1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CNBC: Dreamliner: Inside the World’s Most Anticipated Airplane

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Sep 27, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    More info below. It premiered today on 9/27. It's being rerun a few more times tonight and in the next next two weeks. I figure some people here might be interested.

News Headlines
    News Headlines

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd really like to see this tech on most vehicles...basically finding materials 30% lighter just as strong and better aerodynamics. It's a lot of why my 2000 Honda Insight is so fuel-efficient. Just doing this alone would improve fuel economy as much as dropping a hybrid engine into a conventional car without introducing parts that can break down. :) I still advocate hybrids on top of this.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish Boeing had gone with the shark fin vertical stabilizer, but the technology of the 787 is very interesting nonetheless.

Unfortunately, they're so far in the hole with these aircraft there's no way they'll be able to make a profit on them for a decade or more.

Missing the Sonic Cruiser, too.

I like the early ads. Hey—and there's the shark fin!

_________

Here's another world's most anticipated airliner, also by Boeing (with livery by Raymond Loewy).

Attached Files:

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The wings seem to bend a whole lot more. I'll let you all go first. I don't mind it's just the kind of guy I am. :rolleyes:

p.s. "uncommanded loss of thrust?" :pound: come on PG you're not going to let a straight line like that go unanswered, eh?

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wing flex has nothing to do with strength or longetivity. If you want to see wing flex, a C5 Galaxy has them all beat. Matter of fact, the C5 needs computer controlled wing "flap" reduction in flight by means of ailerions

All modern twin engine aircraft have to meet ETOPS or Extended Operations, sometimes Extended Twin Engine Operations.

The Boeing 767-300ER pioneered ETOPS. A combination of modern highly reliable high bypass turbofans, efficient aerodynamics, and proper crew training, all contribute to routine and safe twin engine flights across the Atlantic and Pacific

Sometimes, when the crew does something wrong, a tragedy can result or almost result. The two best examples are the Gimli Glider, when an Air Canada 767 ran out of fuel over Red Lake, Ontario and made an emergency, engines out landing on the abandoned Gimli, MB airfield

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider]Gimli Glider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

An important point to consider with math errors is conversion between units. Canada has always used IMPERIAL gallons, but the US uses US Gallons.

There are 4.54 litres per Imperial gallon, but 3.78 litres per US Gallon. Start making errors with calculations, it can cost a lot of lives

Another famous twin engine glider was the Azores Glider, an Air Transat Airbus A330

The Air Transat Flame-out (with Photos)

In the Azores landing, improper maintenance procedures and improper crew procedures - specifically using crossfeed - resulted in the near death experience.

If the crew had NOT selected crossfeed, the improperly installed engine would have flamed out much sooner, but the remaining engine would have kept running to an approved ETOPS landing field

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had the 'pleasure' of riding on some C5's.
    You would NOT believe how fast one of those things can rotate off of a runway if they think they have to, especially given how big they are!!!
    Wing flex doesn't bother me much, as long as the tips don't touch each other, but I'm one of those old farts that still have a little residual doubts about a twin-engine, transcontinental aircraft.

I know...I know.... they're safer and all (if they don't run the darned things out of fuel :rolleyes: ) but....like I said, I grew up on four.

Nice bird.
    Hope it manages to be profitable some day. :)