1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking noise when pressing on brakes (sound file attached)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by scotty321, Apr 21, 2010.

1. scotty321

scotty321 Apple Mac Expert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi gang,

A few hours ago, I ran over some gigantic piece of wrought iron metal that was laying in the middle of the road... it made a thunderous *BANG* noise underneath my car as I ran over it. :eek: I'm not sure if it caused any damage... I'm going to take it into the shop tomorrow and have them take a look at it.

Of course, in the meantime, now I'm hearing strange noises from my Prius that I wasn't hearing just a few hours ago! :rolleyes:

The one that is really puzzling to me is that as soon as I tap on the brake just a little bit (whether I'm driving or just sitting in PARK), I hear a loud "click" noise that seems to come from the brake pedal area. It's possible that this noise has been there all along, but of course I just started hearing it tonight after this "incident" with the piece of metal.

I've attached a sound file in .m4a format... does this noise sound normal to you guys? It happens 100% of the time when I press on the brakes.

(I'm sure you'll be able to tell by listening to the sound file, but I press on the brake pedal at the following times in the sound file: 0 seconds, 2 seconds, 5 seconds, 7 seconds, and 10 seconds.)

Thanks,
    Scott

Attached Files:

2. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    If you are concerning about the safety issue, take it to the mechanic. I don't think anyone here can tell you whether the sound is normal or not by just listening to your file. It's also a moral liability if someone here tells you it is normal and then your brake fails the next day. Check it out when in doubt.

1 person likes this.
  3. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Let us know what you find out.

4. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That noise is normal. I hear it on my 2010 anyways.. If your worried still get it checked out, but my brakes do also make that noise. It is normal in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  5. scotty321

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks so much, everybody, for your feedback. :)

Glad to hear that LulzChicken hears the same noise on his Prius.

Just to make sure i didn't damage the underside of my car, I'm going to take it on Monday... just made an appointment with my dealer.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Thanks again!
    Scott

6. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let me know what they say Scotty. I'm interested as well. I love the panels on the underside of the Prius. They protect the car in the event that you do happen to run anything over. Good luck!

7. theloop82

theloop82 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Im pretty sure I hear it on mine as well. Its gotta have some sort of microswitch down there to turn on the brake lights or turn off the Cruise or something...

8. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What a coinkydink, I also ran over some unknown piece of debris tonight...no odd-sounding brake sounds that I've noticed as yet fortunately.

9. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your mic was close to pedal area [​IMG]. It is pretty standard, my Prius does the same. I think it is a relay switching the brake tail lights. You can prove it in your garage with the rear side facing the wall - the click and light comes together.

1 person likes this.
  10. scotty321

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks so much, this is great info -- I'm going to try this myself. :)

11. chota

chota Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I started hearing the same noise just today. My wife was driving and she braked hard because of the car in front of her, and this noise started. I had never heard it before. Mine is not related to the relay switch that sound is much less. I'm going to take it in to the dealer to see what it is, since it's new. Any ideas? Mine I can feel the vibration beneath the car when the sound comes?