1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Combination Meter Replacement cause CD player problems?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wwinters, Nov 15, 2014.

1. wwinters

wwinters Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of all the years reading these discussions I've never found a reason to join since every question I've had on my Prius has been answered here on Priuschat until today. You guys make me sound so knowlegable when I talk to mechanics about my car and I'm extremely grateful.

So my almost 9 year old 2006 prius' Combination Meter was going bad (thank you all for the great discussions on this since it was extreemly intermittent I wouldn't have known to get it replaced). The dealer replaced it but gave me the car back with a scratched up dashboard and broken top vents. They said they would replace both and comped me a detailing, however they returned the car with the old dashboard. When I took it back again they decided it was too expensive to replace the dash (and their mechanic now insists the scratches were already there) but they would clean it up. Now I notice my CD changer keeps trying to read a CD giving and error when there is no CD in it. When I try to insert a CD it's like the player is resting up a little to high for the insertion slot and spits the disk out.

So my question is, while changing the Combo meter would have the mechanic moved or done anything with to the CD player? And if so, is there any chance of they'll do something about fixing it (I'm sure they think I'm trying to suck them dry with freebees and am afraid the mechanic will put sugar in my gas tank if I bring it back to them again). We never use the CD player so I wouldn't notice it being broken accept the clicking sound it now makes when I start the car.

#1 wwinters, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the stereo likely would have been removed in order to remove the combination meter. If the stereo just needs physical adjustment within the dash, the dealer might help.

If the stereo has actually failed, I doubt that the dealer would accept responsibility for its repair since the warranty is 36 months/36K miles.