1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy Volt sighting thread

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by cwerdna, Mar 31, 2011.

1. gmalis1

gmalis1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Saw my first Volt driving northbound on Illinois Route 53 near Palatine, IL. It had Michigan plates on it.

Since I was driving behind and then next to it, I couldn't determine too much, but here are a few things I came away with:

1 Looked hideously ugly from the rear...way worse than a Prius.

2 Wondered aloud that if this was driven from Michigan, what's the point of having a plugin hybrid? After he used up the initial electric miles, then it's just an ordinary hybrid with worse mileage than most hybrids.

3 Wondering where he was going...and to that end, where he was gonna plug it in? Does he need to take the cord stowed with? Can he find a 220 outlet, or will it plug into a 110 outlet?

Until Toyota develops Tesla's battery technology and can get way over 100 miles per charge (and looking more toward 200-300 miles per charge), I can't see the advantage in the Volt over a Prius unless you do very low mileage driving and have the means to charge at home and/or work. That eliminates most of the drivers...and the sticker price adds to my belief that this will be a failed experiment.

2. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Passed one in Southern Orange County yesterday, I thought it looked pretty good, but small, real small, maybe $20,000 small not $40,000 small.;)

3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    GM had to create a hybrid somewhat different than the Prius since they spent precious years saying the Prius did not make sense. Finally, they build a hybrid that costs almost twice the price of the Prius.

People who live in apartments, with no access to a plug, garage or driveway need not apply, they are not potential Volt owners. I don't know if they have a waiting list for the Volt, but it seems that people are not exactly lining up to buy the Volt like Apple products.

4. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    black volt parked on mission st @ hampshire (San Francisco), right next to the place that sells the bacon donuts...

5. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    This morning we saw an 'olt' on the 101 while we were heading out to Chinatown for Dim Sum.

It was dark in color and had started out as a Volt; but although car didn't yet have plates on it, the 'V' had already fallen off the emblem on the back.

This does not bode well for build quality! :eek:

6. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I keep on thinking, wow the first Volt in Montreal !!! Then I see the rear...ah no, just a Cruze.

7. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw my first Volt in the wild this past weekend, cyber gray with Jersey tags. It was in the parking lot at a Tesla event showcasing the Model S prototype in Princeton.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I finally saw one today since my return to California. It was a grey one in south San Jose parked at a nursery in the Blossom Valley area....

9. CandyCanePrincess

CandyCanePrincess New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I saw my first one this week in Southern California. On the 5 fwy merger coming from Pasadena. Grey with license plate 16 KWH. The owner was on his cell phone and I hope he didn't get a ticket :)

10. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I saw two different Volts (a red and a white, perhaps silver, it was twilight) in almost the same location - White Plains NY - I saw the red one last Monday as I was driving from Philly to Cape Cod. Saw the white one on the way back on Friday.

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally saw one on the street today. It was a light blueish looking one. Where? Fords, NJ. :D

12. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ive seen two in all of southern california. drove it, didn't impress me too much.

what impresses me is the price, my goodness. there's NO savings but absolute debt to go from the prius to the volt for my kind of driving. Gm should just get real and let the volt go at a reasonable price.

13. BlizzardJ

BlizzardJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Saw one downtown LA in front of City Hall Saturday 10/29. Black one looking good but I still like lighter colors more since it brings out the contrast in the window trim.

14. sxotty

sxotty Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw one two days ago. I have also driven them and am impressed, but I actually care how a vehicle drives.

15. amsoiltek

amsoiltek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Saw red one in Victorville, Ca looks to driven by someone that in the Army due to license plate frame and base stickers on the windscreen, if he drives from Victorville to Ft. Irwin which is the National Training Center he has at least a 70 mile drive.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had my 3rd CA Volt sighting today. It was the Almaden Valley area of San Jose.

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Had a silver Volt pass me on the Garden State Parkway yesterday. That makes two on the road sightings for me.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw a couple Volts at the SF auto show. I actually care about a car you could possibly fit 4 adults into. Well, the Volt could do that, but most adults in the back should be screaming to get out within 10 minutes.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Saw my 4th Volt sighting yesterday getting on highway 85 from south SJ, heading north. We were together on 85 for many miles.

I'm thinking that the Volt that I've seen every time is the same car. Every time it's been a dark grey one. I recall seeing the license plate frame on a dark grey one that was parked in Almaden Valley. It had some Putnam dealer (GM?) in Burlingame frame.

20. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've seen two both at Maxie Price Chevrolet in Loganville, GA. One of those is for sale for $43,000 and the other is not for sale at this time.