1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine and Red Stop Car Caution indication appears and disappears

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Shahid Saleem, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Shahid Saleem

Shahid Saleem New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Day before yesterday following errors appeared on my prius disply. after 2 hours it disappeared and after 1 day again appeared.
    Car is running normally even after these messages. anyone can help?????

20130401_164830.jpg 20130401_144003-1 (1).jpg 20130401_151120.jpg

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    That "Read Failure" code has been seen before when an OBDII reader corrupts the data on the CAN bus. Very few PC members are familiar with Japanese versions of the Prius, but there are some.

JeffD

3. Shahid Saleem

Shahid Saleem New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear JeffD

Thanks for reply,

Yesterday this error message disappeared but after three hours. I am very confuse. Should I stop driving it in this situation? Please advice.

Shahid

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    This is a communication error on the CAN bus. I doubt that driving your car can cause damage. If it reappears, you may have a cable or connector problem and those are hard to track down.

JeffD

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do me a favor and check your oil level.

Britprius likes this.
  6. Shahid Saleem

Shahid Saleem New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear JeffD
    following info i got on net. And now i am going to see Toyota workshop with this information.

Luscious Garage | Blog | Prius Code P0A93: Inverter Water Pump Failure
    All hybrids have “inverters”—assemblies that translate high voltage direct current (DC) of the battery into alternating current (AC) for the motor/generator(s). The chopping and reconstituting of current creates heat, which must be dissipated for the components to last. Honda hybrids are relatively light duty and can get by cooling the inverter with air, tucking it back near the trunk alongside the battery. Toyota “hybrid synergy drive” style hybrids are heavier duty and require water-cooled inverters, which is why they are located under the hood (for proximity to the radiator).
    On the water-cooled varieties, the “inverter water pump” circulates the coolant from the inverter to the radiator whenever the car is on. Circulation is confirmed by removing the cap on the inverter coolant reservoir and checking for turbulence (see video below). If turbulence is missing, one of the following is true:
    1.) The inverter water pump has failed
    2.) The pump circuit is open (no power e.g.)
    3.) The cooling system is blocked (kinked hose, e.g.)
    4.) The cooling system has an air pocket

Regardless of the reason, the lack of circulation will cause the inverter to overheat, setting a trouble code. On the second generation Prius (model year 2004-2009) that code is P0A93, information subcode 346: “Inverter Cooling System Performance.” Diagnosis commonly leads to a seized water pump, a problem we’ve seen multiple times on Prius as young as 55,000 miles.
    Toyota has updated the design of the replacement pump (part number G9020-47031) to solve the problem. You can tell the updated design from the original by the color of the mounting base (black is original, silver is updated) though late models with the updated design (silver base) have also experienced failures. Toyota has also issued a Technical Service Bulletin outlining the failure on 2004, 2005, and 2006 Prius: TSB EG001-07.
    regards,
    Shahid

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Put your Prius in "Ready" mode, but keep it in Park. Open the hood and check for turbulence in the Inverter coolant reservoir. If there is coolant flow, then there is no problem in that cooling loop. If not, follow the info that you quoted from Luscious Garage.

JeffD

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Put your Prius in "Ready" mode, but keep it in Park. Open the hood and check for turbulence in the Inverter coolant reservoir. If there is coolant flow, then there is no problem in that cooling loop. If not, follow the info that you quoted from Luscious Garage.

If you are driving in hot weather and a coolant loop is not working, damage can result.

JeffD

9. Shahid Saleem

Shahid Saleem New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear JeffD,

i have done the same. Pump was out of order. I have replaced it and now my prius is as good as previous. Thanks for your support.

Complete information about this error is attatched with this message. I hope it will be helpful for other members.

shahid Saleem

Attached Files: