1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Clicking sound is made when brake pedal is depressed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chad Pettingill, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Chad Pettingill

Chad Pettingill New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I have another small issue with my 2004 Prius. I just noticed yesterday that the second I very lightly depress the brake pedal, a little clicking sound is made down below. It sounds like it might be coming from the brake pedal itself or somewhere underneath the hood. It's only when I depress the pedal slightly and it makes pretty much the same sound when I release the pedal. Does anyone else have the same problem? Does anyone know if it's a bad problem? I just had a 5000 mile service done to the car and there were no issues then. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thank you!

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you mean just one single click sound? It's not the normal actuator pump that runs when you press the brake?

3. Chad Pettingill

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just one click when it's depressed and another click when it's released.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, does it happen when the car is off, or only in Ready mode?

If you can get an assistant to help, maybe you can localise the sound better, to the actuator, or the relay box, or the pedal itself. However, without codes being produced, and no driving issues, it may not be something to worry about.

5. Chad Pettingill

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only time I really notice it is when I'm pulling into my driveway at the end of a drive. I also have noticed that it happens right after I start the car too. So I guess it would be when the car is in ready mode. I will test it today to see if it happens when the car is turned off.

If I could look localize the sound, it sounds like it is coming from somewhere at the pedal level but more like in the middle of the car. Where exactly are the actuator in the relay box located? Thanks!

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The relays are located in the black plastic boxes under the hood. The brake actuator is buried behind the inverter, under the wipers. Hard to see. One way to localize sound is to use a piece tubing, like garden hose, a few feet long, as a stethoscope. Hold one end to your ear, and move the other end around to find the source. You will need a helper for that. Maybe not easy with a single shot noise, but worth a try.

7. Chad Pettingill

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What would cause the brake actuator or relays to click?

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure your not hearing the brake light switch which is off the pedal stem. Does it coincide with the brake lights which you can see in the rear view mirror at night.

9. Chad Pettingill

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it does! Is it normal?

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes thats normal. There's a mechanical switch that is switched on when you move the brake pedal. Clicks on which turns on the brake lights. There's also another switch rightt next to it thats used for pedal positioning for car start. Have to press brake to start car right? So everytime you push the brake your hearing 2 switches activate.

2004priusgal likes this.
  11. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe that switch is extra noisy. I don't hear anything when I press the brake pedal, other than the actuator pump.

12. Chad Pettingill

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The switch must be extra noisy because I do not remember hearing it when I first bought the car. I hope it doesn't become a bigger problem or something of the like. Thank you for your help, everyone!

13. Tom Prodo

Tom Prodo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I know this is an old thread. But I have this exact same problem in a 2013 Prius V with only 2,000 miles on it. It's annoying.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your in the wrong forum.

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car is under warranty. What prevents you from logging a complaint with your dealer's service writer?