1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chipset for voice-activated nav system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MikeInPoulsbo, Jul 15, 2008.

1. MikeInPoulsbo

MikeInPoulsbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Does this use the SiRFstar II chipset? I have a portable unit (Garmin Nuvi 350) that uses this chipset and it is very sensitive.

2. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I have both the built-in NAV and the Garmin Nuvi. I don't know if they use the same chipsets, but I doubt they use the same software. The Nuvi is less complex and faster to respond. Also, the Nuvi calls out streets, while the Toyota NAV only calls out major highways/Interstates.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I doubt that the Prius uses a SiRF chipset. But whatever they do use is quite up to the job. I've used pre-SiRF and SiRF Garmin units, and the SiRF is really amazing. Where the pre-SiRF unit was totally lost (under trees, urban canyon, etc.), the SiRF units pick up a signal out of nowhere.

The advantage of the factory Denso unit is that it has dead reckoning for use where a satellite signal is not available. The GPS unit receives the speedometer signal, and also has a gyroscope to detect direction of travel. So it can successfully navigate inside covered parking lots, tunnels, and other situations where there's just no GPS signal. I do remember it getting confused with a ferry ride.

So if your question is really a comparison of Nuvi versus factory, I went with the factory option. I got a 7" screen built into the dash, and integration with the rest of the instruments. I also get the privilege of paying about $250 to upgrade the maps (available about once a year).

The Nuvi is clearly an add-on accessory, in demand with the criminal crowd. You really need to keep it out of sight when you leave the car. I've heard many good things about the interface, and the maps are a lot cheaper to keep up to date. You can probably buy 2-3 Nuvi for the Toyota cost of Nav.

Oh, and the Nuvi doesn't turn off the user interface just because you're moving. That's a real PIA with the built in Nav.

Don't worry about the sensitivity of the Denso vs. the SiRF chips. They're both good enough. These other issues are the biggies, and you'll just have to decide which are the most important for you. I'll take the factory installed 7" Nuvi... but there isn't one...

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    it's called the SiRFstar III, heh

5. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The SiRF is a lot more sensitive. Another factor is the satellites. The newer GPS satellites put out a lot more power, which makes any GPS receiver work better.

Tom

7. MikeInPoulsbo

MikeInPoulsbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    UR right. My fingers stuttered.

Thanks to all for the inputs. Is there a hack for the 2008 version of the NAV to get around the lockout thing?

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. It involves cutting wires or a third-party module that electronically cuts the speed signal.

Tom