1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning engine bay

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tonyzenmaster, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Tonyzenmaster

Tonyzenmaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hi everyone, wanted to ask you guys if anybody here cleans their prius c engine bay to keep it looking new? If you do, what do you use? Greatly appreciated

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My dealer used Gunk engine cleaner when they replaced my intake manifold. It cleaned the compartment but seems to tarnish some of the metal parts on the inverter, etc. Didn't seem to have any ill-effects to date. Not sure I would do it myself though.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have found the prius to have an exceptionally clean engine bay after years of service without doing anything.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even with 120,000 miles the engine bay on my car is really clean... Just a little wipe down after a car wash keeps it sparkling. Also when I do routine maintenance I use a little non-toxic green cleaner on some of the nooks and crannies.

Gone are the days of dirty greasy engine bays that require regular degreaser power wash sessions, which is great because electronics under the hood of cars these days probably can't handle that.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably are going to get a lot of advice about products you can use.
    I think the best answer, is if you are starting with a clean engine bay? Maintain it. It's easy to occasionally open the hood and wipe off surfaces, using simple water...

You can also use this time to do the simple Oil Level Check...and the usual visual inspection of fluid levels and the entire engine bay.

If maintaining is already NOT an option...because it's already too dirty...then my advice is be as careful as possible.

I try to maintain...but occasionally I will very carefully use simple soap and water and very, very lightly spray down the engine area and some components.

I live near one of those "drive in" coin operated car wash set ups. I've seen people go Banzai with their engine bay. I've seen those same people...stranded after high pressure washing their engine bay, and then discovering they have flooded something and/or knocked loose some wires they shouldn't of knocked loose. I have lost count of the number of times people are stranded in the wash bay, with the hood up, swearing because suddenly after being assualted with a high pressure washer, their vehicle isn't starting.

So my #1 recommendation is simple wipe down maintenance. My #2 recommendation is if further cleaning is necessary? Be very, very careful and conservative.

I think there are some tutorials on Youtube concerning cleaning an engine bay. But I would warn, most of them are not Hybrid specific, and a lot of them are really not good advice. Just because somebody can video themselves cleaning their engine bay with a Mop, and download it to Youtube doesn't mean it's a good idea. So use common sense.

Once you get it clean? Then simply keep it clean....a few minutes a month is really all it takes.

Abb_J likes this.
  6. KaliforniaKid

KaliforniaKid 2013 Prius v Five 2012 Priuc c Four

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Leaf blower for the the leaves on cowl and road soot on the engine tops.
    Give the inside fender folds, top of the radiator support and the bare undersides of the hood a wipe during a carwash.

Abb_J likes this.