1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning Factory Carpet Mats? Cleaning interior?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by whitespider, Jul 7, 2007.

1. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello. I've had my prius 2 weeks now, almost to the hour, and i'm setting up to clean out my factory carpet mats, since htye have a little dirt and particles of grass and such over them (especially the driver's side. I remember reading somewhere that you can just machine wash them, is this true? I'm going to vaccum them inside the house and am considering some low water soap over them, or picking up (i'm a new driver and not a home owner so I don't know where to find this stuff) some carpet shampoo, I guess, instead.

Anyways, what do you all recommend for cleaning these out?

And while on that, what do you all recommend for cleaning out the carpet in the car in general? Gas stations around here have like a coin opperated vaccum thing that I geuss I could use, but how about the dirt spots from mud and such? I would think expensive steaming is much.. what do you all do? What do you recommend? The carpet around my gas pedal looks a liiiittle dirty and i'd like to take care of it now while I just got the car instead of just letting it be till it looks real nasty... better to learn early. Haha.

So, what do you all suggest?

And thank you, Priuschat. I have been a part of this community for a few months now and the help I have gotten here is better than I have for any fourm for any otehr product I have bought or hobby I have had. Best.Fourm.Ever.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, since every body is chiming in...

I really like the 303 Products. The fabric cleaner and guard work well, though I like the Cleaner and Spot Remover for Carpet/Upholstery better for foot dirt near the pedals and on the mats.

The Aerospace Protectant works great on all plastic, both interior and the black plastic skirts. It's also good for wiping down the engine compartment. It is anti-static so dust doesn't cling as much.

It's good to vacuum the upholstery at least once a month, or more if you are in a dusty area. Vacuum your carpets once a week if you can and clean any grease immediately with spot cleaner. The combination of dirt and mechanical wear (your heal grinding the same spot by the gas pedal) make carpet mats a consumable item; plan on replacing them after a few years.

There are lots of threads here on cleaning the MFD and glass. A microfiber cleaning cloth is essential.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I just cleaned my removable mats. Take them out and beat them to get the sand etc. out of the carpet. Then take some laundry detergent (I like the liquid type for this), dilute it, and pour that on the mats when they are flat. Scrub with a stiff bristle brush. Hang vertical, and rinse thoroughly, using a garden hose. When you get no more soap coming out, use the brush to "comb" the carpet in one direction. Let drip dry in the sun. End up like new.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just vacuum them since I have the Toyota all-weather mats over them.

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have cleaned my mats in the washing machine and with soap and a garden hose method just described. Both work well. The garden hose method may be easier on the carpet mats and washer. Both methods are likely hard on the mats, but like Bill said, they are a consumable item. My fron mat has an ugly spot where my heal sits below the electricity and gas pedal that developed at about 3 months.

Spray can rug shampoo does practically nothing.

6. bbruere

bbruere New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have always used Tuff Stuff for carpets and anywhere else in the car in my annual spring cleanup. Spray on, wipe off on seats & walls. Can use a scrub brush on the carpet. Even if you aren't a home owner, a small 1-2 gal. wet vac is wonderful for cleaning car carpets (as well as other small household messes). If the removable carpet is REALLY bad, I soap 'em down (Simple Green or Purple Power) and use a power washer to rinse. Although, I highly recommend all-weather mats. My 5-yr. old Tribute's carpets (traded for the Prius) looked brand new. So I took the floor & cargo mats from the Tribute and put them in the Prius. Not a perfect fit, but pretty close.

7. yonamac

yonamac New Member

Vehicle:
    1999 Prius
    Model:
    I
    wet and dry cleaning of carpet can do it!!!

8. railee

railee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five

which one does better?

9. railee

railee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How can I remove the smell of the urine of a dog? it is so stinky and I do not know what to do.. Any suggestions?