1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clerk threatened to kill me at local Tread Quarters Discount Tire Store...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mike500, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I won't mention the location, but here is the body of the letter that I'm sending to their corporate headquarters.

At approximately 4:10 PM, on September 9, 2014, I visited the store to inquire about warranty issues on a set of tires that I purchased on April 27, 2010, at your store #710 at Portsmouth, VA.

I have rotated the tires, myself, since the closest service location was over 25 miles away at Spartanburg, SC.

This is the first time that I have visited one of your stores since purchasing the tires.

My inquiry was about balancing and the replacement of two valve stems on two of my utility trailer tires.

Unfortunately, what I thought was good fortune turned out to be an ordeal and a nightmare.

A
    fter showing the clerk, who later identified himself only as Robert, I steadily became disappointed with his demeanor and negative attitude towards customer service.

He said that he did NOT do trailer tires. I insisted that I only needed valve stems. He reluctantly said that he would do them and it would take about 1-1/2 hours. He told me to drive around and to put the wheels at the front of the door. T told them I would just take them there. When I took the wheels to the door, he was nowhere to be found. Searching the bays of the service bays of the store, I finally found him. He pointed to and told me where to put them, which I did. When I looked up, he and disappeared, again. With further searching, I found him, again. I told him that I had a tire repair coupon. He said that it did not apply. I asked him how much it would cost. He said in an apparently disdainful voice manner, $4 each. I said that was fine, and asked him for a receipt. Apparently annoyed, he said that you will get a receipt when you picked them up. So, I left.

Upon returning home, I started thinking how arrogant his attitude towards customer service was.
    I went back and picked up my trailer wheels. No one stopped me or said a word, when I placed them in the back of my SUV.

I went to the office to find the Robert, again. I told him that I changed my mind on account of his poor attitude. I also told him that the local tire dealer replaced a trailer tire valve for free a few years back. He snapped in response, “We don’t do anything for free.”

I asked him what his name was, since I could not see a name tag on this shirt and there were no business cars displayed at the service desk. After the third request, he begrudgingly stated, “Robert.” Three times, I asked him Robert what?” Each time, he stated “Robert,” and failed to give me his last name. He finally stick out the right hand and pointed his index finger at me and told me to get out of his store.
    I reached for in a gesture to grab his finger. He responded with “Touch me, and I will KILL you!

As he lunged across I counter, I backed off and left in fear of my life and limb.

Robert or whatever his name is can be described as a Caucasian male in his early and mid thirties with a long narrow blackish brown goatee. On one forearm he sported a large elongated tattoo.

I took my tires across the street to Discount Tire. The clerk was clean cut and well mannered with his nametag clearly displayed. He took the wheels and replaced the valve stems for free.

I did not expect your store to replace the valve stems for free, but I did NOT expect to be threatened to be killed for just coming into you store.

Not that it mattered, buy I am a retired agent with the US Department of Justice, and did not expect such ill treatment at a business I I have purchased from since 1973.

I am writing this letter with no expectation of compensation or remuneration.

Since retiring from Federal Law Enforcement in 2000, I have been in private business. My expectation is that you will take this notice under advisement not to punish Robert, but to retrain him in the art of good customer service.

For me, as far as I am concerned, I will take my business elsewhere.

Sincerely,

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately this was not Nordstrom where they get trained properly and earn a decent wage. What you experienced is quite normal for the industry that gets paid near minimum wage to do a job, except for the I'll kill you part. It's sad

Mike500 likes this.
  3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it was sad. I live in a "stand your ground" state, and "I had no duty to retreat."

Yet, I did. Even his lowly life was NOT worth taking.

He had no idea how lucky he was.

#3 Mike500, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  4. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear your time was uncomfortable in a store that you were expecting good service from... myself, I do not expect good service from anywhere.

Like you, I demand it to get any of my coins.

Mike500 likes this.
  5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd never give my last name to a customer. I'd give them my badge number or car plate number but wouldn't give my last name. Last thing you want is working in a crap job and then having a customer contacting you on Facebook. It's bad enough when a customer confronts you in the local supermarket.

