1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

! comes and problem is displayed on the screen while hard braking.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bry, Aug 27, 2012.

1. bry

bry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    when stopping on occasion the red ! triangle will flicker on for less than a second and problem will be displayed across the top of the display screen. this happens with a pretty aggressive stop. the car is a 2007 with 90K on it. i just checked the brake fluid level and it was about 1/2 way between full and add. i topped it off. i have not test drove it yet to see if this was the problem.
    my question is, will low brake fluid cause the ! triangle and problem screen to appear or do i have another problem?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A possible cause is low engine oil. Does this also happen going around turns quickly? There are reports of this warning coming on for those who didn't check their oil and found it rather low.

If there is a real brake problem, then I would expect a DTC to be set, which could be read with a scanner.

3. Alloosh

Alloosh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I faced the same issue before and it was a low engine oil, I was so upset to find out that my prius burned the oil and I started checking the oil every week.

4. bry

bry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i put the car on the scanner and found not trouble codes in any of the systems that i could think of checking. i just did an oil change today. good chance the level could have been low. i also just changed out the spark plugs and there were no obvious oil deposits on them. the out side of the motor is perfectly dry and clean. i will see if the situation happens again or if the oil change or topping off the mastercylinder makes it go away.

uart likes this.
  5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are reports of more or less sudden increases of oil burning in Prii, so it is not about leakage necessarily.

priuschat.com/threads/high-oil-consumption.110215/
    priuschat.com/threads/one-for-the-experts-only-oil-usage.111686/

6. bry

bry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    that was very informative. i have always put valvoline or toyota oil in at the oil changes. always run a toyota oil filter. i use cheveron or moboil gas almost always.
    im going to replace the pcv valve just because its easy. ill keep track of the oil level and if it drops ill top it off with with one of the additive. kreen was mentioned. ive never heard of it but the review by bob the oil guy seems very good.
    thank you everbody for the great info.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bry how long ago "before you changed the oil" was it since you checked the oil, do you check it every week if not you would be wise to. Waiting for a warning light to come on is to late to protect the engine from damage as it is a dangerously low oil pressure warning meaning, no oil being pumped round the engine. Not an engine is a bit low on oil top it up when you think about it light.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm really surprised that you went to as much trouble as you did (diagnostically), but still didn't look at the dipstick. Truly it's not that hard.

9. bry

bry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the maintenance light had just started flashing when the car was turned on when this started happening. this is my wifes car so i dont drive it very often. also she drives more aggressively than me, resulting in more oil slosh.
    why should i think of low oil level when the car gives me the red ! and just says problem on the display. for a car that is so sophisticated i would think it would say low oil pressure or level not problem.
    i did the oil change only because it was time to not because the level was low. the car has never had this problem before. from now on i will check the dip stick frequently.
    uart, i dont care that your surprised. why would the display showing problem make me think to check oil level?
    i put the car on the scanner because it was available and was looking for a stored code that may have been set. the prius is a unique car and not every body is a fanatic at knowing all of its idiosyncrasies. prius chat is a great resource

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like most cars now the dashboard warning messages are not very informative. And, like all cars for all time, a Prius is susceptible to low oil. Now that this has appeared check the dipstick once per week.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You don't need any particular reason to check the oil level, you do it anyway. Checking the dipstick from time to time (and topping off if needed) is the most important routine maintenance that you can do in any car.

12. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same sign came on with me, it had been 5000 miles approx. since oil had been changed and I never check the oil. I checked the oil, it was BELOW LOW, I have now earned my title of certified idiot; engine still going, it has oil, I check it weekly (no reduction in oil, strangely), and hope to get a few more miles out of the poor thing which has already gone 202,000 miles.