1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold weather related? Car won't start unless we try to start about 5-10 times

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JasonInNJ, Nov 18, 2006.

1. JasonInNJ

JasonInNJ New Member

Hi All:
    We have a 2006 Prius and generally love the car, but it appears that we are having a problem starting it on cold days -- even yesterday and it didn't even seem that cold yesterday.

Are there any known issues or is this something that need to be repaired? Thanks

Jason & Kim in NJ

2. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm also in New Jersey. I've had no problem starting my 2006 Prius, even when it's been in the 20's in the morning, and I don't have a garage. I'd suggest a trip to the dealer.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    what happens when you try and it won't start? any lights on the dash? beeps?

if you have smartkey, have you tried putting the key in the dash slot?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There shouldn't be any issues starting in cold weather. As Gal suggests check your fob battery, it could be the 12v battery, or something totally different. I suspect it's not a cold weather issue if it did the same when it wasn't very cold.

Some indication of what is actually happening always helps....are you sure you're pressing the brake pedal all the way down? There's a sensor attached to the brake pedal that can go bad and cause startig problems...it could be cold weather sensitive. But without some idea what exactly happens when you try to start it's very hard to diagnose.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Now on my 7th winter (yes, SEVENTH) with a Prius, I can assure you it is most definitely not the cold alone. In fact, that is probably just coincidental timing.

Evan's guess of the brake pedal is likely. The mistake of not pressing hard enough would reset after enough time. By the way, it took me well over a year to figure out what the heck problem some owners were having with startup. That turned out to be it. The issue was the same as this... not being provided with enough detail to correctly diagnose.

6. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Does your car have Smart Key? If so are you keeping the key in a different pocket with your cellphone or MP3 player? Sometimes having the smartkey right next to another electronic device makes it work intermittently.

7. kenopa

kenopa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :angry: We've had two instances in the last year where the gas engine stumbled when starting in cold, wet weather. Resulted in both major alarm and check engine light. After several retries (and some worried looks), vehicle started correctly and alarms self-extinguished. Took to dealer where response was confusion and "well, it's OK now". Believe this may not be rare in case where electric motor functions as starter, possibly "releasing" engine when it senses ingition onset.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Kenopa, have you had the TSB EG011-03 done on that 2003 Prius? If, not, it may be what's needed.

Jason, the new model Prius like yours does not appear to have problems similar to the above, so yours is different I suppose.

9. sivanu

sivanu New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got a 2004 prius with smart key.Parked at the Toronto airport for 1 week and when I tried to open the door or to start there was no response.I had to call Toyota road side assistance and they sent some towing vehicle to help with jump start.($60).It happened last year too when I parked the car in my underground parking for 3 weeks.Any suggestions to avoid these kind of trouble in the future

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Cold weather related? Car won't start unless we try to start about 5-10 times

1. Install a new 12V auxiliary battery first, certainly if the existing battery is original.
    2. Turn off the SE/SS system during extended periods of parking: 1-2 weeks.
    3. Disconnect the 12V battery's negative cable connector (or figure out how to disconnect the wire at the dedicated positive jump start terminal at the main relay/fuse box) when parking the car for three weeks or more.
    4. Carry a portable jump start battery in the car so that you can help yourself next time you have a dead battery.

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having been drained twice the original 12V battery is toast. Replace it.

Alternative to Patrick's #3: instruct a friend in operating the Prius and have them start it and leave it fully ON for at least 30 minutes every two weeks (or more often). But note that this can create more trouble if the friend makes any mistakes (leaves a door ajar, doesn't turn the car ON or OFF correctly, etc.).

12. Gardinia

Gardinia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I have a 2002 prius with 104,000 mls. I bought it with 36,000. I am having trouble starting it in cold weather. It originally had trouble only when it got below zero but lately it happens anytime below 20 when the car sits overnight in the garage. It turns over the first time and stays on for about 20 seconds and then kills. I start it again, this time the warning lights come on and it will stay going for about 20 seconds again or the gas engine will not turn on. I continue doing this until it stays going, usually 4 or 5 tries, the warning lights continue to stay on. My sister suggested replacing the 12 volt battery. How do you know if it's going bad. Does it click, click, click like a regular car's battery when it's dead?

