1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System - pull over !

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by fortytwok, Jul 9, 2014.

1. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sitting at the dealership right now waiting for the tech's analysis...

Came on after I used my key to activate the AC - for the first time I should add.
    Roadside assistance said it was fine to drive although the warning and check engine lights remained.
    2 hrs later both messages were gone but they said the computer could let us know what happened.

anyone else with this ? I was parked, not driving when it happened - 90 degrees

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Were you in Park or Neutral?

3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do/did you have a OBD adapter plugged? I found that it can sometimes cause the car to throw errors. I removed it and the car reset itself.

4. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope
    Toyota just finished up - says the multiple codes were confusing and they think it possible that there was radio type interference prompting this given I was at the train station. No inverter codes came up. We'll see if it ever happens again...

as an aside - the tech says they were very interested in my car due to the almost 91%lifetime EV. He said once they hooked it up to the computer they were requested to go down some different paths - whatever that means is beyond me

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had the same warning, but it went away after a few minutes. I'm sure it was caused when I had some things unplugged while the dash was dismantled when I was doing some wiring for my extra cameras.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    the a/c refused to come on several times in my month old car the other day while charging, using the fob a/c button. It went through all the pre stages of switching on, then shut down, everything was just off again. The only thing I can think of which might have caused it was that the outside temp was around 75 and the a/c was set at 79.
    I'm not sure how I had my a/c set at 79 either.

Do you remember if the pack was fully charged when you activated the a/c? How many ev miles was your gauge showing were available?

Those different paths they were talking about were most likely the techstream ODB diagnostics. That stuff is pretty advanced these days.
    Just look at what you can get out of the torque app a bluetooth doggle and your cell.
    It's incredible.

#6 vvillovv, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope these aren't tell-tale signs of a buggy computer system. I've had minor irregularities, but nothing that wasn't rectified by turning something off and on again. I haven't read about any major problems with it so far.

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm not worried about mine. I most likely asked the car to do something it knew I shouldn't have asked it to do.
    Understanding what that is/was will help me use the car more efficently, if I can figure it out.

That is why I'm also interested in what fortytwok remembers about the car when it happened.
    Things like what the a/c temp was set at, how much charge was in the pack, was it 90 in full sun or partly shaded, etc?

9. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    For the remote to work,
    1. Car must be locked
    2. Must have adequate traction battery state of charge
    3. Ambient temperature must be greater than setpoint

I think your situation failed point 3. :)

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never had any bugs.

11. Gruvin2

Gruvin2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    iirc I tried to use the remote AC start to no avail to find out you must have the headlights turned off.

Tracksyde likes this.
  12. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    AC was set at 68 and I had roughly 11 miles left as the train station is close.
    It was 90 full sun.
    I have the error codes at home - traveling now...

13. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, I tried the A/C button the other day, it was well over 90. It was the first time I tried it and nothing happened. I pressed it multiple times and got frustrated. I figured there must be something I'm doing wrong. I'll give it a go again tomorrow.

14. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sad because it is an option but I'm not so sure I'm gonna try the key AC again ! Car is garaged and I've prob only used AC a few times anyway. I'd feel differently if I was in a different locale but this was a pain in the butt !

15. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stuck motor/piston/relay do to lack of use? A/C inverter power supply over or no current detected? Low refrigerant level cutoff? Or for others oxidized FOB contacts from lack of use?

16. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok just went out stood next to the car and it worked. It figures because I'm taking the car in for its fist service, it probably got nervous.:)

17. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In my case, what you described ended up being a blown sensor in the inverter. Even though it was just a sensor, it required the entire inverter to be RnR'd. Since it happened over the holidays, delivery of a new unit took longer than expected. I was without my car for about two weeks. At least the dealer covered the rental. Never learned what caused it or how to prevent it happening again.

A second fault, a few months later, was said to be due to Scan Gauge being hooked up. That was solved by changing to a read only plug.

vvillovv likes this.
  18. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you do try again set your a/c much higher in 90 degrees full sun.

Test a few times while plugged in at lower outside temps before using the pack to run the a/c.

a/c set at 75 will probably turn the car into an icebox at 90 degrees outside temp for the 10 minutes it runs,, at least that is what it felt like for me.

Sorry to hear about the codes, I know how frustrating they can be to understand and deal with..

rxlawdude: when I us the a/c button the car locks itself, and if I open a door the a/c shuts off and screws with the charge internals if it is charging while a/c runs. Once a/c is set on while charging or plugged in before or after charging, it's probably a good idea to let it run the full 10 minute cycle unless an emergency.
    At least that is what it looks like in my car.
    As always, YMMV

#18 vvillovv, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  19. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ask the shop manager for the techstream data next time. They might not give it to you but at least you can try.

My scangauge is all over the place with it's normal ICE gauges. And so far the only gen 3 gauges I've gotten working are SOC, bcw and bdw ( State Of Charge, battery charge watts and battery discharge watts ).
    I still have a long list of gen 3 gauges to test.

20. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Yeah, I'd be nervous about getting fist service, too. :D

JBumps, mrstop and Tracksyde like this.