He did sound a bit of a hot head though, but again, if someone tried to grab me in the taxi I'd have been impolite. I wouldn't threaten to kill anyone though and would give a warning.

I think you just report it to his manager, tell everyone locally about it and just avoid them in future. Eventually their poor customer service will catch up. You sure you don't want to name and shame them?

6. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    According to most state laws, a clerk does not have to give his or her last name (due to incidents of customers stalking employees to homes). While the clerk was clearly a poor customer service person, you were in the wrong to demand a last name. I never gave a last name when I was in a store.

You were also wrong to grab his hand. That is physical assault & the clerk could have called the cops and filed charges.

Again: The clerk had a poor attitude, but you also committed some wrongs too. Demanding a last name was a bit rude (and he's not required to give it no matter how many times you yell at him)..... grabbing the finger was assault.

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Didn't touch him. What state do you live in? You make a lot of invalid assumptions. I didn't yell at him. I was letting him wallow in his own anger.

I worked in positions of authority for over thirty years and thousands of confrontations of this type, as a bearer of bad news that the individual NEVER wanted to hear. He made a rookie mistake. He took it as a personal affront and lost his cool.

I have the right t ask for anything. It's the First Amendment.

He assaulted me. He jumped over the counter and started to swing his fist, when I retreated back out of his reach.

He was stupid and very very foolish.

This is a classic situation in a workplace, in a bar, or in school or any institution, where an "unhinged" individual might come back with a gun to settle a grudge. It happens every day in this country.

I doubt if it is his first or last confrontation of this type based on his personality and demeanor.

Unfortunately, he might probably get one of those crazies in the future.

#7 Mike500, Sep 10, 2014
  8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you got some redneck customer service right there!
    Robert was probably having a bad day (maybe his wife hit him back this morning on his out the trailer).
    Were you pulling the trailer w/the the Prius? That will elicit redneck rage every time.

Writing the letter was the best thing to do, as posted above "Eventually their poor customer service will catch up"....

9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No Rob,

Because I was driving my old but reliable 1998 Mazda MPV, he assumed that I was a downtrodden destitute individual.

I, unfortunately, have a long time friend, who got 26 years for pleading guilty to First Degree Murder.

He had a workplace accident that broke his back and put him on pain killer to treat his excruciating pain.

One day, to settle an argument similar to the situation I had, while of pain killers, he went out and shot a man dead.

10. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    When the guy said, "I will not give my last name," why did you start demanding it (repeatedly in a nagging fashion)?
    He is not obligated to give it to you, so why did you start harassing the guy?
    Why start an argument???
    That was a poor decision.
    A wiser decision would have been to simply walk away & file your letter of complaint. You didn't need to know the clerk's last name, or need to start a vicious debate with him. (HINT: The same is true of most fights..... they can be avoided if you just walk away.)

In fact you LEFT the scene, went somewhere else for about an hour, and then returned to the scene with the explicit Intent to cause a debate/argument with the clerk. You instigated the situation. There would have not been a scene if you had stayed out of the store (just like last night I witnessed some drug-dealers downtown, so I did not return to that scene).

#10 Troy Heagy, Sep 10, 2014
  11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thing- if you were driving the Prius... he might have been even more hostile!
    Nothing threatens redneck lifestyle like a hybrid...

#11 ny_rob, Sep 10, 2014
  12. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You choice and judgment; NOT MINE.

After realizing how disrespectful he was in my first encounter with him, I decided that he did not deserve my business. So, I went back to retrieve my trailer wheels to take my business elsewhere. He instructed me to come back. Would you have abandoned your trailer wheels there and purchased new ones elsewhere?

After years of being on the receiving end, I decided to have some role reversal with this dunce.

And, I enjoyed it.

I am pretty sure that there are those individuals, who would have picked up and paid for the repairs without saying anything.

That would tell him that his poor treatment of customers was acceptable.

