1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Complete shutdown while driving. ECU-IG fuse blown. Why??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rickster2, Jun 2, 2014.

1. rickster2

rickster2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    (CORRECTION: AM1 fuse blew, not ECU-IG)
    (Correction 2: Update 6/3/2014 AM-2 fuse blew, not ECU-IG)

Any ideas on what caused my shutdown and the ECU-IG fuse to blow while driving normally? I want to get educated prior to the dealer's response.

Details:
    I have a "well-maintained" 2006 prius. Saturday while driving about 60mph, about 75degF outside, it just shut off. No front panel display, no warning lights, no power, no power brakes, no power steering. It would not start after an hour and had it towed to the dealer.

It's at the dealer now, and they confirmed that "the fuse related to the keyless entry was blown" (I assume this is the "ECU−IG 7.5 A: Smart entry and startsystem, power windows, multi−informationdisplay, electric power steering,theft deterrent system"). Replacing the fuse allowed it to start and drive, but they want to further diagnose the cause.

I've googled quite a bit and not finding much.

Any ideas?
    I am highly suspicious of my recent service (2 weeks ago) where they:
    - Upgraded software
    - Replaced a cooling valve or something that tripped the check engine light (approx $5oo issue)

Thank you!

#1 rickster2, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This sounds like a potential dangerous problem, I would hope the dealer reports this incident to NHTSA. To have everything shut down while going 60mph is very dangerous issue.

I would definitely let them further diagnose the car.......for the sake of safety. GM ignition issue dejavu

3. rickster2

rickster2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it's not a good thing to loose power. Thank goodness it was a straight section.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This car is not a salvage title car correct?

5. rickster2

rickster2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased it brand new. Best car I have ever owned.

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Intermittent faults are very difficult to locate. Hopefully there are some codes that were stored, that can provide additional help.

One thought is: Do you live in a rodent prone area? There might be wiring damage, which might be hard to find. If the power window system is a possibility, then there are flexing wires at the doors to check.

The big current draw in the ECU-IG list is the power steering system. As that is the only system that would be seeing use in driving, of the ECU's listed, it might be suspect. We have had a number of reports of PS ECU failure over the years. Usually it is the PS ECU that goes, but it could soft fail and blow the upstream fuse as well, I would guess.

We get reports of failed MFD all the time, but they don't seem to blow fuses. You can turn off the smart entry system with the Key button under the steering wheel, to eliminate that branch.

7. rickster2

rickster2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correction: it was the "AM-1" fuse, not the ECU-IG
    The dealer just called, they are still puzzled about the cause. He confirmed with me that we weren't running any accessories or other loads.

nh70,
    Thanks for the response. We're not in rodent area thankfully.
    I am still suspicious of the timing of the software upgrade and the part replacement 2 weeks ago -- per the dealer, it was the "coolant control valve."

And it sounds similar to the issue of this previous recall (which was supposedly implemented on my car):

----------------
    NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls
    Visit Safercar.gov for all vehicle recall information.
    PRIUS
    HYBRID PROPULSION SYSTEM: INVERTER

Recall number: 12V536000
    Recall date: 11/14/2012

Problem Summary:
    TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2004-2009 PRIUS VEHICLES MANUFACTURED AUGUST 6, 2003, THROUGH MARCH 30, 2009 AND FCHV-ADV VEHICLES MANUFACTURED DECEMBER 12, 2008, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 13, 2011. DURING MANUFACTURING, A SCRATCH MAY HAVE OCCURRED INSIDE OF THE ELECTRICALLY DRIVEN WATER PUMP AT THE COIL WIRE. THE COIL WIRE MAY CORRODE AT THE SCRATCHED PORTION.
    Consequence:
    THE CORRODED COIL WIRE MAY BREAK AND THE WATER PUMP COULD STOP. THE CORRODED COIL WIRE COULD CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT BETWEEN COIL WIRES AND A POSSIBLE OPEN FUSE, CREATING A STALL-LIKE CONDITION OF THE HYBRID SYSTEM WHILE THE VEHICLE IS BEING DRIVEN. THIS MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.
    ---

This recall affects vehicles manufactured between 08/06/2003 and 03/30/2009.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The recall on the electric water pump is not a software upgrade. They changed out the electric water pump.

Engine coolant valve doesn't have anything to do with the electric water pump

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your last post was a little muddy. You keep referring to a software update that was done recently. What software update was that?

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Loo...posted the exact thing at the exact time.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok here we go.....

has the car ever been in an accident?

12. rickster2

rickster2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ed,
    - Never in an accident.
    - Yes, the recall was for the water pump. But I mention the coolant valve replacement since that was done only 2 weeks ago and I wonder if a bad coolant valve could cause the same problem.
    - Regarding the software update (also 2 weeks ago), I don't have my service sheet now, so I don't have the terminology, but there was some Prius software update the dealer performed as part of the service.

13. rickster2

rickster2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone know how common it is to blow a fuse while driving that shuts down the engine, gages, power brakes and power steering?

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If this were a common problem, there would be a recall on the cars. This is a serious safety issue. Can't say I've read about this before......definitely a very rare issue with these cars

15. rickster2

rickster2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    JC, Thanks for the perspective.

16. KhaPhoRa

KhaPhoRa Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just last week my EFI fuse blew on the freeway.. My hybrid system continued to work though and I safely made it off the freeway. I scanned and had a U0100 code which is a communication issue.. After reading some it seems some people have corrosion issues under the fuse block in the engine compartment.. I'm really hoping that's not the case and this was a one off incident.

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no such thing as an AM-1 fuse, but there is a 15A AM-2 fuse. If that fuse blew, then my guess is that the inverter coolant pump motor is shorted or is intermittently shorting, which blew the AM-2 fuse.

GrumpyCabbie and koolingit like this.
  18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would make sense the electric water pump would make the fuse blow, that's the thing that was recently changed.

SM-N900P ?

19. rickster2

rickster2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After consulting thru the Toyota chain, the dealer was advised to replace the (recalled) water pump.

The local service advisor didn't have insight as to why they decided this (ie is there suspicion that the recalled pump was not really replaced, or replaced with another bad pump?).

Anyway, my dealer seemed to take this all very seriously and I have been very pleased with their approach and communication.

I should get the car back Tomorrow and perhaps learn more about the suspected cause. I'll post if
    I learn anything.

No charge since it is related to the recall.

Thanks everyone.

20. rickster2

rickster2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Having thought about this more, I am very concerned that they have not identified the cause and that they are guessing at a fix.
    I already had the waterpump recall replacement service.

There are so many driving situations where stalling like this would be catastrophic.

Any thoughts or advice on how to proceed?