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Cold weather related? Car won't start unless we try to start about 5-10 times

One way you can tell that the 12V auxiliary battery is going bad is if you note that the passenger cabin lights are dimmer than normal, when you enter the car. If you turn on the headlights they will also be dimmer than normal prior to your making the car READY. If you have access to a digital voltmeter and measure battery voltage after the car has been IG-OFF for an hour or more, then a fully charged battery will show 12.6V or better.

You will not hear "clicking" sounds. Those noises are produced by the starter solenoid of a normal vehicle; Prius does not have this part.

Your cold start problem is likely not related to the battery, but rather to the engine ECU needing to be upgraded to the latest revision - assuming that your car has been recently tuned up, iridium spark plugs are in good condition, engine oil viscosity is 5W-30 and not overfilled, and the throttle body and throttle plate have been cleaned.

Unfortunately the engine ECU was covered under emissions warranty only to 80K miles. Rather than spend >$1K at the dealer to have the ECU replaced, I suggest that you first try tuning up the car as described above.

If that doesn't help, then an alternative is to buy a salvage engine ECU of the correct part number and have that part installed. See TSB EG011-03 for more info, which I have posted several times in reply to similar inquiries.

14. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And if any of that is unclear, just ask.

Short answer: probably not the battery, but probably something else that needs dealer attention.

15. lid

lid New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ECM replacement anecdote

During cold weather my Prius started to exhibit the typical symptoms... on start, the engine would run for a few seconds, and then would should off and the master warning lights would come on. Usually, restarting the car would make the problem go away for a while. I thought the problem might be related to my aux battery going dead a few months earlier, but I had someone pull up the error codes and sure enough, I had a P3191. I found a newer version of the TSB (attached), printed it off, and set forth try to convince a dealer to replace the ECM under warranty. The first dealer I went to insisted that it was a fuel tank problem, so I went to try another dealer. This time I circled the ECM part on the TSB... I explained the problem to the new dealer, and they agreed to do the ECM replacement under warranty. In the 10 months since then, I haven't had any more trouble. Hurray!

I should probably note that this is a Classic 2002 Prius...

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  16. KnuckleCracker

KnuckleCracker New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm new here and really need some answers. I just bought my first (used) Prius less than a week ago, and all seemed well until this morning when it wouldn't start as usual... When I depressed the brake and pushed start the interior functions came on but not the READY light - it didn't even flash. I tried again, same thing. I decided to put on the defrost and go out to wipe slush off the car. When I got back in, it started up as usual. Any thoughts? I'm thinking that the behaviour of the READY indicator might be a big clue in diagnosing this problem. If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated!

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

The usual culprit is a weak 12V battery. When was it last replaced?

Tom

18. KnuckleCracker

KnuckleCracker New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question. I really don't know if it has ever been replaced. I have a consolidated vehicle service history from the dealership where it was purchased - this is where it has been serviced since being purchased new in 2005 by the original owner. I see nothing in the service history to indicate that this battery was ever changed. This prius has almost 99,000 kms on it....

19. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's more the age than the Mms for the 12v battery, and yours is getting old. By the way.... you did have your foot on the brake when you tried for ready, right.

Welcome to priuschat and to the prius.

20. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have a voltmeter, measure the "12V" battery voltage at the jump point under the hood with the car off. 12.6V is normal; if it's less than 12.0V, it's dying.

Or, use the built-in self test procedure given here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...has-cold-weather-done-my-beautiful-prius.html

If the battery tests good then there may be a problem with the brake position switch.

Make certain that the floor mat (if any) is engaged in its retaining hooks so that it cannot bunch up under or around the pedals.