1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking Noise From Brakes - Chirping Noise When I Press Hard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Austin Middleton, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Austin Middleton

Austin Middleton New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a pretty loud continuous clicking noise lasting about 30 seconds (not necessarily a bad one - just annoying) that comes on every thirty seconds to a minute when I'm driving my Prius. It happens more often now than it did 10,000 miles ago.

It also happens without fail for a few seconds every time I brake. Is this a normal noise? I fear it may be associated with the brake actuator--which the chirping noise is associated with.

If I press firmly on the brakes (which is rare), they chirp. Toyota released a bulletin on it.
    TSB BR001-07

I'm really tight on cash and it would be horrifying if I had to spend 2700 on a brake actuator. Will it fail eventually? I know the chirping noise has been brought up before, but because of the clicking noise I also have, I'm posting again. Any ideas what this might be--or what might fix it? Is it worth spending $100 on a brake flush? Would it cause more damage if I didn't flush it? Why would it have air bubbles in the system anyway? Thoughts? :)

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My chirp was eliminated by bleeding the right front brake by the dealer a long time ago and it never returned.

You don't have to flush the brake fluid, but there is a chance that the actuator has a problem (letting in some air). Air could also come in at any coupling in the hydraulic system, but I would think that there would be signs of brake fluid leakage if that were the case.

JeffD

3. Austin Middleton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I'll just bleed them and hope it fixes the issue. What about the clicking noise? Anyone have insight on that?

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Just realize that bleeding Prius brakes is a bit different than bleeding brakes in a "normal" car. It usually requires being able to input OBDII commands to control hydraulic valves.

JeffD

5. Austin Middleton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would it work to just use my personal OBD II units to reset the codes on every flush? Or do I need to have toyota use their techstream to do it?
    I'm afraid an OBD II may not open all the valves and make the problem worse.

6. Austin Middleton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That isn't, however, going to fix the clicking noise. Do you have the same clicking noise from your prius? Or is that not normal? It's pretty loud and I can hear it unless I'm going at highway speeds.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There are instruction for a DIY brake bleed on PC. Do a search, but I have never done one myself.

JeffD

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I don't have a "Clicking" noise so can't help you there.

JeffD