vehicles and sometimes do the odd speedcheck if they get hassled by the residents. Generally so long as you don't take the p*ss they don't mind. I guess they have more important things to do.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    donuts?

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Cup of tea and a biscuit more like :)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    makes sense.

7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Besides, they have *lots* of traffic cameras to take care of the routine stuff.
    (got a ticket in Glasgow in my hire car last Easter after entering a buses-only street with *very* confusing signage)

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Signage is always confusing in a different country. Some of your signs and rules are different to ours but I do agree, some of these cameras in bus lanes etc are ridiculous. People refuse to pull into these lanes or past the line near a red light to let emergency vehicles past because doing so will trigger an automatic fine.

Thankfully my area doesn't have such cameras because they agree they're counter productive. They also only have a few speed camera vans rather than fixed speed cameras (cash cows). Every week they say where the van is which helps. I'd rather have our Police than those from other areas around. If you're just over the limit you'll generally be ok and on the motorway near me the limit is 70 but you can get away with upto 80/85 depending on conditions. The only exception is a 50 mph limit on motorway construction zones. They're super hot on those.

Safety cameras - Harrogate - North Yorkshire Police

Motorist who pulled into bus lane to let fire engines on emergency call pass is hit with £30 penalty | Mail Online

ftl likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you not have a method to make sure people have insurance?

10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes

Insurance for third parties is a requirement as is payment of annual car tax and a safety and emissions test (MOT test). These three items are on a Police national computer. The insurance companies have got to submit the details to this computer every evening (though there are allowances upto 21/30 days), the car tax has got to be paid annually and ranges from £0 for a Prius to £500+ for a Range Rover V8 etc with big fines for non payment, and the MOT test has to be in force to use the car on the road. The Police rely on number plate (license plate) recognition cameras in their cars and will full over any car that flags up. This doesn't indicate an offence as sometimes the insurance details can take a few weeks to catch up but it does mean inconvenience to the owner who has to physically take their insurance papers to the Police or risk a fine.

There are tools to check when your tax and MOT are due by entering your registration number and vehicle make. Insurance details are not traceable by the public, though other insurance companies and the Police can.

Vehicle enquiry
    - GOV.UK

Do a google of a uk car and the reg number is usually AA09ABC or BB56LMN layout and it'll tell you about the car and tax and mot status.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so more time for tea and crumpets.:)

12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To be fair they're actually ok. They will actively check cars for bald tyres and other condition of use offences. Dodgy tyres will get you a big fine but a blow bulb usually just gets you a friendly reminder. Don't ignore that though as if they spot you again after a couple weeks with the same blow bulb they'll have you.

They're busy enough with crimes and accidents than bothering people for having a blow brake light, but some areas are different. Overall I like my Police. They have the balance between being useful and getting in the way about right.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is speeding pretty much cool with them in your area?

14. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ A lot of speeders in the D/FW area.....seems like a lot of money could be collected from speeders.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i was a speeder, they DID collect a lot of money. i guess i was ahead of my time.:p

16. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No.

But they seem more balanced in their policing. Some areas you get a fine and points just a few mph over the limit regardless of where. Here it appears more sensible as they only police areas at risk; busy areas, near schools, near playparks, accident black spots. They don't hide around corners trying to fine you for doing 63 in a 60 zone on a wide open road.

So do 65 or 70 (60 zone) on a long wide open road in the middle of nowhere and you'll get away with it forever. Do 35 in a 30 zone near a school and they'll not be impressed and you should expect a ticking off and possibly a fine and points. Park over the white lines near a pedestrian crossing and expect a fine and licence points (we add points to make 12 for a ban, you deduct them to 0 I believe) too, with no ticking off. Talk on your phone and expect a fine and points.

Generally they focus their attention. To be fair, you're unlikely to go over 30 mph on our streets but some do.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that sounds reasonable, not so in my area. go as fast as you want, seems to be the mantra. one cop got reprimanded for giving a local a ticket for going 45 in a school zone.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.