1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Choosing the right gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Janis, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Janis

Janis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This year my snowblower required expensive service and I was told it was because I used the standard in Michigan ethanol added fuel. So I switched to ethanol free gas for the snowblower. Then I wondered would it be okay to use the same fuel in my 05 Prius?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use ethanol free gas, and it does give a slight boost in mpg in the Prius. You didn't say what it was that was fixed on your engine. Perhaps something to do with rubber parts decomposing? Or more about cold temps? I drain all my small power tools empty every time I use them to avoid that. There seems to be no generic problem with ethanol gas in the Prius, however, as many use it over 100,000's of miles.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes you can use ethanol free fuel in the Prius, and you will get more mpg. The downside is that the ethanol free fuel is more expensive so the gain cost wise can cancel out. No harm will come to the car with either fuel.

John (Britprius)

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As mentioned above, Prius is designed to work with E10 no problems. Small engines can have issue as you have seen. Due to EPA regs, many of us have no local access to E0 so we must use E10 at all times. If you have access to E0, you can decide if the extra MPG (~3%) is worth the extra cost.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    87 Octane (85 in the mountains) E10 or less Gasoline.

I choose to buy gas at very popular stations when they themselves are not refueling, as I want fresh, clean gas.

6. Janis

Janis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks everyone for the input. Fueling up my gas can and car at the same time, same pump would be a matter of convenience. Surprisingly at the one local station selling non ethanol, the price is 3 cents cheaper. Not much but I'll take it.