1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Chevy Bolt to have 238 Mile Range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Sep 13, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's pretty quick overnight pretty much covers it. pip only puts in about 10 miles in an hour.

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tesla does as well depending on speed and G-force but majority of the time if you see a Tesla with brake lights, its most likely just the driver lifting off although you can get them to coast like the Prius using the energy meter. There is a Low setting on the Regen that I do not believe illuminates the brake lights.

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like it's time to upgrade my EVSE to 32amp level....:)

The Volt has been flawless since 2014, but... on to the Bolt!

FWIW- Here's what the Volt has been doing since March 2014 (when I traded in the PIP):
    [​IMG]

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Bolt is two size classes smaller than a Prius. Well, I'd say more like one and half. A more sloped hatch like the Prius has will give a bigger hole to get things in, but requires more planning to not have the cargo interfere with its closing.

It doesn't have the removable floor to form an under storage area like my Sonic. Wonder if that's how they will ship?

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    From the bolt's webpage:

AVAILABLE HIDDEN STORAGE COMPARTMENT

Provides additional space when you need it while keeping your cargo organized, easily accessible and neatly stowed away

hill likes this.
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The electrons go stale after ~30 days. Use e-Stabil or e-Foam...

prius_noob, Ashlem and bisco like this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anyone seen spec's yet for its battery stat's? (buffer % above & below usable partition) Similarly - its traction pack warranty? How is it going to work - will it be capacity loss percentage over some amount of given years/miles? Haven't yet found anything on that element. Thinking back to the Volt & Leaf racing to market ... hindsight reveals both vehicles might have been made much better - had they simply both taken more time to design & test their product. Certainly Tesla takes a lot of crap for being late to the show with their timely promises to deliver. But you rush things to the show, & manufacturers risk creating their own personal type of Challenger disaster. Just saying, I'd hate to see GM create bad will that might get avoided via more product/marketing testing. Reading in the LA Times, it just corroborated my concern, that the Bolt appears kind of small & looks underwhelming - compared to, & with the model 3 release following close behind. Yes it's pretty remarkable that GM has put this car out at all with its questionable ev history (pulling the EV1 in the face of angry fans - a PR nightmare) & i hope it does well. That said, it's too bad they made it look almost as 'blah' as our Leaf. If anything, the Leaf taught our family to hold off 'buying the very 1st (our VIN is 000659) iteration despite wanting to support EV development. I suppose it's way too late for GM to whip up a new body style. Maybe the style relates to low drag? If cars looking like Porsche & Tesla proved anything, it's that a low CD can look very sleek. We definitely are a visual Society. When it comes to building a great car vs looks - Ford Edsel comes to mind. Better to strike a balance.

#47 hill, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought volt one was problem free?

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Didn't mean to imply that it was horrible but Rev II has a bigger ICE for a good reason. Think Prius' ICE size increase & overall efficiency.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Bolt is using the Trax platform. Any subcompact class car or SUV is going to look small and underwhelming when comparing it to a midsize and larger one. Physical size isn't a viable metric on reliability and performance. Besides, the small SUV/crossover is the growing segment now. The Spark EV got high marks in reviews, and that is where the Bolt is coming from.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    interesting - the differences/Dynamics/(dis)advantages of building a purpose-driven Bev where the car is built around the traction pack vs fitting a traction pack into an existing ice chassis.

12. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will it really? The VW will get a better range than Tesla. Tesla has the supercharger network, it's already attracted the Toyota Prius buyers. There are more economical cars out there than the Prius so there must be something more to it. I'd wager it's the environment and/or the technology. The Chevvy costs more and doesn't look all that appealing,even inside (imo). The Prius is an image which divides people, but most people will tell you that the interior is pretty nice. The only real upside it seems to have is that it has more range.

The Nissan Leaf in 2018 is a potential contender too, but of course this is available to buy sooner.

Also, the Chevvy is no competitor at all for Tesla in Europe, mainly because Chevrolet pulled out entirely

#52 prius_noob, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  13. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well...so long as they don't go mouldy

bisco and Air_Boss like this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Aside from the 'going stale' or 'moldy' kidding - all lithium traction packs have some degree of parasitic loss. It happens mostly at full SOC. But even where there's a low SOC, if the vehicle has some kind of web based interface (& afaik, they all do, just so you can remotely warm or cool the cabin or check your SOC) there'll be a small degree of loss. Nothing to write home about.

prius_noob likes this.
  15. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, hence the use of a stabilizer.

prius_noob likes this.
  16. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In IT, a SOC often means a "Security Operations Centre" :D

17. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In batteries, it's "State of Charge"

prius_noob likes this.
  18. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh didn't know that. I thought that this was another jokey post!

Air_Boss likes this.
  19. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Bolt isn't an ICE converted to a BEV. Modern car platforms have a degree of modularity to them to allow some size changes and to be able to make a sedan, hatchback, and crossover from it. From the few images I've seen, the ICE belly of the platform is replaced with one to hold the battery for the Bolt. Much like what Tesla does, though the pack isn't a flat skateboard.

All batteries self discharge. Some chemistries do so faster than others. They don't even have to have to be installed in something. It's why alkalines got best by dates, and were once stored in the fridge by the frugal.