1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Check Hybrid System" Error right out of the dealership

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MichaelSpeziale, Apr 25, 2014.

1. MichaelSpeziale

MichaelSpeziale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So I bought a 2010 Prius IV from a nearby dealership today. I had test driven it twice before buying, but when I was taking it home I got the error "Check Hybrid System," and the car slowed to a stop. I had to call the dealership to come tow it back and it's being serviced right now. I'm mostly venting, but also more than a little concerned. I checked the orange clip/wire in the back and it was connected properly. Anyone have any idea what this could be and how big of an issue it really is?

2. KhaPhoRa

KhaPhoRa Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately, the check hybrid system can be somewhat generic and if there is any type of short or bad connection, this error message can appear (it happened to me while I was checking some wires). Hopefully your dealership can diagnose the reason for it. How many miles are on your pre-owned 2010?

4. MichaelSpeziale

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's 70k miles. It was strange but the message just came on and the car pulled over and then wouldn't ready. I just went back to the dealership when they were closed to grab some things I left inside, and it still has the message - not that I was really expecting anything else. It IS covered, but I was only wondering if this is the kind of thing that people notice recurs and if its generally hard to diagnose (its a prius being serviced at a chevy dealership)

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the error message is somewhat generic. However, the fact that the car became inoperable isn't good.

Some Check Hybrid System error messages are generic and can be reset IF the condition that caused it is temporary and or is corrected, simply by trying to get to Ready Mode a few times.

It's good that it will be diagnosed at the dealer since it's a new vehicle.

SCH-I535

6. MichaelSpeziale

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I sat with it for 30 minutes waiting for the tow, and reset the whole car more than a few times over the course of it. No changes at all, although everything except the drive system worked. What are the usual causes of that type of error message/shutdown, if that's not far too general of a question.

7. MichaelSpeziale

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Should this be a pretty painless repair through the dealer even tho they're Chevy? I'm hoping it won't take too long cause I'm eager to get the car back in working order

8. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    check the throttle body to see if the main hose is loose. and what error code you getting

9. MichaelSpeziale

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The dealership has it so I don't know the code

10. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's a very generic error, along the lines of the check engine light. It could be anything from a loose connection to a problem with the battery, inverter, MG, etc. The code will significantly narrow it down. I'm sure that the dealer has access to the repair manual, even though they're not a Toyota dealer, and so should probably be able to figure it out.

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could it be anything to do with the car being sat on their lot for 6 months and has a rather flat 12v. Dealer jump started said car when you came to collect but the 12v was just way too weak?

Unusual for a gen3 with only 70k miles to fail that quickly.

12. MichaelSpeziale

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It always ran fine during test drives right away but it has been on the lot 10 months

13. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to take it to a certified Toyota hybrid mechanic and have its systems checked fully. Also, since it's a 2010, could someone have done a mod where the wiring was done incorrectly? For it to shut down completely is not a good sign. Was this a one-owner car? Was it in an accident? You might want to do a Carfax on it to be sure.

14. MichaelSpeziale

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This was a one owner car and no accidents were reported to Carfax, at least. Everything is stock, and it was fully loaded. I just talked to the dealership, and they said I'll hear back Monday with an update, because there is no one there today who is qualified to work on a Prius.

15. MichaelSpeziale

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After mentioning the recall on the phone with the Chevy services dept., they said it had to go to Toyota, anyway. I was confused because it said all work has be done at the dealership in the warranty.

16. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe this was the one-in-a-million Prius where the inverter overheated somehow (the most recent recall should have remedied the potential problem). If it does turn out to be an inverter failure, you might want to consider your options as one member here had to wait over a month for "specially built" 2010 inverter.

17. MichaelSpeziale

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In CT, I don't really have options, to be honest. The dealer is obligated for 60 days to cover 100% of parts and labor required to "keep the vehicle safe and mechanically sound," but there is no right to return. Since they said it is going to have to go to Toyota though, I'm more hopeful this will be done right.

18. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The first thing you should do when your car ends up at a Toyota dealership is find out if the latest recall was done. It's a re-flash of the ECU so as to prevent the inverter from overheating during certain high-speed accelerations. Follow this thread about a member who had trouble getting a replacement inverter for a 2010:
    Failed inverter. 25 Days and counting.... Waiting for the part | PriusChat

19. MichaelSpeziale

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I already called Toyota and verified it's an open recall on my VIN.

20. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear that. Any warranty from Chevy or sold as is?

How many bars on HV when you started driving?