1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking or ticking while slow braking and turning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mobil13, May 8, 2006.

1. mobil13

mobil13 New Member

I have a 2004 Prius with 55K miles that I've put on since I purchased new in December 2003. Over the last month or so, the front brakes exhibit a "fast clicking" noise when I'm going 15 MPH or slower while braking AND turning.

If I don't turn the steering wheel, the vehicle is fine (and no noise occurs). However, when I turn the wheel while slowing to a stop under 15 MPH, the "fast clicking" or ticking occurs (the click frequency will slow down as the speed rotation of the wheel slows). It sounds almost like part of the ABS unit is clicking.

I've checked the brake pads (all fine) and the brake rotor dust shields (they are not touching the brake rotors). Has anyone else experienced this? And anyone know of the solution to fix it?

While it doesn't sound like somethings actually getting damaged, I am worried as it was not exhibiting this trait over the 2+ years that I've had the car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks!

steveinsaugus likes this.
  2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    could be a CV joint... (or really unlikely, a wheel bearing) when you take it in to the shop you need to duplicate the noise, but if it's doing it all the time it shouldn't be a problem. make sure the tech hears it.

good luck, man- sorry this had to be your first post in over 2 years of membership :(

3. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mobil13 @ May 8 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]251836[/snapback]</div>

Did you check the tire tread for anything?..
    Had a screw in mine that sounded the same as you are descibing..

Scott

4. jsorger

jsorger New Member

Ever figure this out? I just noticed a similar noise (5 years old, 115k miles).
    No visible nail or bolt in tire...

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As Galaxee mentioned above, a bad CV joint in an axleshaft is the most likely reason for a clicking sound, especially when you are turning the vehicle. If the noise is consistent then it should be easy for your tech to diagnose and repair.

6. jsorger

jsorger New Member

Thanks, Patrick and Galaxee... Took it to the Toyota dealer (Magnusson's in Palo Alto,CA) today to have the tires rotated and asked the guy to inspect the CV boots, describing the problem. All 4 looked fine and there is no 'obvious' bearing problem. I don't know how one could tell a bearing problem by simply looking...

I was hoping that the tire rotation would resolve something. Noise is still there, though, and more reproducible. Drove it around alot tonight and it's not necessarily linked to braking. I have to be going slow (<15mph) and turning, only to the right and up or down a steep-ish hill (I live in the hills).

The service guy said that a Prius tech has to do a formal diagnosis, which costs $70.

May have to bite the bullet on this one. But $70 sounds steep to tell me that I have a $300 problem...

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The CV rubber boots may be fine, but the joints within may be worn out and causing the click noise. If you can jack up the front of the car, one corner at a time, then you can rotate one tire back and forth while the other tire is resting on the ground, and see if you can tell where the play and noise is coming from.

Usually the $70 will be applied to the cost of the repair if you agree to have the repair performed. My guess is that the repair cost will be more like $600 to have one axleshaft replaced.

8. jsorger

jsorger New Member

Thanks again, Patrick.

Yeah, one of the axles is shot. After 115k miles with no problems on the car, a CV joint failure is OK I guess. I have heard of them lasting 80k-150k on many other newer vehicles.

Dealer wanted $800 for something like this- it's going elsewhere (for $300).

9. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It could be a lot of possible things that is bad. The best way is to take a look underneathe and/or hold your front tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock and try to wiggle it...9 and 3 o'clock and try to move it...if there is some play....could be tie rod. CV boot can be easy to see...balljoint joint perhaps? It could be as minor as a rubbing issue...rubber panels loose?

If you are not comfortable going under your jacked up car, I recommend taking it to a professional mechanic. Good Luck.

10. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    just replaced cv joint on right side of my camry, same noise, $180 complete job at tires+

11. geezer07

geezer07 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    jsorger--did you have to replace the axle? My 2007 Prius is making a similar sound--like a "card in the spoke" sound then I turn right and I am slowing down. I have can't spot any play in the bearings (usually a sign of going bad) and my brake rotars aren't warped. My CV boots are fine. Any way to check to see if the CV joint is going bad. The sound is very faint right now, the radio easily hides it.
    Thanks.

12. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    See also: this thread

I have the same clicking while turning at slow speed. My local dealership said it was coming from within the dash. HA!

steveinsaugus and saechaka like this.
  13. vnguyen

vnguyen New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

14. vnguyen

vnguyen New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey I have the same problem with my 2011 Prius. Have u found out the problem yet?

15. Henrik Carlsson

Henrik Carlsson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My guess is that it's the ABS rotordisc. I have the same problem with my car and my girlfriend has the exact same problem with hers.(she's got a 2004 gen 2, same as mine)

I'm planning to take the whole thing apart.