1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap LED license plate bulbs from ebay does the trick

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Grren4ever, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hello folks,

I'm sure there have been a dozen threads on the purchase and install of good or bad license plate bulbs from various internet vendors. Today I installed my LED license plate bulbs that I purchased for only $6 off ebay. I was weary of previous threads warning about blu-ish bulbs - and since the cops here will bust you for almost anything they can, I was very cautious.

Took my chances from this ebay seller claiming to sell "HID white bulbs." Seller was very fast in shipping and communicated well:

2 x LED 5 SMD 168 194 2825 HID White Bulbs for License Plate Lights | eBay

And on with the pictures of install:

Not a bad light output, I'd say that it is very similar to florescent tube's (cool white) color. Perhaps 5000K. The output is good enough to turn heads but not good enough to for law enforcement to give you trouble. Best $6 I ever spent of the Prius :)

Attached Files:

jaymac and thekenstar like this.
  2. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting that the eBay listing says it won't fit on the 2014 Prius. Is this a direct swap with the stock bulbs?

Thanks for sharing! I'm interesting in changing out all the exterior lights to LED and then all the interior eventually.

3. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hi Seanzky,

I'm 99% sure it will fit the 2014 Prius. It probably doesn't say that on the website because it is not updated with 2014 info yet. Yes, direct swap for the original factory bulbs. Took me just 2 min to install. The only thing I have to be worried about now is flickering. I've bought LED bulbs for my home before from ebay and the bulbs flickered after a period of use :(

4. Eugene Hong

Eugene Hong Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They all eventually flicker. I bought a set of 10 on amazon for $10 just to have spares.

5. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Flickering is something I'd be worried about. Anything that resembles strobing will definitely catch the attention of cops.

6. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They're not going to strobe, they'll just occasionally blink and then die.
    Honestly, they're so cheap, I don't care. I've had pretty good luck and only had one go bad on me in the year since I swapped them all.

7. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    DC-voltage lamps should NOT ever be "flickering"! If they are "flickering," it's a definite visual indication of pending (sooner or later) failure.