#12 Mike500, Sep 10, 2014
  13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, I find this new and upcoming generation and their choice to use violence in school and workplace shootings very alarming.

These individuals have been taught that they NEVER failed, are totally exceptional, and "got a trophy for just showing up."

The have "helicopter parents" who cater to, watch and make every decision for them, while giving in to purchasing all of their wants beyond their needs.

When their parents are no longer there or when they do fail, they have no way but violence to handle it.

If they only killed themselves, it's unfortunate. Much worse, they take other unfortunate inncents with them.

#13 Mike500, Sep 10, 2014
  14. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry folks, but this is why so called "stand your ground" laws are so terrible. The clerk did nnothing material to threaten this guy, and yet he almost seems to relish the idea of blowing this guy away, and thinks he would BR justified!

More guns anyone?

Icarus

15. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is the first time that I've heard that threatening to kill someone is not material.

I've have plenty of opportunity to kill someone for just cause in law enforcement. However, I chose NOT to.

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The clerk's racial background is mentioned in his description, but you don't mention anywhere in your letter that the root of his poor, disdainful attitude towards you could have been racial discrimination.

17. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^ No, I'm just saying I think you may be a poor judge of when deadly force is appropriate, and indeed is indicative of why "stand your ground" and unlimited access to fire arms in anybody's hands is, IMHO, a bad idea.

If you, as a"trained law enforcement professional" are this close to blowing someone away, for some percieved over the counter threat, I can only imagine how some untrained nutbar with a handgun would do. Somehow, the idea of some sales clerk when he seems hassled (rightly or wrongly) by some seemingly irate customer is not a case of a use of deadly force. He points his finger, telling got leave his place of business, and you, instead of doing the right thing and leaving, and calling the police if you need to retrieve your goods, you reach out attempting to grab his finger, and him reacting by saying "he would kill you if you touched him". From the facts presented me thinks you would be in the wrong if this situation had escalated. My hope most law enforcement officers have better judgement than you exercised in this case.

See also George Zimmerman

Icarus

18. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Good point Icarus. If a man tells you to leave his store, you leave. It's a public facility but still private land. "Stand your ground" laws don't apply to trespassers.

I find most cops are trained to instigate an argument & then use said argument (which they started) to justify a false arrest. Not all cops... but enough to be worthy of note. There are 3 Supreme Court cases dating back to the 60s and 70s wherein the justices conclude death threats are protected speech. For example a man said (as he burned his Vietnam draft card) that he would kill the president if he was forced to go kill innocents. The justices left him off.

The only time a death threat is not protected is if the speaker is holding a gun or knife at the time (imminent danger). They have also concluded you don't have to answer any cop's questions (active or retired).

#18 Troy Heagy, Sep 10, 2014
  19. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rude person's Welcome to the real world that most of us live in- daily. You having served in authority for so long you have grown accustomed to what that authority demands. Now retired, you still believe it is demanded. Surprise,, its not, as your just another customer, a civilian, one of US. My Father and Brother were both Proud California Highway Patrolmen, one, a Captain, the other a Sargent. Both still have hard times dealing with retirement, as, they no longer have the badge, the authority. The Black- & - White world they lived in for years, is now fully slurred into a gray mess, with no authority for them to try and fix it. My best suggestion is take a deep breath, and find something of value to do to get rid of the anger, or you will end up with health issues. IMHO, you can not fix an America that has to legislate morals and values, instead of parents teaching them, and following them. You simply can not write the laws fast enough, and our Prisons and Jails are fuller than any industrialized nation in the world! No, until this nation gets back to is roots, if it ever does, it will just get worse. So better to learn how to deal with it, before the next time, when it deals with YOU! Matthew 24 & 25 are good reading!(y)

usnavystgc likes this.
  20. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would have left after he said, "We don't do trailer tires."

I'll give someone one chance to earn my business, and don't need to argue with them if uninterested in earning my money.

Once I find a the right place though, they'll have my business as long as they continue their good service.

The Electric Me likes this.