1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap OBD2 scanner?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by scottwg, Feb 14, 2016.

1. scottwg

scottwg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2006 with over 220K. I am starting to have some interesting problems come up where I would want to know the codes. I can get some really cheap OBD2 scanners on Ebay. I have no real interest in doing anything with the scanner other than reading my codes so is there anything an expensive/name brand scanner would do that the cheap one would not? Are there car safety issues? Right now, I am not interested in clearing codes. So far, my experience with my 2006 is that I can clear all my codes by disconnecting the battery. I am trying to diagnose some possible ECU problems. I would really like one of those blue tooth ones, but I can get a really cheap one on Ebay for $16-$30.

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Get a Mini-VCI. Same price as the bluetooth adapters, but you'll have the same capabilities as the Toyota dealer. Just requires a Windows laptop (32bit is easiest to install on).

3. scottwg

scottwg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks good. I might give that a shot. but right now at least, I am not looking for that level of information. Is there any reason why the cheap thing on Ebay would not give me the simple code information I would need to look up the error code on line? Would there be a drawback to that device?

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Go to the torque information site and make sure to buy a bluetooth adapter that will work with Torque Pro (a $5 android app). Otherwise the MiniVCI is a good choice as mentioned above.

JeffD

5. scottwg

scottwg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, I thought those bluetooth products were more expensive than they are. I just got one. Thanks for the advice.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Shame you don't see the value of mini VCI ($20-$25 on Amazon/eBay). It would require a laptop for install; ideally a spare junker that you would use just of Toyota diagnosis. If you have friends in IT, they probably have access to obsolete company laptops collecting dust.

Mini VCI:
    • will read all codes, unlike generic OBD2 readers.
    • can read the Toyota family (Toyota, Lexus, Scion).
    • Latest Techstream software version will read the latest model years.
    • Version 8 is sufficient for Gen 2 (2004-2009).

7. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I recently bought the BAFX Bluetooth scanner from Amazon. It works fine on a four year old 7" Samsung android with Torque Pro software. I wasn't using the tablet and didn't want a scanner that used a laptop.

The BAFX, Torque Pro, a short extension cable, and the info on this forum work fine for my needs. Total cost was about $30 from Amazon. The 7" tablet is small and mounts on the dash.

It looks like Amazon buyers often get an inexpensive bluetooth and they also buy the usb connected mini VCI

. . . . . "You can't have too many tools..." ___ Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor, Home Improvement ( TV series 1991-99 )

. . . . . So, I bought another, smaller mini-sized, bluetooth scanner that has a built in on-off switch. $15 from Amazon.
    . . . . . Of course, there's a mini VCI in my future, as soon as I buy a new laptop and re-purpose the old one..

8. CaiYanzhang

CaiYanzhang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Three
    Mini VCI I got $27 from Xhorse Tech,came with good PCB layout. I am running latest Ver.10 (10.30.029)

Attached Files: